Join Early Retirement Today

New York ACA Rebates
Old 04-28-2014, 09:20 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

New York ACA Rebates

So I get what I think is my June premium notice from Empire BCBS and instead they have mailed a check to me for 3 weeks of January premium as compensation for their problems in processing all the ACA enrollees. In the cover letter they mentioned a voluntary agreement with Governor Cuomo's office to provide these rebates. They are being given to those who had no claims in January.

I'd have prefererd if they just credited the rebate to my next (June) premium. Wouldn't that have been more efficient than mailing out all these checks?

Any of you in New York get one of these rebates, whether it is from Empire BCBS or another insurance company in the NY Exchange (Marketplace)?
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2014, 09:40 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Didn't see it in my mail box today, Scrabbler, but if it shows up I will definitely post here. It's an election year in NY State and it was a rough ACA rollout for many of us, so not surprising that the governor is trying to make sure none of the bad stuff sticks to him, maybe get some credit where perhaps blame is due.
truenorth418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 06:11 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

A credit to next year's premium wouldn't fit since it would hinge on you electing to stay put in the next open season.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:45 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
A credit to next year's premium wouldn't fit since it would hinge on you electing to stay put in the next open season.
Not next year's premium, but next month's (June) premium.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

Old 04-29-2014, 06:58 AM   #5
Administrator

Looks like this was announced in February and applies only to newly enrolled users of Empire BCBS. https://www.governor.ny.gov/press/02...ss-blue-shield
Quote:

In recognition of these and other challenges faced by their policyholders, Empire has agreed to provide three weeks of free coverage to consumers who enrolled through NYSOH and paid for coverage for the month of January, but did not receive care during that period. Those consumers will receive cash payments equivalent to three weeks of premiums paid. An estimated total of 15,000-20,000 Empire consumers are expected to receive this relief. Under the agreement, Empire has also committed $2 million to consumer education to encourage enrollment of the uninsured and others in health care coverage through NYSOH.
Cash back is the only option.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:52 PM   #6

I received a rebate check in the mail today. I agree it would surely have been more efficient and less costly to just credit everyone's June premium instead of printing checks.
Old 04-30-2014, 04:20 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by truenorth418 View Post
I received a rebate check in the mail today. I agree it would surely have been more efficient and less costly to just credit everyone's June premium instead of printing checks.
Except that then many of you would not have noticed, or would have just thought the insurance company messed up your premium payments. Besides, not all of you will actually cash the checks, which probably more than pays the cost of mailing them!
bamsphd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 04:51 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamsphd View Post
Except that then many of you would not have noticed, or would have just thought the insurance company messed up your premium payments. Besides, not all of you will actually cash the checks, which probably more than pays the cost of mailing them!
BCBS would have undoubtedly included the same cover letter they included with the check explaining why they were returning some money to its policyholders. The cover letter would have explained how BCBS was simply offsetting the next month's premium with the rebate.

I recall getting a credit like this once or twice on my auto insurance policy when they were giving a rebate on previously paid premiums, so for me there is precedent.

Old 04-30-2014, 06:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamsphd View Post
Besides, not all of you will actually cash the checks, which probably more than pays the cost of mailing them!
Oh I cashed mine alright!