Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 08:17 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy View Post
Finally it's not clear what is happening with cost sharing plans and max out of pocket limits. Right now these can be very advantageous IF you stay under 200% of FPL.
Silver CSRs are gone:

Subtitle D—Patient Relief and Health Insurance Market Stability
SEC. 131. REPEAL OF COST-SHARING SUBSIDY.
(a) IN GENERAL .—Section 1402 of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act is repealed.
(b) EFFECTIVE DATE .—The repeal made by sub section (a) shall apply to cost-sharing reductions (and payments to issuers for such reductions) for plan years beginning after December 31, 2019.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2017, 08:17 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
We would lose about $10K in subsidies. And with a pricing band change of 5 to 1 instead of 3 to 1, our premiums would increase over $13K a year.
This is the real problem - premiums will skyrocket and obliterate the $7-8k in credits that folks here will get. And it can be way more than 5:1 given that states can decide whatever they want (e.g. eliminate ratios altogether).

Assuming there's even a market left when the 30% surcharge for new insurance means that anyone healthy will simply not carry insurance until they need it. This is a recipe for a death spiral.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:26 AM   #43

@DayLateDollarShort -- thanks for the NYTime link.

It says cost sharing reductions are gone under the new plan. If that's the case, that seems like a huge reduction in benefits for low-medium income families. Currently a family can be on the hook for $13k maximum OOP per year but could much lower based on your income. I don't see a family making 40k able to afford that. Even now I think people feel that the ACA max OOP is too high.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:27 AM   #44

Yep, removing CSRs is a huge blow to lower-income folks under the ACA today. Going to be a lot of pain debating that one given that deductibles are one of the biggest issues for many even with CSRs.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:38 AM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
@DayLateDollarShort -- thanks for the NYTime link.

It says cost sharing reductions are gone under the new plan. If that's the case, that seems like a huge reduction in benefits for low-medium income families. Currently a family can be on the hook for $13k maximum OOP per year but could much lower based on your income. I don't see a family making 40k able to afford that. Even now I think people feel that the ACA max OOP is too high.
With out of network, which can sometimes be hard to avoid even at in network hospitals, our annual family out of pocket max with our current Bronze plan is over $30K.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 03-07-2017, 08:42 AM   #46

Our BCBS HMO plan has unlimited OOP liability for out of network. I think the only other option we had this year, Kaiser, was the same.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:47 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
.... Currently a family can be on the hook for $13k maximum OOP per year but could much lower based on your income. I don't see a family making 40k able to afford that. Even now I think people feel that the ACA max OOP is too high.
Yes, I had been hoping for high deductible plans, as that normally makes sense for someone who can afford the smaller hits. But $13K OOP, plus the premiums, is quite a hit even for someone of means, especially if it was for an ongoing, maybe lifelong condition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTFan View Post
Assuming there's even a market left when the 30% surcharge for new insurance means that anyone healthy will simply not carry insurance until they need it. This is a recipe for a death spiral.
I dunno. Maybe that will be a death spiral, but is it really better/worse than the current plan? I don't think we know enough to say that. As I understand it, many healthy people aren't buying insurance now, and the penalties are low enough that they aren't having that much motivational effect.

Can we really say the 30% 'penalty' will provide less offset than the current 'penalties'? Where's your math for that?

-ERD50
Old 03-07-2017, 08:53 AM   #48

The only reason the insurance companies accepted the ACA's provision that prevented them from excluding folks based on pre-existing conditions was the individual mandate. Even then they wanted the penalty to be higher. Still, under ACA, they wouldn't have been required to take someone with a pre-existing condition outside of the narrow enrollment periods. In the new plan, the individual mandate is gone but exclusion based on pre-existing conditions is still banned and there appears to be no enrollment period limitation. I don't see how the insurance companies can accept that. I think they will cut their losses and run sooner rather than later. My sympathies to those who are trying to figure out if they can ER with such huge uncertainties in healthcare!
Old 03-07-2017, 08:54 AM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm not seeing anything in either bill that refers to purchasing policies across state lines. Am I missing it or is that something that would need to be handled in completely separate bills?
Old 03-07-2017, 08:58 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian S View Post
The only reason the insurance companies accepted the ACA's provision that prevented them from excluding folks based on pre-existing conditions was the individual mandate. Even then they wanted the penalty to be higher. Still, under ACA, they wouldn't have been required to take someone with a pre-existing condition outside of the narrow enrollment periods. In the new plan, the individual mandate is gone but exclusion based on pre-existing conditions is still banned and there appears to be no enrollment period limitation. I don't see how the insurance companies can accept that. I think they will cut their losses and run sooner rather than later. My sympathies to those who are trying to figure out if they can ER with such huge uncertainties in healthcare!
+100
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
Old 03-07-2017, 08:59 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I dunno. Maybe that will be a death spiral, but is it really better/worse than the current plan? I don't think we know enough to say that. As I understand it, many healthy people aren't buying insurance now, and the penalties are low enough that they aren't having that much motivational effect.-ERD50
Well, the penalties have been rising and are becoming quite significant. Furthermore, even if you pay the penalty, you are still not covered in any way so the insurance companies are not on the hook if you get sick. With the new plan, folks (younger and/or healthier) have a much greater incentive to opt out as they can get insurance coverage whenever they need to. The insurance companies will then be on the hook for their medical expenses. The 30% premium surcharge will be a great bargain for those folks.
Old 03-07-2017, 09:02 AM   #52

Lots of conjecture here. Like the news.
Old 03-07-2017, 09:05 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodguy00 View Post
I'm not seeing anything in either bill that refers to purchasing policies across state lines. Am I missing it or is that something that would need to be handled in completely separate bills?
I think, because the bills are being passed using the reconciliation process, that this is an issue that couldn't be included.
Old 03-07-2017, 09:05 AM   #54

Is it true that they've gotten rid of specific enrollment periods in the proposal? Didn't see that in the NYT summary.
Old 03-07-2017, 09:09 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
I think, because the bills are being passed using the reconciliation process, that this is an issue that couldn't be included.
Thanks that makes sense.
Coming from an area where insurance companies already cross state lines I don't think its a big deal. Obviously I hope I'm wrong.
Old 03-07-2017, 09:11 AM   #56
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTFan View Post
Is it true that they've gotten rid of specific enrollment periods in the proposal? Didn't see that in the NYT summary.
The House W&M bill does not mention enrollment.
Old 03-07-2017, 09:14 AM   #57

Quote:
The ACA has a provision for allowing insurance companies to sell insurance across state lines, in effect January 2016.

http://www.ncsl.org/research/health/...purchases.aspx
Old 03-07-2017, 09:18 AM   #58
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I haven't seen that yet, but I'm relying on the reports of healthcare economists who have read the plan which I have not. Buying across state lines is already included in the ACA, but so far the relevant parties haven't chosen to implement it anywhere. Here's a Forbes article from a few days ago about the weakness of the idea.

Since the idea is that buying across state lines would allow for savings due to economies of scale, there is also a little thought experiment that you can do. Since California has a pop of 38M and Canada has a pop of 34M, costs in California should be about the same as Canada!
Old 03-07-2017, 09:21 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
It is 5 to 1 or set by the state per the New York Times summary of proposed changes here:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...ment.html?_r=0

So our premiums would go from around $1,700 a month to $2,830 or $33,960 a year, less $8K in subsidies for the two of us, plus deductibles and co-pays. ...
I don't think you can necessarily jump to the conclusion that your new premium would be $1,700/3*5. The 5:1 is a maximum, not a requirement... and its a lot more complicated than that.

I wonder if they will retain the 80% MLR aspect of ACA.

As one other poster mentioned, I don't see where these new bills affect the cost of health services at all and the escalating cost of health services is IMO the primary cause of the significant premium increases that we have been seeing lately.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 03-07-2017, 09:21 AM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpediem View Post
Is the above saying I would be able to get some subsidy for COBRA coverage?

That is the way I read it - which could be a good thing - if income meets the limits then you could have 18 months of subsidized HI - that might make age 63.5 the new normal retirement age
Closed Thread