Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-12-2015, 10:33 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Go for it. I'm sure that both you and your dentist will be happy.
I'm already happy with the dentist, this far. Mine is not charging me as much as the others here who have gone for the "upscale" models.
razztazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2015, 11:23 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

DH wears one and then tries to talk to me before going to sleep and frankly, I can't understand him.

He goes to the dentist who has them made for him. His bruxism is so bad he has worn down the enamel on many of his teeth and he had several implants as well. His guards cost about $600 a piece and he goes through them about every 2 years. We have money left in the FSA this year which I am not sure we will use up since I avoid going to the doctor unless I have to (I am one), so I said, sure, go for a new one before the FSA ends on 7/1.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
iac1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 01:49 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

What do you suppose is causing all this bruxism? Is life truly so stressful for us all, or do we just not know how to handle life without gnashing our teeth all the time?

Amethyst
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 02:29 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
What do you suppose is causing all this bruxism? Is life truly so stressful for us all, or do we just not know how to handle life without gnashing our teeth all the time?

Amethyst
I'm pretty sure it is the mercury in the vaccines.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 03:41 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

I used to grind my teeth, but the problem went away after I divorced my first wife. That was 22 years ago and the problem never came back.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 03:47 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
I used to grind my teeth, but the problem went away after I divorced my first wife. That was 22 years ago and the problem she never came back.
FIFY
Old 04-13-2015, 08:52 PM   #47
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have a mouth guard from my dentist. I was clenching my jaw. Sometimes I would wake up in the middle of the night with my jaw stuck. I would have to physically and mentally relax to release my jaw. I was also wearing down my teeth. The mouth guard really helped. However, I have not worn the mouth guard for past 6 months and haven't had any issues....also retired 8 months ago. So may have been work related.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 04-13-2015, 11:34 PM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

I have a night guard too and I think it helps.

Retired but still use it.

It was helpful Friday evening. I broke a tooth. I put the night guard on and it held the tooth in place long enough to get to the dentist.
Old 04-14-2015, 02:37 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog View Post
I have a mouth guard from my dentist. I was clenching my jaw. Sometimes I would wake up in the middle of the night with my jaw stuck. I would have to physically and mentally relax to release my jaw. I was also wearing down my teeth. The mouth guard really helped. However, I have not worn the mouth guard for past 6 months and haven't had any issues....also retired 8 months ago. So may have been work related.
Sounds like you were an extreme case while working. I'm not sure how easy it is to monitor ourselves. One might have some dental symptoms that do not show up as symptoms one can feel. If it were me, I'd talk it over with the dentist just to get his take.

I could probably dump my mouth guard, but it's pretty easy to use it. Occasionally I don't wear it just to rebel.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 04:07 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
Sounds like you were an extreme case while working. I'm not sure how easy it is to monitor ourselves. One might have some dental symptoms that do not show up as symptoms one can feel. If it were me, I'd talk it over with the dentist just to get his take.

I could probably dump my mouth guard, but it's pretty easy to use it. Occasionally I don't wear it just to rebel.
Good point. I was never aware that I was grinding my teeth in my sleep until my dentist pointed out the wear. DW was unaware she was grinding until I told her I could hear a clicking noise as she slept and the dentist confirmed evidence of grinding.

So with a data set of two points, it seems like we may not realize we need a night guard when we do need one.
Old 04-17-2015, 08:28 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post

Amethyst
I suspect that it would be that we are all high-achiever types and when we have problems that we are wrestling with stress ensues.

-gauss
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 02:40 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

An update ...

I went to the dentist today and got an impression done for a crown for my upper rear left chipped tooth. The dentist went over three options. 1) acrylic, 2) porclean or 3) gold. Acrylic being the cheapest (about $200). Gold being the strongest. Porclean being the most natural looking. I chose gold as in the back, I went for durablity over cheap or vain . A gold or porclean is about $1000. Mr. HSA will pay for that

We talked breifly about a night guard, but I told him that if I really don't need one, I'd prefer not to get one as my teeth or jaws don't hurt at all. He said, we can just see in the future if there are wear patterns, then if so, address a night guard again then. I'm happy with that answer
Old 04-24-2015, 10:02 PM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

Night guard.

For around a decade, I had one… Then, for some reason, after I retired, I no longer needed it to prevent the nightly teeth grinding…

unno2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 08:18 AM   #54
Confused about dryer sheets

I would get a second opinion.

I always though that teeth grinding at night was a sign of stress.
spring-chicken2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 05:22 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by spring-chicken2015 View Post
I would get a second opinion.

I always though that teeth grinding at night was a sign of stress.
I wish it only came with stress. I grind because I can!
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 05:43 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
So with a data set of two points, it seems like we may not realize we need a night guard when we do need one.
I agree- after asking a lot of questions because he thought I had a high incidence of broken bridges and crowns, my dentist decided I must be grinding or clenching my teeth even though I didn't think I did and never work up with sore jaw muscles.

Shortly after that (and before the bite guard arrived), I had a root canal and was awakened that night by a sudden earing pain. I realized I'd just clenched my teeth together.

In my case, it's not that related to stress, although I have a sort of intense, driven personality anyway. My mother says she's never seen me so happy since I retired (actually she said that after DH and I married in 2003, too) but I still need a bite guard.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 08:07 AM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauss View Post
Following up from my post from yesterday, here is the link to the Internet site that manufacturers custom night guards for individuals and dentists: Night Guard for Teeth Grinding - Pro Teeth Guard

Their popular unit costs $159 shipped. I will probably order one soon. (edit: I actually ordered the $189 heavy duty unit today).

Only after trying this one and having it not work out would I consider the dentist recommended $600 one.

-gauss
I've worn a night guard for 15+ years, and bought one of the 'soft' ones from this website--based on the discussion here. My last one was getting worn out after about 5+ years. The process of fitting was similar to what I remembered from the dentist. (Recommend you watch the video on the website to see how it works.)

Wore it last night for the first time, and I'd say it's 99% as comfortable as my dentist-made guard, although I probably should have ordered the 'hybrid' version to match the stiffness of my original guard.

Conclusion--99% as good; 25% the price. A 'clear win' enabled by the internet and E-R.org.

Thanks!
plsprius is offline   Reply With Quote