Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-25-2021, 06:38 PM   #841
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I got my first Shingles shot at 6:30am on 1-10-21, I didn't feel the needle nor did I feel the liquid go in, my arm was only slightly sore for the day.
I got my second shot on 2-23-21 at 6:30am, I the needle hurt going in, The liquid hurt going in and my arm was very sore for about 36 hours and and just a little sore after that. The same person gave me the shot both times, the first time I told her, she did great! "I didn't even feel it." I didn't say anything the second time :-)
I made 7 attempts to get the Covid vaccine a couple of weeks after the Shingles vaccine and failed, so I just got the second shingles vaccine and will wait a while before trying for the Covid vaccine again.
Glad to have it done! It cost me $178 for the first one and $198 for the second. Inflation I guess.
Time2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2021, 06:59 PM   #842
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2 View Post
I got my first Shingles shot at 6:30am on 1-10-21, I didn't feel the needle nor did I feel the liquid go in, my arm was only slightly sore for the day.
I got my second shot on 2-23-21 at 6:30am, I the needle hurt going in, The liquid hurt going in and my arm was very sore for about 36 hours and and just a little sore after that. The same person gave me the shot both times, the first time I told her, she did great! "I didn't even feel it." I didn't say anything the second time :-)
I made 7 attempts to get the Covid vaccine a couple of weeks after the Shingles vaccine and failed, so I just got the second shingles vaccine and will wait a while before trying for the Covid vaccine again.
Glad to have it done! It cost me $178 for the first one and $198 for the second. Inflation I guess.
In our case, the difference in shot 1 and shot 2 price was the level of insurance coverage. It was between two years that we got shot one and two. IIRC the first shot was on the order of $50 and the second was about $180 - both WITH our insurance.

In any case, worth it at 5 times the price NOT to get shingles though YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 12:55 PM   #843

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boho View Post
I want this vaccine from a nurse who works around other nurses. I want as little muscle penetration and tissue damage as possible. I'm trying to avoid my local supermarket's pharmacy for this one.
I just read this from 2018 when Shingrix was new:

"The Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS), part of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)...looked at 155 reports about Shingrix, 13 of which involved at least 1 error...Nine of the errors took place in a pharmacy, 2 occurred in a health care provider’s office, and 2 occurred in sites that were unknown."

Once again, I think I'll be walking the mile to urgent care for my vaccines even though the supermarket pharmacy is much closer.
Boho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 01:28 PM   #844
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boho View Post
I just read this from 2018 when Shingrix was new:

"The Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS), part of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)...looked at 155 reports about Shingrix, 13 of which involved at least 1 error...Nine of the errors took place in a pharmacy, 2 occurred in a health care provider’s office, and 2 occurred in sites that were unknown."

Once again, I think I'll be walking the mile to urgent care for my vaccines even though the supermarket pharmacy is much closer.
Let us hope providers have now forgotten how to administer Zostavax and know how to administer Shingrix. It was interesting to note that there was no belief that the improper administration of the vaccine would lead to less effectiveness - only to higher incidences of adverse effects (fairly common apparently even IF administered correctly.) YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Old 03-02-2021, 02:00 PM   #845
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Was speaking yesterday with a friend who happens to be a medical doctor. We were speaking about the 2nd shot reaction of some folks to the Covid19 vaccination, but what she suggested should be true for any "series" type vaccination. She stated that a strong reaction to the second shot is a "good" thing (assuming it's not too severe.) The "reaction" means that the first shot DID supply excellent protection against (whatever.) YMMV
So I guess I'm screwed? I didn't have a reaction to either Shingrix shots, in fact I've never had a reaction to any vaccine. Personally, I don't think how you react means squat. I hope I'm right.
garyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 02:10 PM   #846
Give me a forum ...

I'm ALMOST ready to get the Shingrix shots. I got the old one 6 years ago. First there was the issue with so many people not being able to get the second one, so I waited. Then there was COVID and I didn't want to get side effects that might make me panic and think it was COVID. And now... just got the first COVID shot, another a month from now and a mammogram a month after that, which I was supposed to get yesterday except that I learned that the COVID vaccine (and others?) can cause lymph node swelling that may look like Something Bad on a mammogram. (I confirmed this with the doc's office- we moved the appointment.) I'm also wary of getting Shingrix while the COVID shots are working their way through my system.

After the mammogram, I guess.
athena53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 02:34 PM   #847
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I'm ALMOST ready to get the Shingrix shots. I got the old one 6 years ago. First there was the issue with so many people not being able to get the second one, so I waited. Then there was COVID and I didn't want to get side effects that might make me panic and think it was COVID. And now... just got the first COVID shot, another a month from now and a mammogram a month after that, which I was supposed to get yesterday except that I learned that the COVID vaccine (and others?) can cause lymph node swelling that may look like Something Bad on a mammogram. (I confirmed this with the doc's office- we moved the appointment.) I'm also wary of getting Shingrix while the COVID shots are working their way through my system.

After the mammogram, I guess.
Athena, don't delay the Shingrix vaccine! Personally I would put the Shingrix vaccine before the mammogram. Having Shingles is awful.
harllee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 03:36 PM   #848

Folks looking to get the Shingrx vaccine but who will be paying out of pocket may want to check GoodRX.com and see what the GoodRX pricing is in their area. For the area I'm in, Costco is not the least expensive.

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 05:02 PM   #849
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
Athena, don't delay the Shingrix vaccine! Personally I would put the Shingrix vaccine before the mammogram. Having Shingles is awful.
You gotta weigh the risks. I'm at high risk of BC due to family history. I suppose I could get the first Shingrix dose right now (next COVID is 3/27, mammogram is 4/27) and the second after the mammogram since you can wait 2-6 months, but I'm not sure about throwing two powerful vaccines into my system so close together.

I'll do some research.
Old 03-02-2021, 05:15 PM   #850
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
You gotta weigh the risks. I'm at high risk of BC due to family history. I suppose I could get the first Shingrix dose right now (next COVID is 3/27, mammogram is 4/27) and the second after the mammogram since you can wait 2-6 months, but I'm not sure about throwing two powerful vaccines into my system so close together.

I'll do some research.

The CDC recommends at least 14 days between COVID and any other vaccination.

Quote:
Coadministration with other vaccines
Given the lack of data on the safety and efficacy of mRNA COVID-19 vaccines administered simultaneously with other vaccines, the vaccine series should routinely be administered alone, with a minimum interval of 14 days before or after administration with any other vaccine. However, mRNA COVID-19 and other vaccines may be administered within a shorter period in situations where the benefits of vaccination are deemed to outweigh the potential unknown risks of vaccine coadministration (e.g., tetanus toxoid-containing vaccination as part of wound management, rabies vaccination for post-exposure prophylaxis, measles or hepatitis A vaccination during an outbreak) or to avoid barriers or delays to mRNA COVID-19 vaccination (e.g., in long-term care facility residents or healthcare personnel who received influenza or other vaccinations prior to/upon admission or onboarding). If mRNA COVID-19 vaccines are administered within 14 days of another vaccine, doses do not need to be repeated for either vaccine.
Source:https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-1...derations.html
Old 03-03-2021, 04:37 PM   #851
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyt View Post
So I guess I'm screwed? I didn't have a reaction to either Shingrix shots, in fact I've never had a reaction to any vaccine. Personally, I don't think how you react means squat. I hope I'm right.
Heh, heh, since I REALLY do NOT want to get shingles (DW had as relayed above) I hope I am right - though I hope you are safe as well.

Old 03-03-2021, 06:37 PM   #852
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
The CDC recommends at least 14 days between COVID and any other vaccination.
Source:https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-1...derations.html
Thanks. The weekend between my 2 COVID vaccines is the weekend I have to be on Zoom all of Saturday and part of Sunday for an on-line class that's the final one I need for a Lay Preaching License and it's given only in March. I cannot be down with a vaccine side effect, not that I'm expecting one for Shingrx but it would be just my luck...

Let's hope the immunity from the old Shingles vaccine I had 5.5 years ago holds for a few more weeks,
Old 03-03-2021, 09:38 PM   #853

I saved a snapshot of a GoodRx and a SingleCare coupon for Walgreens but I don't like the way they work. No expiration date or bar code and nothing firm about how much I'll save or what the price will be. It makes me wonder whether they'll even do anything. But I like that Walgreens has an online sign-up form for vaccines, unlike Stop & Shop's pharmacy which you have to call just to see if they have Shingrix.
Old 03-04-2021, 02:14 AM   #854

Shingrix shot 2 in the arm. I feel chills and like I have a low grade flu. Sore arm, too.
jim584672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 09:34 AM   #855

Got shot #2 yesterday. Got it in my right arm hoping that it being used more would work out the soreness. Then I shoveled and spread mulch in my yard. Thinking all these things might help.

Huge mistake. My right arm began hurting with pain I’ve never experienced before. I couldn’t hold it in a position it didn’t throb in pain. About this time I also started having a headache and mild fever.

Last night was miserable. I was very tired but couldn’t sleep much at all due to pain, fever, and body aches. Today, 24 hours later, I’m fairly miserable. My right arm is still basically unusable although I can hold it in a position where it’s not painful. My head and body still ache.

Hopefully I turn the corner soon. My first shingles shot was unpleasant, but nothing like this. Truly, if I had it to do over again, I think I’d take my chances with shingles. Just want to get through this.
Old 03-13-2021, 09:38 AM   #856

Muir Im so sorry to hear this but still glad you got the shot. My sister had to lie in bed with her bare a$$ in the air for a week with shingles. Too excruciating to move or rollover. No consideration of clothing or sheet on top. Hope your arms improves soonest
MrsHaloFIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 10:06 AM   #857

Muir,

It may feel like that is a rational thing to say, but, given the extraordinary pain and lifetime of outbreaks, I think you have overstated 😀
stephenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 10:46 AM   #858

The part about arm use after the vaccine is useful though. Some people say exercise helps but I'll limit it to cardio. I'm still trying to find a reliable source of information on exercise lessening the pain.
Old 03-13-2021, 10:59 AM   #859
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuirWannabe View Post
Got shot #2 yesterday. Got it in my right arm hoping that it being used more would work out the soreness. Then I shoveled and spread mulch in my yard. Thinking all these things might help.

Huge mistake. My right arm began hurting with pain I’ve never experienced before. I couldn’t hold it in a position it didn’t throb in pain. About this time I also started having a headache and mild fever.

Last night was miserable. I was very tired but couldn’t sleep much at all due to pain, fever, and body aches. Today, 24 hours later, I’m fairly miserable. My right arm is still basically unusable although I can hold it in a position where it’s not painful. My head and body still ache.

Hopefully I turn the corner soon. My first shingles shot was unpleasant, but nothing like this. Truly, if I had it to do over again, I think I’d take my chances with shingles. Just want to get through this.
Muir so sorry about your bad side effects to Shingrix. I hope they go away soon..but you were right to not take chances with Shingles. I had so much pain from Shingles I could not drive or go to work for a month. Now almost 20 years later I still have pain in the area of the blisters. My DH had Shingles near his eye, terrible pain for weeks, they were afraid he was going to lose his eye sight.
harllee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 11:23 AM   #860

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenson View Post
Muir,

It may feel like that is a rational thing to say, but, given the extraordinary pain and lifetime of outbreaks, I think you have overstated 😀
Stephenson,

You seem to be obsessed with shingles & Shingrix. You routinely post one line replies anytime someone posts something unfavorable about Shingrix. Despite lacking any medical credentials, you downplayed my horrendous experience with my single dose (complete deafness in one ear, with symptoms beginning within hours of vaccination) and tried to get me to change my mind (unsuccessfully) about getting the 2nd Shingrix dose. Someone else in this forum tried to explain away my experience by improperly comparing it to when someone exhibits flu symptoms after getting a flu vaccine. VAERS data is compelling evidence that my experience while rare, was hardly unique, and case descriptions were remarkably similar to my experience.

My primary care doctor immediately told me not to get the 2nd dose of Shingrix when I told her of my ordeal. She also told me something that I had already learned, that a single Shingrix dose has 85% efficacy (actually 90% for my age cohort). She put in my electronic medical record that I am allergic to Shingrix. FWIW, two trusted friends who are medical doctors also told me I should not get the 2nd dose of Shingrix.

I haven't downplayed anyone's suffering from shingles. I am quite aware that it can be awful. But I would urge other posters not to minimize someone's experience from the Shingrix vaccine, and to think twice before giving unsolicited medical advice.
anethum is offline   Reply With Quote