Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-04-2020, 01:44 PM   #741
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

DH and I got our first shot today. His doc said medicare would pay more if he went to a pharmacy and got the shot, so we made appts and went to CVS.

He got a pneumonia shot and a shingrix shot. His copay was $47. Unfortunately my BCBS would not pay for shingrix at the pharmacy. I had to go to a minute clinic. So off we go to a CVS minute clinic about a mile away. I got my shot and the cost was 0. We'll both go back in two months to get the second shot.

DH said his shots hurt, but my shot didn't bother me. I felt it, but I wouldn't consider it painful. We took ibuprofen when we got back home.

Now we wait to see if we have any side effects.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2020, 06:47 PM   #742
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
DH and I got our first shot today. His doc said medicare would pay more if he went to a pharmacy and got the shot, so we made appts and went to CVS.

He got a pneumonia shot and a shingrix shot. His copay was $47. Unfortunately my BCBS would not pay for shingrix at the pharmacy. I had to go to a minute clinic. So off we go to a CVS minute clinic about a mile away. I got my shot and the cost was 0.
Was it medicare or his part D that paid for his? I'm on medicare and had to pay $170.90 for the first shot and in two months another $179.90.
Time2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 10:32 PM   #743
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2 View Post
Was it medicare or his part D that paid for his? I'm on medicare and had to pay $170.90 for the first shot and in two months another $179.90.
Ahhhh sorry, I should have gone into more detail. DH does have a drug plan with Well Care.

The pharmacy employee asked for his medicare card and drug card. After she rang up the pneumonia shot and shingrix shot, the total to be paid was $47. We're not sure if the amount owed was because of benefits from both cards or not. I'm not on medicare (yet) and dh hasn't been on it long, so it's still a bit confusing. When he gets his second shot in a couple of months, we have no idea what he'll have to pay.
Old 12-04-2020, 11:24 PM   #744

The Pneumonia shot is covered 100% as a preventive under Medicare Part B.

Shingrix shots are not covered by Part B, but are covered by a Part D drug plan, at whatever price the specific drug plan pays for it, at whatever pharmacy one chooses, depending if Standard or Preferred pharmacy. After the Part D plan's deductible is met.
Old 12-05-2020, 07:10 AM   #745
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly View Post
The Pneumonia shot is covered 100% as a preventive under Medicare Part B.

Shingrix shots are not covered by Part B, but are covered by a Part D drug plan, at whatever price the specific drug plan pays for it, at whatever pharmacy one chooses, depending if Standard or Preferred pharmacy. After the Part D plan's deductible is met.
Just one more reason I got my shots with zero copay before hitting 65 y.o.
Old 12-05-2020, 07:32 AM   #746
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Ahhhh sorry, I should have gone into more detail. DH does have a drug plan with Well Care.

The pharmacy employee asked for his medicare card and drug card. After she rang up the pneumonia shot and shingrix shot, the total to be paid was $47. We're not sure if the amount owed was because of benefits from both cards or not. I'm not on medicare (yet) and dh hasn't been on it long, so it's still a bit confusing. When he gets his second shot in a couple of months, we have no idea what he'll have to pay.
Hmmm. I have a supplement with Wellcare but had to pay $160 for the shingrix shot a few weeks ago at CVS. Also got a pneumonia the same day. Maybe I have a different Wellcare plan.
Old 12-05-2020, 08:27 AM   #747
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
Just one more reason I got my shots with zero copay before hitting 65 y.o.
That was definitely a consideration for DH! I got mine at the same time.
Old 12-05-2020, 01:10 PM   #748
Full time employment: Posting here.

I got my first shot yesterday, my wife got her second. Both of us have sore arms, she also has a headache.

We got the shots at CVS. Insurance paid, i had shingles a few years ago and i definatly don’t want them again.

I guess I need to get a pneumonia shot next.
dm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 01:50 PM   #749
Recycles dryer sheets

Shingrix at Kroger for free covered by ACA and we both had a sore arm for about two days. The soreness was about 5x what the flu shot was. Been over a week and no other side effects.
CDRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 01:53 PM   #750
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm View Post
I got my first shot yesterday, my wife got her second. Both of us have sore arms, she also has a headache.

We got the shots at CVS. Insurance paid, i had shingles a few years ago and i definatly don’t want them again.

I guess I need to get a pneumonia shot next.
I had them when I was 16...excruciating pain that no one should ever have to endure.

So far, the only 'reaction' dh and I have from the shot is sore arms. I hope y'all feel better soon.
Old 12-05-2020, 10:04 PM   #751
gone traveling

Never had the shot and never had shingles and had chicken pox as kid...so, something is working good for me. I take some natural calmers to keep myself de stressed and use my mind for that too,

My neighbor just did the Chingrex (sp) and she's into 3 months of horrible nausea. She is convinced it was the shot.
jam12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 10:14 PM   #752

jam,

Again, I don’t know where to start.
stephenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 11:03 PM   #753
gone traveling

Stephenson: Can you explain ... I posted what works for me...that's it.
jam12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 11:55 PM   #754
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Hmmm. I have a supplement with Wellcare but had to pay $160 for the shingrix shot a few weeks ago at CVS. Also got a pneumonia the same day. Maybe I have a different Wellcare plan.
When I was setting up the plan D for a very old relative, I found just for his zip code there were around 6 Wellcare plans available.

A general comment about Plan D:
One "trick" with the plan D choices is that it's VERY important to pick the pharmacy you want to use, as an included preferred pharmacy has much lower drug prices than a included standard pharmacy.
It's nice that the medicare.gov site allows a person to select 5 pharmacies, so one can see which are preferred for various plans.
Old 12-05-2020, 11:57 PM   #755
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I had my shingles shot, the second one was done by a newbie, so she JAMMED it in. My arm was sore for 2 days.

Otherwise I had no ill effects from getting the shingles shots, pneumonia shot, and the flu shot.
Old 12-06-2020, 12:42 AM   #756

Quote:
Originally Posted by jam12 View Post
Never had the shot and never had shingles and had chicken pox as kid...so, something is working good for me.
I think it's like SEC Rule 156, which requires a warning statement on investment funds:
"Past performance is not indicative of future results"
Old 12-06-2020, 05:31 AM   #757

Quote:
Originally Posted by jam12 View Post
Never had the shot and never had shingles and had chicken pox as kid...so, something is working good for me. I take some natural calmers to keep myself de stressed and use my mind for that too,

My neighbor just did the Chingrex (sp) and she's into 3 months of horrible nausea. She is convinced it was the shot.
Jam, you are just lucky. Maybe you will avoid Shingles but maybe you will not. Take it from someone who had a horrible case of Shingles before there was a vaccine--YOU DON'T WANT SHINGLES. I highly recommend the Shingrix shot. Most side effects are mild and short lived.
harllee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 05:53 AM   #758
Give me a forum ...

I had the old shingles shot when I turned 60. I've since had what I am pretty sure was a mild patch of shingles on one arm. I thought at first it was a reaction to pruning oleander, but it didn't respond to steroid cream and didn't truly itch - more of an electric stinging sensation, very unpleasant. Went away in 10 days.

Mentioned this during my recent physical. The Dr. agreed it sounded like very mild shingles. He recommended getting Shingrix when I turn 65.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 06:24 AM   #759

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I had the old shingles shot when I turned 60. I've since had what I am pretty sure was a mild patch of shingles on one arm. I thought at first it was a reaction to pruning oleander, but it didn't respond to steroid cream and didn't truly itch - more of an electric stinging sensation, very unpleasant. Went away in 10 days.

Mentioned this during my recent physical. The Dr. agreed it sounded like very mild shingles. He recommended getting Shingrix when I turn 65.
Amethyst--why wait until 65? Can't you get the Shingrix shots now? I bet your under 65 insurance will pay more on the cost than Medicare will--most Medicare part D plans pay very little for Shingrix. Check what your current insurance will pay. I have had Shingles 3 times--twice even after the old shot but I quit having Shingles after I took the Shingrix shots.
harllee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 06:32 AM   #760
Give me a forum ...

I have Federal BCBS. If I also take Medicare at 65, I should hope I wouldn't have to pay anything for a shot that the Dr. advises - what with paying two insurance premiums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
Amethyst--why wait until 65? Can't you get the Shingrix shots now? I bet your under 65 insurance will pay more on the cost than Medicare will--most Medicare part D plans pay very little for Shingrix. Check what your current insurance will pay. I have had Shingles 3 times--twice even after the old shot but I quit having Shingles after I took the Shingrix shots.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote