Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-31-2016, 03:02 PM   #21
gone traveling

My A1Cs range from 5.6 to 5.8. When I was first declared diabetic eight years ago, it hit 6.5. I don't bother to test anymore, although I do run high in the morning (dawn phenomena). I do eat pizza and pasta occasionally, but don't want to go back to that old habit. I also have found that consuming 64 oz of water/day and getting sleep helps.

Exercise wise, I don't run for distance, but do like sprinting and pushing a weight sled. I weight lift 3X a week and play softball 2x week
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2016, 03:10 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

same here , high in the mornings .

for breakfast i usually have matzoh with peanut butter and 2 hard boiled eggs .

i find it spikes me less then bread .

or i will have 3 frozen waffles -sugar free syrup and 3 turkey sausage patty's .

i alternate every other day .

i go to the gym and come home and have plain yogurt with blueberries or straw berries .

lunch is usually a deli sandwich and a fruit .

if we are home at 2pm after i practice my drumming i have a bowl of suger free icre cream . if we are out with our photography i have a glycerna shake .

dinner is normal , i just take it easy with rice or just eat a half of a potato and salad . we eat a lot of variation at dinner unlike breakfast which is pretty well written in stone .

then i usually have some fruit or nuts after dinner or perhaps a sugar free pudding and repeat the next day
mathjak107 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 04:27 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Thanks DFW. Still, I would consider this to be essentially no evidence. Typical social media. Gives people things to talk about, which seems to fulfill an important need.

Ha

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 07-31-2016, 04:54 PM   #24
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Thanks DFW. Still, I would consider this to be essentially no evidence. Typical social media. Gives people things to talk about, which seems to fulfill an important need.

Ha

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Normally, I would agree, except it was endorsed by Will Brink. As far as I am concerned, Will is a reputable authority, although most on here probably have never ever heard of or know anything about him. If you demand evidence and studies to support the graph, I can't help you with that.
Old 07-31-2016, 06:41 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Thanks for the chart! My diet used to be terrible. Lots of fats and carbs. I gradually lost weight for the first 2 years of retirement while still eating badly. Then I started running and lost some more. I started a low carb (mostly paleo) diet mid May. I lost 10 lbs in the first week of carb cutting - more than I had lost in the previous 4 months of running / lots of carbs. And I feel a lot better eating less carbs. l'm probably bottomed out now as far as weight is concerned, but I'm continuing the low carb diet.
Glad to hear that cutting back on carbs worked for you, Ronstar (as it did for me). Grain-based carbs are the worst for putting on weight, in my experience..........I still eat veggies of all kinds (including relatively carb-rich veggies like carrots and sweet potatoes), and they don't cause any problems at all, for me anyway.

With regard to fats, though, the paleo eating plan is relatively high fat (60-70% of your daily calories should come from fats), but they need to be healthy fats (coconut oil, pastured butter, olive oil, tallow) and not unhealthy fats (trans fats, highly-processed jug oil (veg. oil, sunflower oil,corn oil, etc). I eat lots of the above mentioned healthy fats daily, and have not put any weight back on in the 6 years I have been eating this way. The whole idea behind the Paleo approach is to retrain your body to burn fats for fuel, rather than carbs.
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 08:35 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I would agree with part of the chart. Greater satiety = lower calorie intake, yes. Not so sure about the higher metabolism.
dixonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 09:07 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Here's is one doctor's take on recent developments in the controversy over carbs, fat and health:

High Carbohydrate Intake Worse than High Fat for Blood Lipids

Quote:
In an interview on Medscape, Dr. Mahshid Dehghan, the principal author of the abstract said (3):
To summarize our findings, the most adverse effect on blood lipids is from carbohydrates; the most benefit is from consumption of monounsaturated fatty acids; and the effect of saturated and polyunsaturated fatty acids are mixed. I believe this is a big message that we can give because we are confusing people with a low-fat diet and all the complications of total fat consumption, and WHO and AHA all suggest 55% to 60% of energy from carbohydrates.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 09:20 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Any comments and opinions in using Splenda as a sugar substitute on a low carb style diet?
Old 08-01-2016, 10:01 AM   #29
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Here's is one doctor's take on recent developments in the controversy over carbs, fat and health:

A lot of people suffer from fatty liver, but many are unaware. You would think that consuming fatty foods would cause the condition, but as I understand it, the leading cause is carbohydrate consumption.
Old 08-01-2016, 10:04 AM   #30
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
Any comments and opinions in using Splenda as a sugar substitute on a low carb style diet?
I don't use artificial sweeteners so don't really know what impact they have. Not sure if they are equally as bad as drinking these so called diet sodas, but I wouldn't be surprised.
Old 08-01-2016, 10:08 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
I don't add sugar or substitutes so for what it is worth. I do read many low carb folks do use Splenda or other substitutes.

Start tracking how much added sugars are put in foods and you wonder how can we eat this much added sugar? I mostly quit it(other than Ben and Jerry’s:sly.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 10:36 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post

the funny thing is when I first did the mcdougall plan which is high carb low fat it was not for weight loss . my triglycerides were at 900 and cholesterol was 450 . I genetically started running high levels .

so I went on that diet and the numbers improved drastically . the lipid profile was so good I was taken off meds
mathjak107 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 10:39 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
I don't add sugar or substitutes so for what it is worth. I do read many low carb folks do use Splenda or other substitutes.
Remember, very often many folks do all kinds of negative things.

Ha
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 11:40 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
the funny thing is when I first did the mcdougall plan which is high carb low fat it was not for weight loss . my triglycerides were at 900 and cholesterol was 450 . I genetically started running high levels .

so I went on that diet and the numbers improved drastically . the lipid profile was so good I was taken off meds
We are all different when it comes to food and how are bodies handle it.
I'm glad that McDougal works for you and others. I can't argue with success.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 12:20 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Remember, very often many folks do all kinds of negative things.

Ha
Or positive things that others regard as foolish, but later turn out to be wise.

Quote:
It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
- Mark Twain
Old 08-01-2016, 12:37 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Or positive things that others regard as foolish, but later turn out to be wise.

- Mark Twain
Very good points. However, I will fade anything that becomes popular among the US mass population without much risk of being long-term wrong.

The more popular, convoluted, expensive and media dense a practice is, the more likely it is to be wrong-headed.

People are rarely interested in evidence, and when they are, they seldom can interpret it correctly.

I don't often post people's opinions about diet, but here is an opinion well supported by careful evidence, collected by experimenters who were over-all hostile to the way the data turned out, and reported by a guy who managed to become chief surgery resident at Hopkins, a notoriously demanding program.

Good science, bad interpretation - The Eating Academy | Peter Attia, M.D. The Eating Academy | Peter Attia, M.D.

Ha
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 01:06 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

I guess my wife and I have been fortunate. We have never been overweight in our life. My highest BMI was 25, and perhaps 22 for my wife. So, we have never been on any special diet.

When I try to shed some pounds, I just eat less of everything. Well, I did cut down more on carb than on protein, and it's because I am a meat eater. I am at 23 BMI right now.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 04:26 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Very good points. However, I will fade anything that becomes popular among the US mass population without much risk of being long-term wrong.

The more popular, convoluted, expensive and media dense a practice is, the more likely it is to be wrong-headed.

People are rarely interested in evidence, and when they are, they seldom can interpret it correctly.

I don't often post people's opinions about diet, but here is an opinion well supported by careful evidence, collected by experimenters who were over-all hostile to the way the data turned out, and reported by a guy who managed to become chief surgery resident at Hopkins, a notoriously demanding program.

Good science, bad interpretation - The Eating Academy | Peter Attia, M.D. The Eating Academy | Peter Attia, M.D.

Ha
I'll take that bet too. Thanks for the excellent article. I haven't been on The Eating Academy in a while, I had forgotten what a good source it is.