Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-17-2018, 06:26 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Yes, I'm still waiting. Got my initial shot April 30th. Costco threw away their list and I'm on a grocery chain list now.

Finally got my second shot. I posted the above on 11/27 so I waited about 20 days after getting on the list. It helps to tell them if you have already had the first shot - they will give you priority.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2018, 07:21 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thanks for the feedback! I'm curious (even though I've gotten my two shots now) whether or not the supply will increase around the beginning of the year, as promised.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 06:18 AM   #63

One of my local pharmacies said that the vaccine would not be available until July. My doctor's office doesn't have it, she said go to my pharmacy.
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 07:18 AM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Thanks for the feedback! I'm curious (even though I've gotten my two shots now) whether or not the supply will increase around the beginning of the year, as promised.
No... I was in the local Sam's Club and asked about this. They have a current waiting list of people waiting for shot number two and a future waiting list for people waiting for shot number one.

I said since we were leaving for a good part of the winter I'd wait and sign up when I got back and the reply was you might as well sign-up now it's going to be a long wait.
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 10:39 AM   #65

I was at the local military treatment facility yesterday and they offered me the shot. After a series of questions I deferred for another year since I am at the low end of the age range and the vaccine is relatively new. I want to give it a little more time for more people to get it and learn more about any potential side effects.
JDARNELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 03:40 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Had my second shot a week or so ago. The next day had very low energy, and mild sore arm at the site of shot. Three days later all was well.
Old 12-18-2018, 03:57 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Had my second shot a week or so ago. The next day had very low energy, and mild sore arm at the site of shot. Three days later all was well.
Got my second shot yesterday and I'm feeling chilled and run down - just like after the first one. Good excuse to goof off.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 04:14 PM   #68
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDARNELL View Post
I want to give it a little more time for more people to get it and learn more about any potential side effects.
It's been out for over a year, net, not new. There have been all kinds of comments on side effects - from none to ill for a day or two, but mainly a sore arm for 1-2 days.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 07:08 AM   #69

After three shots (Shingrix, Flu, Shingrix) a few months apart, I began to notice that I did have some very mild soreness, for weeks after each shot. I didn't really notice during the day, but at night it consistently felt like I'd "slept wrong" on my left arm, but never my right. It wasn't until weeks later, when it stopped happening, that I connected it to the three shots, all in my left arm.

This is nowhere near reason enough not to get a shot, but it was a good almost double-blind test, since the patient (me) was unaware of it, as were the providers who gave me the shot. Interesting that it happened after all three shots. This suggests that maybe it's not the shingrix vaccine, but just the whole "shot experience" which causes the mild soreness.

I think too often these reports of side effects are used as an excuse not to get a medically beneficial shot.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 07:15 AM   #70

Had my annual physical a couple weeks ago and talked to my doctor about getting it. He said he got the first shot and it knocked him on his a** for 24 hrs. I've looked around locally for it but no one has it in stock.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 11:16 PM   #71
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDARNELL View Post
I was at the local military treatment facility yesterday and they offered me the shot. After a series of questions I deferred for another year since I am at the low end of the age range and the vaccine is relatively new. I want to give it a little more time for more people to get it and learn more about any potential side effects.
I've watched three people (including my mother-in-law) go through full-blown shingles. One of them is younger than me.

The disease seems far worse than the (known so far) risks. My spouse and I took the Zostavax shot, and we raced to get the Shingrix shots too.

She had no side effects from any of them. I was usually a little sore in the arm for a day.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 08:35 AM   #72
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I've watched three people (including my mother-in-law) go through full-blown shingles. One of them is younger than me.

The disease seems far worse than the (known so far) risks. My spouse and I took the Zostavax shot, and we raced to get the Shingrix shots too.
+1.

I'd get the shot in a minute if I could find a place that has it available. I've been looking for months.
lucky penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 08:38 AM   #73

Here's a question. It doesn't really affect anything but I've been curious ever since I heard about the 2-shot concept.
Is there any difference between dose #1 & dose #2?

Is dose #2 the exact same thing as dose #1? Or is dose #2 a different/stronger/weaker/larger/smaller dose than shot #1?

I just now got a call from the pharmacy whose list I've been on since June or July. I'll be getting it on Wed
razztazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 08:49 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz View Post
Is dose #2 the exact same thing as dose #1? Or is dose #2 a different/stronger/weaker/larger/smaller dose than shot #1?
Two pharmacists have told me that the shots are exactly the same in every way. My significant other and I have had both shots. The only symptoms we encountered were slightly sore arms for about a day (or two).
Old 12-22-2018, 08:59 AM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Here's a question. It doesn't really affect anything but I've been curious ever since I heard about the 2-shot concept.
Is there any difference between dose #1 & dose #2?

I just now got a call from the pharmacy whose list I've been on since June or July. I'll be getting it on Wed
not to be a Debbie downer but are you sure you want to split this into two calendars years? Will it cost you more money?
Old 12-22-2018, 09:17 AM   #76

I just thought to ask our insurer if they cover the Shringrix shot at age 50, and yes they started that coverage this year. So DH and I will start looking to get our first shots, or get on a waiting list. I'm 56 and he's 59.
O2Bfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 09:23 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
not to be a Debbie downer but are you sure you want to split this into two calendars years? Will it cost you more money?
Are you referring to insurance deductibles or something?

I consider this essentially a non-expense. Not enough to matter for budgetary purposes. In fact, I was going to just get them at full retail price but thought, IF I were to have had a bad reaction, the insurance wouldn't want to cover treatment for that that since they had not paid for the shot.

Worrying about money is for people who don't have enough money. This is a well-worth-it expense no matter what it costs. (Up to some reasonable limit, of course. I wouldn't pay $10,000 for it)
Old 12-22-2018, 09:42 AM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Are you referring to insurance deductibles or something?

I consider this essentially a non-expense. Not enough to matter for budgetary purposes. In fact, I was going to just get them at full retail price but thought, IF I were to have had a bad reaction, the insurance wouldn't want to cover treatment for that that since they had not paid for the shot.

Worrying about money is for people who don't have enough money. This is a well-worth-it expense no matter what it costs. (Up to some reasonable limit, of course. I wouldn't pay $10,000 for it)
I was just curious that's all and I agree it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. But I think you are misinformed about your insurance not covering a possible bad reaction. but better to be safe then sorry. I'm not poor but if I'd waited this long and waiting another week would save me some money I'd probably do it.
Old 12-30-2018, 02:38 PM   #79
Full time employment: Posting here.

Yesterday when I went to my pharmacy (Walgreens/Duane Reade) for a flu shot & pneumonia shot #2, I asked afterwards about the shingles shot, as I've been doing for weeks. They had it! ("But don't tell anyone," the pharmacist said, "because we don't have much.") She told me to come back the next day & I just got it.

My left arm is still sore from yesterday's shots & based on the reports here I'm expecting consequences with this one. I'm a wimp, I admit, but glad I got it.
lucky penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 03:38 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky penny View Post
Yesterday when I went to my pharmacy (Walgreens/Duane Reade) for a flu shot & pneumonia shot #2, I asked afterwards about the shingles shot, as I've been doing for weeks. They had it! ("But don't tell anyone," the pharmacist said, "because we don't have much.") She told me to come back the next day & I just got it.

My left arm is still sore from yesterday's shots & based on the reports here I'm expecting consequences with this one. I'm a wimp, I admit, but glad I got it.
I got dose #1 Thursday. Yes. Sore arm! Much more and longer lasting than just a flu shot. The amount of substance seemed larger than a flu shot. So, I guess if you pump the tissue full of stuff it'll hurt in proportion.

Onset of of muscle ache/joint pain apprx 5 hours after injection. Lasted 48 hours. Also, even though I was tired and had that 'coming down with something" malaise feeling, Thurs and Friday night I had trouble staying asleep. Was up and tossing/turning all night. Couldn't figure out why I'd have insomnia when I felt so depleted. Don't know if anyone else had that feature.