Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-28-2021, 04:07 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan View Post
Curious. Would not the move itself create a special event that would allow sign-up? I don't know the answer to this. Curious if others do.
As long as their current coverage is not available at their new location. I assume that is the case if they are changing countries.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2021, 04:18 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

I thought I would have been useful a year ago at the beginning of the pandemic and the lockdowns when so many were thrown out of work and may have benefitted from a special enrollment. I had just arrived in the US from overseas and would have loved the option for ACA coverage. Is there as much need for this open enrollment now? Who knows.
Old 01-28-2021, 04:37 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

It seems the stated purpose for reopening enrollment now would also be reasons for reopening it again on May 16.
Old 01-28-2021, 05:58 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post
It seems the stated purpose for reopening enrollment now would also be reasons for reopening it again on May 16.
And that would be..?
Old 01-28-2021, 06:16 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
As long as their current coverage is not available at their new location. I assume that is the case if they are changing countries.
Even moving to a new area within a state can result in a special enrollment. My daughter did this last year when she moved to the other side of the state to start college. I was able to get her new ACA coverage there and take her off my policy. I was also allowed to change my policy if I wanted to.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
Old 01-28-2021, 06:23 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

A potential harm is an increase in moral hazard.

Opening ACA marketplaces more frequently and for unusual circumstances now sets the precedent that this will happen more in the future. Maybe we will have longer open enrollments, more enrollment periods, or more qualifying events for special enrollment periods (there are already quite a few if one reads them all).

If a person thinks that they can not get insurance and can sign up anytime they need it, without regard to preexisting conditions and without lifetime limits, then they may elect to not buy it ahead of time. This effect might happen even if the person is not correct in their thinking - the incorrect thinking is enough to induce the behavior.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
Old 01-28-2021, 07:27 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
A potential harm is an increase in moral hazard.
+1
Old 01-28-2021, 07:48 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

I'm not the police of what is moral but I do know people still on ACA plans will pay more if selective enrollment starts happening.
Old 01-28-2021, 09:14 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan View Post
And that would be..?
Exactly!
Old 01-28-2021, 11:03 PM   #30

The last administration reduced the amount of time for open enrollment in addition to stopping advertising for open enrollment thereby causing a barrier to accessing health insurance.
Also, the special circumstance enrollment is more complicated and requires increased documentation which may be difficult to come by.
I think open enrollment should be done away with. It’s a scam established by the health insurance industry.
Old 01-29-2021, 02:16 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishgirlyc58 View Post
The last administration reduced the amount of time for open enrollment in addition to stopping advertising for open enrollment thereby causing a barrier to accessing health insurance.
Also, the special circumstance enrollment is more complicated and requires increased documentation which may be difficult to come by.
I think open enrollment should be done away with. It’s a scam established by the health insurance industry.
I don't understand your comment.A lot of things in life are complicated, that doesn't mean they are scams.
Old 01-29-2021, 02:39 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Funny... within 3 paragraphs you went from spot-on to really questionable to off-the-rails.

Medical underwriting, pre-existing conditions and open enrollment are all related. You can have open enrollment if you want, but to have it you need to allow medical underwriting and limitations on coverage for pre-existing conditions. We tried that and it didn't work well at all.

If you want coverage for pre-existing conditions then you need to limit enrollment.

You could have both coverage of pre-existing conditions and open enrollment but most carriers would just stop writing health insurance and if any still did premiums would skyrocket to be more unaffordable than they are today.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 01-29-2021, 02:49 PM   #33

Do we know yet if this special open enrollment period is going to work just like like regular open enrollment, allowing those with an ACA policy in place to re-shop for 2021 coverage?
Old 01-29-2021, 09:11 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolChange View Post
Do we know yet if this special open enrollment period is going to work just like like regular open enrollment, allowing those with an ACA policy in place to re-shop for 2021 coverage?
According to a recently published CMS fact sheet it sounds like current enrollees will be able to make changes.
https://www.cms.gov/newsroom/fact-sh...d-19-emergency
Quote:
Current enrollees will be able to change to any available plan in their area without restriction to the same level of coverage as their current plan. In order to use this SEP, current enrollees will need to step through their application and make any changes if needed to their current information and submit their application in order to receive an updated eligibility result that provides the SEP before continuing on to enrollment.
Old 01-29-2021, 09:17 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Funny... within 3 paragraphs you went from spot-on to really questionable to off-the-rails.

Medical underwriting, pre-existing conditions and open enrollment are all related. You can have open enrollment if you want, but to have it you need to allow medical underwriting and limitations on coverage for pre-existing conditions. We tried that and it didn't work well at all.

If you want coverage for pre-existing conditions then you need to limit enrollment.

You could have both coverage of pre-existing conditions and open enrollment but most carriers would just stop writing health insurance and if any still did premiums would skyrocket to be more unaffordable than they are today.

Just because you don’t agree with what I said doesn’t mean I “went off the rails”
I stand by my statements.
Insurance companies can no longer deny people for pre existing conditions so I’m not sure what your point is.
But if they do what you state it is just one more reason for universal health care.
Old 01-29-2021, 10:10 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Just because you don’t agree with what I said doesn’t mean I “went off the rails”
Insurance companies can no longer deny people for pre existing conditions so I’m not sure what your point is.
But if they do what you state it is just one more reason for universal health care.
You obviously don't get it at all... and you undeniably went off the rails and started talking nonsense. The reason that insurance companies can no longer deny people for pre-existing conditions is only because enrollment is not open.

If you had both no medical underwriting and open enrollment as you advocate, then there would be no need to buy insurance until you get sick... then once you are sick go out and buy a health insurance policy and essentially stick the insurance company (but actually everyone else who buys insurance) with your medical bills. It doesn't work... never has and never will... companies would just stop writing the health insurance rather than lose money writing it.

Employer group plans do not offer open enrollment at anytime for the same reasons.... if an employee misses signing up during their annual enrollment period then they have to wait until the next annual enrollment period... but I don't hear you villifying employer group health insurance.

You can certainly think that "open enrollment should be done away with"... that's the beautiful thing about the first amendment... any yahoo can have an opinion... the trick is defending your view and convincing others and you seem to be coming up short there.... just saying that "I stand by my statements" doesn't cut it... why should we listen to you? Sorry.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 01-29-2021, 10:23 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I don't think you have a good concept of the nuts and bolts of HI coverage..do you buy your car insurance after you have an accident.
Old 01-29-2021, 10:23 PM   #38

But universal health care would do away with the whole open enrollment nonsense.
And a lot of other games insurance companies play with people’s lives.
I never excluded employer sponsored health insurance.
I have no reason to think you know what you are talking about anymore than you have a reason to agree with me.
The difference is you responded to my statements and I in turn responded to you.
Next time scroll on by.
Old 01-29-2021, 10:25 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
But universal health care would do away with the whole open enrollment nonsense.
And a lot of other games insurance companies play with people’s lives.
I never excluded employer sponsored health insurance.
I have no reason to think you know what you are talking about anymore than you have a reason to agree with me.
The difference is you responded to my statements and I in turn responded to you.
Next time scroll on by.
Last I checked we don't have universal health care,why even bring it up...
Old 01-29-2021, 10:26 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
I don't think you have a good concept of the nuts and bolts of HI coverage..do you buy your car insurance after you have an accident.

Universal health care. I understand it quite well.
I don’t see how you equate someone’s health to car insurance.
Do you understand the difference?
Closed Thread