Join Early Retirement Today

New Shingrx Shingles Vaccine
Old 08-24-2021, 06:19 PM   #921
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

New Shingrx Shingles Vaccine

I got Zostavax in 2014. When Shingrix first came out there were so many stories here of people who got the first dose and couldn't find anywhere to get the second dose so I waited... and then COVID came and I didn't want side effects that might make me paranoid that I had COVID. Later I didn't want to get COVID and Shingrix vaccines too close together even though apparently it's not a problem.

So... FINALLY got the first dose in May. I got the second yesterday on the spur of the moment since I was at CVS anyway for a COVID test. (Returned Friday from a cruise with 2 positive cases, tested negative myself but then passed through a few airports and planes on the way home and wanted to be sure.)

No symptoms either time except a sore arm- this time the muscle pain seems to be a little more widespread and persistent. Happy to have it over with.

My youngest brother was still in diapers when all of us got chickenpox and he gets attacks of shingles every once in awhile- which reminds me I need to tell DS (age 35) to get immunized eventually. The chickenpox vaccine wasn't widely available back then.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2021, 12:37 PM   #922
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Got my first shot of shingrix yesterday. No symptoms except for a sore arm. Actually the pneumonia shot that I got two weeks ago was more sore.
bmcgonig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 06:59 AM   #923
Dryer sheet wannabe

Got my 2nd shot on Wednesday. Shoulder was pretty sore on yesterday, but pain is just about gone this morning. Supposedly 90% protected now. One less thing to worry about!
buckskinbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 07:56 AM   #924
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I got Zostavax in 2014.

<SNIP>
I also had the early (Zostavax) shot before getting my two Shingrix shots. I wonder if having both offers any greater immunity?

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 11:37 AM   #925
Give me a forum ...

I cannot remember if I ever had the chicken pox. I can remember getting one rashy inflection as a kid, but I cannot remember if it was measles or the chicken pox. In any case, after discussing this at my last annual physical, I am taking the "better safe than sorry" approach and just received my first Shingrix shot today. No side effect symptoms so far, and I feel zero soreness in my shoulder.

I was more concerned when they check my temperature with a forehead gun and it reed 99.1 - uh oh, potential low grade fever.... could it be...? But they took it again with a mouth thermometer and it was 98.1. I will chalk it up to a going for a brisk walk on a hot sunny morning before entering the doctors office and being seen right away.
Old 08-27-2021, 11:42 AM   #926

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
I cannot remember if I ever had the chicken pox. I can remember getting one rashy inflection as a kid, but I cannot remember if it was measles or the chicken pox. In any case, after discussing this at my last annual physical, I am taking the "better safe than sorry" approach and just received my first Shingrix shot today.
I was the same, but when I mentioned it to my doctor he said it's quite common to have chicken pox as a child with no symptoms whatever. So we most probably had it without knowing.
Old 08-27-2021, 01:06 PM   #927
Recycles dryer sheets

ms gamboolgal and I got the 2 shot Shingrx series a year or two ago, and glad we did.

We both had the Chicken Pox as kids and we have known adults who got Shingles and we will do all we can to prevent getting them.

Shots always make me abit sore and feverish - same with the Shingrx shots - but it was not a big issue for either of us
gamboolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 02:08 PM   #928
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamboolman View Post
We both had the Chicken Pox as kids and we have known adults who got Shingles and we will do all we can to prevent getting them.
I need to remind DS, who's 35, to get immunized when he's eligible. I remember very well when he got chickenpox- we had tickets to go into NYC to see The Nutcracker, including bus transportation in and out from NJ, and the day before he woke up with itchy red spots. The pediatrician confirmed it and even though DS wasn't really feeling sick, the doc read me the riot act and told me of the dire consequences that could ensue if we attended the performance and he sneezed and there was a pregnant woman or other vulnerable person across the room, who hadn't had chickenpox.

We gave the tickets to friends.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 09:13 PM   #929
Recycles dryer sheets

I just got the first of the two shots and was down for the count the next day. Aches and pains and felt like crap. Then the day after I felt great. I hope that doesnt happen after the 2nd shot in two months
Old 08-31-2021, 04:38 AM   #930
Recycles dryer sheets

First shingrix shot, no reaction other than a sore arm. 2nd shingrix shot, developed a low fever and headache about 11 hours after shot that lasted 24 hours. I have never had a reaction on any shot I received until this, including the covid vaccines. This reaction wasn't bad and worth it not to get shingles.

Next up is my covid booster hopefully in mid October and also sometime this fall a flu shot....feeling a little like a pin cushion...but it's all good.
becca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 09:09 PM   #931

Wondering when this sore arm starts??

I got my first dose today about 8 hours ago and I would not even know anything happened except for the band-aid.

Staring to wonder if I got saline or something. Not normally paranoid but heck I should have at least a faint twinge.
badatmath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 09:46 PM   #932
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by badatmath View Post
Wondering when this sore arm starts??

I got my first dose today about 8 hours ago and I would not even know anything happened except for the band-aid.

Staring to wonder if I got saline or something. Not normally paranoid but heck I should have at least a faint twinge.
Heh, heh, check back tomorrow. Of course, you just could be the first person I've heard of who doesn't get at LEAST a sore arm. That would be cool!

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Old 09-11-2021, 06:54 AM   #933

I don't recall a sore arm, although it was a long time ago. Likewise the COVID shots. The only soreness with those came from the Doc who administered the first one doing a lousy job of it. I don't think she administered shots in her daily practice, whatever that might have been. They were pulling in anyone who was qualified to give shots. The soreness was highly localized and seemed more due to bruising than the vaccine itself.

Like you, I was left wondering if the shots were doing any good. I think I'd rather get some mild symptoms so I know the immune response is working. It's almost time for another flu shot and hopefully the COVID booster. We'll see if my luck holds.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 12:26 PM   #934

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Heh, heh, check back tomorrow. Of course, you just could be the first person I've heard of who doesn't get at LEAST a sore arm. That would be cool!
Well it has been about 24 hours now and arm only very slightly sore if I raise it.

Maybe shot 2 will get me!

Going to try for a flu shot next month.
badatmath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 05:10 PM   #935
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Well it has been about 24 hours now and arm only very slightly sore if I raise it.

I hope you don't get as sick as I did. I was wiped out! YMMV

Old 09-12-2021, 06:21 PM   #936
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

My first dose of Shingrix didn't do anything. The second dose was a pretty strong response with sore arm, achy and a bit feverish for an evening. I normally don't have much response to vaccines and I've had the full gambit of jabs in my life. The only vaccination worse than the second Shingrix for me was the second Moderna covid dose.

This year's flu shot was no reaction at all for me, same as every other year. I'm resigned to getting the Moderna booster as soon as/if it is released for general population, but I'm not looking forward to it.
bada bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 12:17 AM   #937

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Like you, I was left wondering if the shots were doing any good. I think I'd rather get some mild symptoms so I know the immune response is working.
The Covid shots are supposed to provide (generate) Covid antibodies in you to be able to do their job.

Factoid: When one donates blood to the Red Cross (as I do) they have been testing your blood donation for Covid antibodies. Before I got my Covid shots (Pfizer, both doses) my blood donations tested negative for Covid antibodies. My first blood donation "after" I got my Pfizer shots, my blood tested positive for Covid antibodies. That told me my Pfizer Covid shots were acting exactly how they said they were designed--to give me Covid antibodies. I have donated blood four times since then, and each time my blood still tests positive for Covid antibodies.

Not sure how much longer Red Cross is going to do this particular testing. I think they said they were going to stop it at some point soon.
Old 09-28-2021, 01:23 PM   #938

Quote:
Originally Posted by bada bing View Post
My first dose of Shingrix didn't do anything. The second dose was a pretty strong response with sore arm, achy and a bit feverish for an evening. I normally don't have much response to vaccines and I've had the full gambit of jabs in my life. The only vaccination worse than the second Shingrix for me was the second Moderna covid dose.

This year's flu shot was no reaction at all for me, same as every other year. I'm resigned to getting the Moderna booster as soon as/if it is released for general population, but I'm not looking forward to it.
Thanks all for the experiences you've related from the Shingrix shot. I had my 1st shot this AM and am feeling fine so far. I will report back with further symptoms if any over the next couple of days.
Luvtoride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 01:28 PM   #939

Quote:
Originally Posted by bada bing View Post

Hmmm, I don’t understand … the booster could save your life, but you’re not looking forward to it?
stephenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 01:42 PM   #940
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenson View Post
Hmmm, I don’t understand … the booster could save your life, but you’re not looking forward to it?
SWAG: bada bing is not looking forward to any 'reaction' caused by the booster - but YMMV.

I'm just gonna assume that when my time comes for the booster it will be as uneventful as the first two. I guess we'll see whenever the approval comes. In any case, I'll take it!