New Shingrx Shingles Vaccine

Got my second shot last week.

Many thanks to everyone here who advocated for getting this vaccine. I probably would not have been as vigilant - especially as this new vaccine was hard to come by for a long time - without seeing updates on this thread.

So glad you got the Shingrix vaccine and thanks for reporting

DW and I just received our second shot. Neither of us had much reaction except for a REALLY sore arm for about 48 hours. Never had any soreness from a vaccine before, but still no big deal.

DW and I just received our second shot. Neither of us had much reaction except for a REALLY sore arm for about 48 hours. Never had any soreness from a vaccine before, but still no big deal.

You are very fortunate. Several here (including DW and I) got really down after second shot BUT still well worth it.

I want this vaccine from a nurse who works around other nurses. I want as little muscle penetration and tissue damage as possible. I'm trying to avoid my local supermarket's pharmacy for this one.

Choose an angle and stick with it! This is from a YouTube video named I Got the COVID-19 Vaccine - What to Expect 12 + 36 Hours Later. I drew lines to show the changing angle of the needle.

Attachments

• vaccine-needle-angle.jpg
    vaccine-needle-angle.jpg
    550.6 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
DW & I had our first shots in October. Both of us had sore arm for 2 days but no other issues. We both had our second shots 2 days ago. DW had the exact same reaction - her arm is still a bit sore today - 2 days since the shot. My arm was much less sore with the 2nd shot. However, I did experience some minor chills during the night of the shot this time. Yesterday I was fine and today I have no symptoms at all.

I got my second shot last Wednesday. Slightly sore at injection site for about 48 hours, but I still played golf on Friday. Similar to the first shot last October.

We both got our first shots on Friday afternoon.

By the evening we both had headaches and achy bodies. DW had some slight chills Friday night. Saturday morning still the same and I was running a low grade fever. Spent the day Saturday resting and just kinda feeling blah with continued headaches and body aches.

But by Sunday morning we both felt pretty much back to normal with the exception of the sore arms.

Anyone remember they used to have some kind of a machine for vaccinations in school?

They would hold up this thing that was kind of shaped like a gun, with the needle end and the handle they held at like a 90-degree angle like a gun and they would just put it up against your upper arm and they would trigger it and a needle would do a quick jab and it would be done.

Maybe whatever vaccine they were injecting didn't require a high volume so these quick shots worked.

Anyone remember they used to have some kind of a machine for vaccinations in school?

They would hold up this thing that was kind of shaped like a gun, with the needle end and the handle they held at like a 90-degree angle like a gun and they would just put it up against your upper arm and they would trigger it and a needle would do a quick jab and it would be done.

Maybe whatever vaccine they were injecting didn't require a high volume so these quick shots worked.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jet_injector

Got my second shot, a little over 2 months after the first shot.

At the same time, I got the Tdap (tetanus/whopping cough) shot because the pharmacist said they could do one shot in each arm so it was Shingrix in left arm and Tdap in the right arm.

She said the Tdap may cause fever for up to two days.

About 3-4 hours after the shots, soreness at the injection site of the Shingrix started to increase. But it wasn't as bad as the first shot and the first shot did cause some feeling of cold like symptoms, a bit light headedness that cleared up after a night of sleep.

This time it was mainly soreness. There was a bit of soreness at the Tdap injection site but it was nothing like the Shingrix site.

Then I woke up a couple of times in the middle of the night, feeling like having a cold. Mainly body ache but no fever.

In the morning, I took a couple of Tylenol and got some food and felt much better. Body ache was barely noticeable.

Then I just took a short late afternoon nap. Felt a bit of chills but it's kind of a chilly day. Still no fever and the arm soreness is no worse or maybe getting better.

I don't recall a strong reaction to tetanus injections in the past so I would attribute these minor symptoms all to the Shingrix. But then again, I was 10 years or more younger the last time I had gotten the tetanus shot.

Got my second shot last Sunday - on my way to work. Sore arm for a few days.

Second Shot: Quicker/Worse

Between hour 30 and 40, post inoculation, my upper back / neck hurt pretty bad. I was able to sleep most of the night, but when I turned over, it was pretty painful. Now (almost 48 hours after), the back/neck pain is barely detectable. The injection site is about half of what it was. I think I'm on the other side of it now.

Last night (in that 34 to 42 hour range), I ran a fever and had higher respiration rate from baseline. This is the highest fever I've ever seen since I bought the health monitor (which I wear all the time). Up until now, the highest fever was +0.8, I think. Even though I "know" this came from the vaccination, I'm a tiny bit spooked that it could be "something else" that shall not be named. I know it's not, though. Doesn't mean the irrational part of my brain isn't activated, though, hehe!

I'm only reporting this "for fun"...not meant to convince anyone not to get the shot. One night's sleep was "off", just a little bit, and that is no reason to risk the full-blown outbreak.
attachment.php

Yesterday, I got the second shot. I went yesterday because DW was going for hers, and I figured we could suffer together:LOL:. Her online medical chart was saying she was due (and we both got the first one on 12/17). But her practice refused her the shot because it had not yet been "two months". But their software had it scheduled after 8 weeks :facepalm:

Anyway, the previous shot didn't manifest symptoms beyond the sore arm until 30 hours after the injection. This time, I started getting slammed with fever and aches at 12 hours post injection; I got the shot at 11am and by 11pm, I was uncomfortable enough to not be able to sleep. My monitor had me at the same elevated respiration, but a higher temperature (this time I was +2.9F, whereas before I was +1.7F), so 70% higher than the first shot. And this morning, after 24 hours, I was still running a fever of +1.8F. Now, after about 30 hours, I have just a slight (0.4F) fever, so over with more quickly. But I'm feeling washed-out due to lack of sleep.

On hindsight, it might have been better to get the shot at, say 5pm, to allow for a good night's rest, before the fever got going the following day.

Attachments

• knockedflat.jpg
    knockedflat.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 36
I'm not sure if this was mentioned in this thread, but there's a US government sponsored web site that has reports of adverse events associated with vaccinations called "VAERS" (adding an event) and also "CDC Wonder" (searching previously reported events). If interested, you can start out here: https://vaers.hhs.gov

I came up with a tender lymph node this morning (after 72 hours post injection) and did a search on the site and found lots of mentions of really bad (very large) lymph nodes associated with this vaccine. Most reports are about how bad it got, not time to resolution (although I saw a few reference to resolutions in three days). Mine is not noticeable unless I'm messing with it...doctor, it hurt when I do this... :)

Anybody with the patience can enter a report into that site, and it becomes available for searching after some time (like maybe a couple of weeks). So it is what it is...not perfect, but not a bad idea.

I received the original shingles vaccination years ago and last week I completed my second shingrex vaccine. The vaccine and administration were covered fully under my retiree employer sponsored group health plan, no deductible as as the vaccination falls under the CDC and plan wellness protocol.

IF you are paying OOP, check to see if Sams Club and Costco offer it. Even if you are not a club member, potentially you may be able to receive it at the club and at a reduced price.

If you go to a hospital affiliated ambulatory practice site (a.k.a. clinic) check in advance if they charge "Facility fees." It is not unusual for Hospital based clinics to charge more for sitting on the parchment paper or procedure room chair, than they do for the clinician visit. Facility fees boarder on thievery IMHO.

Was speaking yesterday with a friend who happens to be a medical doctor. We were speaking about the 2nd shot reaction of some folks to the Covid19 vaccination, but what she suggested should be true for any "series" type vaccination. She stated that a strong reaction to the second shot is a "good" thing (assuming it's not too severe.) The "reaction" means that the first shot DID supply excellent protection against (whatever.) I tend to trust her judgement as she has been a doc for a long time. Her work has taken her all around the country as well as to Africa and Asia. We may have spoken of this "reaction theory" before, but nice to hear a doc "confirm" the theory.

DW and I both had quite significant reactions to the 2nd Shingrx shot and symptoms lasted at least 2 weeks - becoming milder, day by day. YMMV

I got my first Shingles shot at 6:30am on 1-10-21, I didn't feel the needle nor did I feel the liquid go in, my arm was only slightly sore for the day.
I got my second shot on 2-23-21 at 6:30am, I the needle hurt going in, The liquid hurt going in and my arm was very sore for about 36 hours and and just a little sore after that. The same person gave me the shot both times, the first time I told her, she did great! "I didn't even feel it." I didn't say anything the second time :)
I made 7 attempts to get the Covid vaccine a couple of weeks after the Shingles vaccine and failed, so I just got the second shingles vaccine and will wait a while before trying for the Covid vaccine again.
Glad to have it done! It cost me $178 for the first one and $198 for the second. Inflation I guess.

I got my first Shingles shot at 6:30am on 1-10-21, I didn't feel the needle nor did I feel the liquid go in, my arm was only slightly sore for the day.
I got my second shot on 2-23-21 at 6:30am, I the needle hurt going in, The liquid hurt going in and my arm was very sore for about 36 hours and and just a little sore after that. The same person gave me the shot both times, the first time I told her, she did great! "I didn't even feel it." I didn't say anything the second time :)
I made 7 attempts to get the Covid vaccine a couple of weeks after the Shingles vaccine and failed, so I just got the second shingles vaccine and will wait a while before trying for the Covid vaccine again.
Glad to have it done! It cost me $178 for the first one and $198 for the second. Inflation I guess.

In our case, the difference in shot 1 and shot 2 price was the level of insurance coverage. It was between two years that we got shot one and two. IIRC the first shot was on the order of $50 and the second was about $180 - both WITH our insurance.

In any case, worth it at 5 times the price NOT to get shingles though YMMV.

I want this vaccine from a nurse who works around other nurses. I want as little muscle penetration and tissue damage as possible. I'm trying to avoid my local supermarket's pharmacy for this one.

I just read this from 2018 when Shingrix was new:

"The Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS), part of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)...looked at 155 reports about Shingrix, 13 of which involved at least 1 error...Nine of the errors took place in a pharmacy, 2 occurred in a health care provider’s office, and 2 occurred in sites that were unknown."

Once again, I think I'll be walking the mile to urgent care for my vaccines even though the supermarket pharmacy is much closer.

Last edited:
I just read this from 2018 when Shingrix was new:

"The Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS), part of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)...looked at 155 reports about Shingrix, 13 of which involved at least 1 error...Nine of the errors took place in a pharmacy, 2 occurred in a health care provider’s office, and 2 occurred in sites that were unknown."

Once again, I think I'll be walking the mile to urgent care for my vaccines even though the supermarket pharmacy is much closer.

Let us hope providers have now forgotten how to administer Zostavax and know how to administer Shingrix. It was interesting to note that there was no belief that the improper administration of the vaccine would lead to less effectiveness - only to higher incidences of adverse effects (fairly common apparently even IF administered correctly.) YMMV

Was speaking yesterday with a friend who happens to be a medical doctor. We were speaking about the 2nd shot reaction of some folks to the Covid19 vaccination, but what she suggested should be true for any "series" type vaccination. She stated that a strong reaction to the second shot is a "good" thing (assuming it's not too severe.) The "reaction" means that the first shot DID supply excellent protection against (whatever.) YMMV

So I guess I'm screwed? I didn't have a reaction to either Shingrix shots, in fact I've never had a reaction to any vaccine. Personally, I don't think how you react means squat. I hope I'm right.

I'm ALMOST ready to get the Shingrix shots. I got the old one 6 years ago. First there was the issue with so many people not being able to get the second one, so I waited. Then there was COVID and I didn't want to get side effects that might make me panic and think it was COVID. And now... just got the first COVID shot, another a month from now and a mammogram a month after that, which I was supposed to get yesterday except that I learned that the COVID vaccine (and others?) can cause lymph node swelling that may look like Something Bad on a mammogram. (I confirmed this with the doc's office- we moved the appointment.) I'm also wary of getting Shingrix while the COVID shots are working their way through my system.

After the mammogram, I guess.

I'm ALMOST ready to get the Shingrix shots. I got the old one 6 years ago. First there was the issue with so many people not being able to get the second one, so I waited. Then there was COVID and I didn't want to get side effects that might make me panic and think it was COVID. And now... just got the first COVID shot, another a month from now and a mammogram a month after that, which I was supposed to get yesterday except that I learned that the COVID vaccine (and others?) can cause lymph node swelling that may look like Something Bad on a mammogram. (I confirmed this with the doc's office- we moved the appointment.) I'm also wary of getting Shingrix while the COVID shots are working their way through my system.

After the mammogram, I guess.

Athena, don't delay the Shingrix vaccine! Personally I would put the Shingrix vaccine before the mammogram. Having Shingles is awful.

Folks looking to get the Shingrx vaccine but who will be paying out of pocket may want to check GoodRX.com and see what the GoodRX pricing is in their area. For the area I'm in, Costco is not the least expensive.

omni

Athena, don't delay the Shingrix vaccine! Personally I would put the Shingrix vaccine before the mammogram. Having Shingles is awful.

You gotta weigh the risks. I'm at high risk of BC due to family history. I suppose I could get the first Shingrix dose right now (next COVID is 3/27, mammogram is 4/27) and the second after the mammogram since you can wait 2-6 months, but I'm not sure about throwing two powerful vaccines into my system so close together.

I'll do some research.

You gotta weigh the risks. I'm at high risk of BC due to family history. I suppose I could get the first Shingrix dose right now (next COVID is 3/27, mammogram is 4/27) and the second after the mammogram since you can wait 2-6 months, but I'm not sure about throwing two powerful vaccines into my system so close together.

I'll do some research.

The CDC recommends at least 14 days between COVID and any other vaccination.

Coadministration with other vaccines
Given the lack of data on the safety and efficacy of mRNA COVID-19 vaccines administered simultaneously with other vaccines, the vaccine series should routinely be administered alone, with a minimum interval of 14 days before or after administration with any other vaccine. However, mRNA COVID-19 and other vaccines may be administered within a shorter period in situations where the benefits of vaccination are deemed to outweigh the potential unknown risks of vaccine coadministration (e.g., tetanus toxoid-containing vaccination as part of wound management, rabies vaccination for post-exposure prophylaxis, measles or hepatitis A vaccination during an outbreak) or to avoid barriers or delays to mRNA COVID-19 vaccination (e.g., in long-term care facility residents or healthcare personnel who received influenza or other vaccinations prior to/upon admission or onboarding). If mRNA COVID-19 vaccines are administered within 14 days of another vaccine, doses do not need to be repeated for either vaccine.

Source:https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/info-by-product/clinical-considerations.html

Back
Top Bottom