New York ACA Rebates

scrabbler1

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
So I get what I think is my June premium notice from Empire BCBS and instead they have mailed a check to me for 3 weeks of January premium as compensation for their problems in processing all the ACA enrollees. In the cover letter they mentioned a voluntary agreement with Governor Cuomo's office to provide these rebates. They are being given to those who had no claims in January.

I'd have prefererd if they just credited the rebate to my next (June) premium. Wouldn't that have been more efficient than mailing out all these checks?

Any of you in New York get one of these rebates, whether it is from Empire BCBS or another insurance company in the NY Exchange (Marketplace)?

Didn't see it in my mail box today, Scrabbler, but if it shows up I will definitely post here. It's an election year in NY State and it was a rough ACA rollout for many of us, so not surprising that the governor is trying to make sure none of the bad stuff sticks to him, maybe get some credit where perhaps blame is due.

A credit to next year's premium wouldn't fit since it would hinge on you electing to stay put in the next open season.

A credit to next year's premium wouldn't fit since it would hinge on you electing to stay put in the next open season.

Not next year's premium, but next month's (June) premium.

Looks like this was announced in February and applies only to newly enrolled users of Empire BCBS. https://www.governor.ny.gov/press/02092014-empire-blue-cross-blue-shield
In recognition of these and other challenges faced by their policyholders, Empire has agreed to provide three weeks of free coverage to consumers who enrolled through NYSOH and paid for coverage for the month of January, but did not receive care during that period. Those consumers will receive cash payments equivalent to three weeks of premiums paid. An estimated total of 15,000-20,000 Empire consumers are expected to receive this relief. Under the agreement, Empire has also committed $2 million to consumer education to encourage enrollment of the uninsured and others in health care coverage through NYSOH.

Cash back is the only option.

I received a rebate check in the mail today. I agree it would surely have been more efficient and less costly to just credit everyone's June premium instead of printing checks.

I received a rebate check in the mail today. I agree it would surely have been more efficient and less costly to just credit everyone's June premium instead of printing checks.
Except that then many of you would not have noticed, or would have just thought the insurance company messed up your premium payments. Besides, not all of you will actually cash the checks, which probably more than pays the cost of mailing them!

Except that then many of you would not have noticed, or would have just thought the insurance company messed up your premium payments. Besides, not all of you will actually cash the checks, which probably more than pays the cost of mailing them!

BCBS would have undoubtedly included the same cover letter they included with the check explaining why they were returning some money to its policyholders. The cover letter would have explained how BCBS was simply offsetting the next month's premium with the rebate.

I recall getting a credit like this once or twice on my auto insurance policy when they were giving a rebate on previously paid premiums, so for me there is precedent.

Back
Top Bottom