Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-15-2021, 11:53 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE man View Post
Yes that's what i read too, We can keep her on the ACA and still get the subsidies since she doesn't qualify for premium-free Medicare Part A. I think we still need to sign her up for Part B since it is not premium free insurance. I still don't know if there will be a penalty for delaying the Part A signup thogh

Did you have a source for this, I though the marketplace rules were pretty clear that if have access to Medicare you can't get subsidies.

There are definitely a few posters here that had their insurance costs go UP after getting on Medicare...but it's not optional.

I don't know how big your subsidy is but rather then lose it you might just need to suck it up and pay for her part A..
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2021, 11:58 AM   #22
Dryer sheet aficionado

There’s no upper age limit for subsidy eligibility. But most people become eligible for premium-free Medicare Part A when they turn 65. In that case, they lose their eligibility for premium subsidies.

But if you’re not eligible for premium-free Medicare Part A because you don’t have enough work history in the U.S., you can continue to buy coverage in the exchange, and you’ll continue to receive premium subsidies if your income makes you eligible. (See question A6 in this guide from CMS.)
FIRE man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 12:00 PM   #23
Dryer sheet aficionado

https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Eligibi...8-28-14_v2.pdf
Old 09-15-2021, 12:03 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
There’s no upper age limit for subsidy eligibility. But most people become eligible for premium-free Medicare Part A when they turn 65. In that case, they lose their eligibility for premium subsidies.

But if you’re not eligible for premium-free Medicare Part A because you don’t have enough work history in the U.S., you can continue to buy coverage in the exchange, and you’ll continue to receive premium subsidies if your income makes you eligible. (See question A6 in this guide from CMS.)

Page 5 does say that penalties may be invoked when you do this...If I understand the process correctly those penalties are lifetime.

Confusing for sure.
Old 09-15-2021, 12:11 PM   #25
Dryer sheet aficionado

Penalties for Part A are not for lifetime, but I believe Part B are lifetime, that is why I would really want to understand this before making the decision to delay. Seems like there should be someone in the bureaucracy that would be fluent in these matters and advise us of what is best
Old 09-15-2021, 05:14 PM   #26
Administrator

Sorry for my earlier wrong answer, I was not aware there was a age minimum for the qualifying spouse. Learned something new today.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 05:23 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Sorry for my earlier wrong answer, I was not aware there was a age minimum for the qualifying spouse. Learned something new today.
It's one question with two answers..the spouse is eligible for Part A but not free Part A until main spouse turns turns 62 confusion abounds Your answer wasn't wrong but needed a footnote.
Old 09-15-2021, 05:33 PM   #28
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
It's one question with two answers..the spouse is eligible for Part A but not free Part A until main spouse turns turns 62 confusion abounds
I got that part, now. I wasn’t aware the non-working spouse has to wait until the working spouse reached age 62 for full, normal eligibility. My spouse also did not pay into SS and is older than me, but the age difference is not that great. We still had to go in person to a SS office to enroll her in Medicare and bring lots of documents.

If an in-person office visit is viable for the OP that’s what I would suggest. My limited experience with SS and Medicare, 3 office visits and the same number of phone calls, tells me the office workers are better informed.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 05:41 PM   #29
Dryer sheet aficionado

Thanks for that advice, I tried to get an appointment at the local office here in Springfield MO but they are not open for in-person visits. I;m pretty good about figuring things out for myself but in this case there just doesn't seem to be enough information online to know the best/right way to get it done. In the end I thing she stays on my ACA plan until I'm 62 then waits for the general enrolment period applies and gets Part A. For Part B I think we will pay for that when she is first available at 65 so we don't have penalties forever. Even if we end up with penalties for the Part A they will be a lot less than the 6k in Part A premiums we would need to pay....Thanks for all the responses!
Old 09-15-2021, 06:36 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thanks for that advice, I tried to get an appointment at the local office here in Springfield MO but they are not open for in-person visits. I;m pretty good about figuring things out for myself but in this case there just doesn't seem to be enough information online to know the best/right way to get it done. In the end I thing she stays on my ACA plan until I'm 62 then waits for the general enrolment period applies and gets Part A. For Part B I think we will pay for that when she is first available at 65 so we don't have penalties forever. Even if we end up with penalties for the Part A they will be a lot less than the 6k in Part A premiums we would need to pay....Thanks for all the responses!

Just to confuse you a little more, I'm reading some states have programs in place to help people caught in your DW position. They will pay the Part A premium based on household income limits...worth looking into.
Old 09-15-2021, 06:39 PM   #31
Dryer sheet aficionado

Yes I read that too, I'm sure my income is above that limit and I'm in a very red state so that isn't going to happen here
Old 09-15-2021, 06:43 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes I read that too, I'm sure my income is above that limit and I'm in a very red state so that isn't going to happen here

I'd contact the SHIP link in your state the services are free and they might clarify some of your questions.
Old 09-15-2021, 06:49 PM   #33
Dryer sheet aficionado

I'm not sure I know what that is? But if I could visit with them and they could tell me what the best options are for our situation we would appreciate any help
Old 09-15-2021, 07:04 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm not sure I know what that is? But if I could visit with them and they could tell me what the best options are for our situation we would appreciate any help

Google SHIP and your state, a link should come up with contact info..they sell nothing and services are free.
Old 09-15-2021, 07:07 PM   #35
Dryer sheet aficionado

Oh I see that now, thanks so much I will contact them......appreciate your time helping me with this
Old 09-15-2021, 07:14 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Old 09-15-2021, 07:21 PM   #37
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I got that part, now. I wasn’t aware the non-working spouse has to wait until the working spouse reached age 62 for full, normal eligibility. My spouse also did not pay into SS and is older than me, but the age difference is not that great. We still had to go in person to a SS office to enroll her in Medicare and bring lots of documents.

If an in-person office visit is viable for the OP that’s what I would suggest. My limited experience with SS and Medicare, 3 office visits and the same number of phone calls, tells me the office workers are better informed.
It is not to do with age but rather OP will only have 40 quarters of credits when he is 62 to qualify for free Part A.
RetiredHappy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 07:25 PM   #38
Dryer sheet aficionado

No it is age. I had 40 quarters long before I retired at 55. My wife doesn't qualify for premium free medicare until I turn 62 no matter how many credits I have
Old 09-15-2021, 07:27 PM   #39
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
No it is age. I had 40 quarters long before I retired at 55. My wife doesn't qualify for premium free medicare until I turn 62 no matter how many credits I have
I missed that. I thought you said you didn't have enough points and I thought you meant quarters. So what are points?
RetiredHappy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 07:33 PM   #40
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quarters, points and credits are the same thing just different ways to say it.