Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-04-2018, 05:43 PM   #161
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

razztazz you don't know what the heck you are talking about regarding shingles. I was a very healthy 50 year old. One day out of the blue I had some back pain. Next day I started breaking out in the shingles rash. Went immediately to the doctor and got the antiviral. I don't think the antiviral helped at all. I had a terrible case of shingles. Had a terrible rash, terrible pain, ran a fever for weeks, could not drive for 6 weeks, could not bear to wear clothes, out of work along time, could not play golf for a year, worse health thing that ever happened to me. Now over 15 years later I still have pain in the area where the rash was. I would have paid anything to get the vaccine. I had the old vaccine as soon as I could and have had the new vaccine even though I had to pay for it. Razztazz, GET THE VACCINE!!!!
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2018, 06:03 PM   #162
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
razztazz you don't know what the heck you are talking about regarding shingles.
In fact I do. You are not the only one who reads and researches and acquires knowledge of thing. If I'm talking about (fill in the blank) I tend to look it up, first.

And I know people who have had it. As far as your worst case experience... I have covered that and referenced it half a dozen times already. We know already.

Quote:
Razztazz, GET THE VACCINE!!!!
I said I planned to. Old news

It's always educational observing the way threads go
razztazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 06:39 PM   #163
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz View Post
In fact I do. You are not the only one who reads and researches and acquires knowledge of thing. If I'm talking about (fill in the blank) I tend to look it up, first.

And I know people who have had it. As far as your worst case experience... I have covered that and referenced it half a dozen times already. We know already.

I said I planned to. Old news

It's always educational observing the way threads go
Educational in what way? So you can keep telling people how wrong headed they are according to you that is. This is a valuable thread about how to pay for the vaccine and people's side effects. What's your purpose in baiting posters?
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 06:40 PM   #164
Give me a forum ...

Some statistics--30% of all people who have had chicken pox get shingles (the percentage goes up to 50% if you live to age 85). Of those who get shingles 20% get the lingering nerve damage that I had that can last for years or for a lifetime. The new vaccine is suppose to be 90% effective. So why would you not get the vaccine? razztazz, why have you not had the vaccine already?
Old 06-04-2018, 06:44 PM   #165

If we can all respect each others' opinions and discuss the issue calmly, this thread could continue. If not, ....
Old 06-04-2018, 07:27 PM   #166
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
If we can all respect each others' opinions and discuss the issue calmly, this thread could continue. If not, ....
Sorry braumeister, I will quit posting on this topic. I had such a bad experience with Shingles I think I have post traumatic disorder on the topic of Shingles.
Old 06-04-2018, 11:17 PM   #167
Full time employment: Posting here.

My experience with the Shingrix shot. 50 Y.O. Male

First shot: I had what I would call a welt (what I would imagine how a paint ball would feel if shot in the arm), where it was injected and a sore arm for about 3 or 4 days and by day 7 - I would have to press on the area to 'feel' it.

Second shot about 3 months later: Sore for about 3 days.

None of the malaise feeling, very minor sore arm. Like the flu shot but lasting two days longer.

I have recently heard that the Shingrix is in short supply and will be thru quarter 3 of this year. It is running about $159 cash price with no discounts at Costco and most Medicare Part D will cover with some type of copay, unless you are meeting a deductible.
If you've had Zostavax or shingles in the past it is still suggested that you get the new Shingrix vaccine as Zostavax's effectiveness (while the best at the time) can decrease to 50% by year 4 and its even less in older people i.e. 18% in 80+ year olds.
Old 06-05-2018, 04:08 AM   #168
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I think you are playing with fire if you think you can catch it in time to treat it. The symptoms aren't always that obvious, and I suspect that something that starts out mild (and maybe not so noticeable at first) could become much worse over time. Those ones I've heard of that spread to the eye - I don't think they started there.

It's not like I'm hearing of tons of side effects from the shot. That might be different.

And what about side effects from that early treatment?

-ERD50
My Dad just got it and it was first just a pain in his side, no rash at all. Was diagnosed as a muscle pull in an urgent care visit. Days later the rash broke out. He did get the drug but it was well after 48 hours, more like a week.
garyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 10:16 AM   #169
Confused about dryer sheets

I got the first Shingrix shot yesterday, and my arm was sore enough that I couldn't sleep on that side last night. This morning I woke up to a headache, muscle soreness everywhere, and feeling pretty crummy all the way round. I plan to take it easy today instead of working out or bike riding. And my arm still hurts a lot, especially if I try to raise it up.

I will get the second shot in 60 days (if it is available). I had it done at Kaiser, and there was no charge. I was on a wait-list for this vaccine for a few months.
I had the less effective vaccine a few years ago.
caprica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 04:45 PM   #170

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDaresWins View Post
I received jab #1 of the Shingrx vaccine after a routine PCP visit yesterday. It was listed on my UPMC (Univ. of Pittsburgh Medical Center) Healthtrak (electronic medical record) list of things I needed to do. The nurse came into the room after the doc left and explained that UPMC has not been clear about billing for this vaccine and even though I have a UPMC PPO plan through my former employer and they are a UPMC owned office, I might be charged up to $250/shot. She said they were not administering many of the vaccines because of this. I signed 2 waivers that said I would be responsible for the cost if UPMC declined to pay. I am not yet on Medicare.

About 6 hours after the shot the shoulder where I got it was very sore. A few hours later I felt flu-ish with a fever, headache and muscle aches. I am better today but feel weak. I had no reaction after the older Zostavax live vaccine 2 years ago. I will get jab #2 in October.
Received a statement from UPMC today. They covered my Shingrix vaccine at zero cost to me after all. I rather suspected they would since it was listed in my EMR as something I needed to get.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 05:06 PM   #171

I've already dropped outta this but since this one popped up, I just wanted to finish with this, for the record.

Quote:
=ivinsfan;2057145]Educational in what way?
I hear what people are really thinking and how they relate/respond to things.

Quote:
So you can keep telling people how wrong headed they are according to you that is. This is a valuable thread about how to pay for the vaccine and people's side effects. What's your purpose in baiting posters?
Nothing I said implied any of that nor would it cause anyone to infer that's what was on my mind. This is one of the things I learn about people. It was a discussion, to include questions, about shingles/Shingrix

The topic was shingles/Shingrix. Not moi ;-)
razztazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 03:59 PM   #172

Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz View Post
I've already dropped outta this but since this one popped up, I just wanted to finish with this, for the record.

I hear what people are really thinking and how they relate/respond to things.

Nothing I said implied any of that nor would it cause anyone to infer that's what was on my mind. This is one of the things I learn about people. It was a discussion, to include questions, about shingles/Shingrix

The topic was shingles/Shingrix. Not moi ;-)
"toi" was trolling a little, peut etre?
bmcgonig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 12:01 AM   #173
Give me a forum ...

^ Je pense que oui, moi-même.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 08:59 AM   #174

Field report on my experience with the second Shingrix vaccine, yesterday. Very little pain at the shot. About 10 hours later, I began having chills. All my strength was gone. Went to bed. Had a fever all night. Every hour or so, I had to get up and empty the bladder. Each time after going poddy, I fell back to sleep right away. This went on for 13 hours. I never sleep 13 hours. Woke up at 10:15 AM with a massive caffeine withdrawal headache. That was easily fixed. I am OK, now. Today will be a low activity day.

First Shingrix shot had flu symptons but nothing this bad.

I believe it is still worth it, but just letting you know. Maybe you are not a weakling, like me.
Z3Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 10:19 AM   #175
Recycles dryer sheets

I’m due for my second round. After the first shot, I had flu-like chills over night. Was hoping #2 wouldn’t be so bad, but if it’s worse... ugh. Wondering if I should get it as early as possible or as late as possible in the day? I struggle to get good sleep as it is.
ExitLeft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 10:48 AM   #176
Recycles dryer sheets

With the first shot, I had a sore arm for 2 days and that was it. With the second shot, there was no arm soreness at all, but I had chills for 3 hours during the night. DH had no side effects at all with either shot. He's got a nerve! I guess it's true that misery loves company.
ocdokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 02:34 PM   #177
Give me a forum ...

My DH got shingles but didn’t realize that he had it for about 4 days. Started very mild and progressed to his eye but no permanent damage. I am allergic to one of the ingredients.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 06:41 PM   #178
Recycles dryer sheets

I have been waiting for my CVS to get the vaccine for more than a month now. Anyone else seeing problems with shortages?
Potstickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 08:21 AM   #179

Got my first shot from the doctor's office this week, had arm soreness (a good bit) and some overall pain the first couple of days. Nothing that a couple of ibuprofen couldn't take care of.

My ACA plan (Ambetter) would not pay for the shot at any pharmacy, only by prescription from doctor.
GTFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 09:31 AM   #180
Give me a forum ...

I am 3 months past my series of two at Costco. As to side effects, the first had none, and the second might have caused a little soreness and redness in upper arm of shot site. It was basically no problem, such that I do not even remember it well.

My girlfriend had shingles when she was much younger, and her idea is get the damn shot, which I did and I am glad. She did also, and she had a little more reaction but she always reacts more strongly to immunizations, at least relative to me.

Ha