Non working spouse Medicare

Sorry for my earlier wrong answer, I was not aware there was a age minimum for the qualifying spouse. Learned something new today.

Sorry for my earlier wrong answer, I was not aware there was a age minimum for the qualifying spouse. Learned something new today.

It's one question with two answers..the spouse is eligible for Part A but not free Part A until main spouse turns turns 62 confusion abounds Your answer wasn't wrong but needed a footnote.:LOL:

Last edited:
It's one question with two answers..the spouse is eligible for Part A but not free Part A until main spouse turns turns 62 confusion abounds

I got that part, now. I wasn’t aware the non-working spouse has to wait until the working spouse reached age 62 for full, normal eligibility. My spouse also did not pay into SS and is older than me, but the age difference is not that great. We still had to go in person to a SS office to enroll her in Medicare and bring lots of documents.

If an in-person office visit is viable for the OP that’s what I would suggest. My limited experience with SS and Medicare, 3 office visits and the same number of phone calls, tells me the office workers are better informed.

Thanks for that advice, I tried to get an appointment at the local office here in Springfield MO but they are not open for in-person visits. I;m pretty good about figuring things out for myself but in this case there just doesn't seem to be enough information online to know the best/right way to get it done. In the end I thing she stays on my ACA plan until I'm 62 then waits for the general enrolment period applies and gets Part A. For Part B I think we will pay for that when she is first available at 65 so we don't have penalties forever. Even if we end up with penalties for the Part A they will be a lot less than the 6k in Part A premiums we would need to pay....Thanks for all the responses!

Thanks for that advice, I tried to get an appointment at the local office here in Springfield MO but they are not open for in-person visits. I;m pretty good about figuring things out for myself but in this case there just doesn't seem to be enough information online to know the best/right way to get it done. In the end I thing she stays on my ACA plan until I'm 62 then waits for the general enrolment period applies and gets Part A. For Part B I think we will pay for that when she is first available at 65 so we don't have penalties forever. Even if we end up with penalties for the Part A they will be a lot less than the 6k in Part A premiums we would need to pay....Thanks for all the responses!

Just to confuse you a little more, I'm reading some states have programs in place to help people caught in your DW position. They will pay the Part A premium based on household income limits...worth looking into.

Yes I read that too, I'm sure my income is above that limit and I'm in a very red state so that isn't going to happen here

Yes I read that too, I'm sure my income is above that limit and I'm in a very red state so that isn't going to happen here

I'd contact the SHIP link in your state the services are free and they might clarify some of your questions.

I'm not sure I know what that is? But if I could visit with them and they could tell me what the best options are for our situation we would appreciate any help

I'm not sure I know what that is? But if I could visit with them and they could tell me what the best options are for our situation we would appreciate any help

Google SHIP and your state, a link should come up with contact info..they sell nothing and services are free.

Oh I see that now, thanks so much I will contact them......appreciate your time helping me with this

I got that part, now. I wasn’t aware the non-working spouse has to wait until the working spouse reached age 62 for full, normal eligibility. My spouse also did not pay into SS and is older than me, but the age difference is not that great. We still had to go in person to a SS office to enroll her in Medicare and bring lots of documents.

If an in-person office visit is viable for the OP that’s what I would suggest. My limited experience with SS and Medicare, 3 office visits and the same number of phone calls, tells me the office workers are better informed.

It is not to do with age but rather OP will only have 40 quarters of credits when he is 62 to qualify for free Part A.

No it is age. I had 40 quarters long before I retired at 55. My wife doesn't qualify for premium free medicare until I turn 62 no matter how many credits I have

No it is age. I had 40 quarters long before I retired at 55. My wife doesn't qualify for premium free medicare until I turn 62 no matter how many credits I have

I missed that. I thought you said you didn't have enough points and I thought you meant quarters. So what are points?

Quarters, points and credits are the same thing just different ways to say it.

Quarters, points and credits are the same thing just different ways to say it.

OK. But you had said you didn't have enough points until you turned 62 and that was confusing to me. I did learn something today from this thread that there is an age limitation as well.

OK. But you had said you didn't have enough points until you turned 62 and that was confusing to me. I did learn something today from this thread that there is an age limitation as well.

I was confused because it's kind of a limitation on the free Part A but not an age limitation to be eligible for Part A..why do they have to make it so complicated!!!

I guess it would be optimal for future retirees for the non-working spouse work for 10 years at some micro business with modest profit to earn the credits necessary to qualify for the free part A at 65.

Yes or I should have married a young bird..lol. I worked for an aerospace company that had contracts with the US government and spent almost my whole career working abroad so the option for her to work didn't really exist. I have a call in with the SHIP people and I think they might have an expert there to speak with instead of the government people that were less than helpful. I will update if I learn something different.

Thanks to all the great people here for the advise that allowed me to pull the trigger at 55, greatest move we ever made, we can never get the last 5 years back and we are so glad I didn't spend them working.

Last edited:
I'm a bit younger but have been thinking about this issue so I appreciate seeing a thread on this. My wife, who is a few years older than me, immigrated to the US in her 30s and while we don't need her to work, it seems like 10 years/40 quarters of work will make life so much easier down the road. That's as little as 7 hours a week at $15/hour for 10 years.

Last edited:
OP--
wondering if Boomer Benefits might be able to help you? Try giving them a call.

Yes, as long as you qualify for Medicare coverage (even not old enough yet, your spouse is eligible for Medicare without having to pay Part A. This is because even if she does not have the credits to qualify for free Part A, you do,
BUT if she is covered by your healthcare plan at work, she may be eligible to delay signing up for parts B&D (and other supplemental plans) until no longer covered (and COBRA does not count). Or you could talk to your HR and you may get a benefit if she moves to Medicare instead of the company policy.
One thing to look out for is that Medicare has a co-pay - and there is not cap. So a major illness or injury can devastate your finances.

Yes, as long as you qualify for Medicare coverage (even not old enough yet, your spouse is eligible for Medicare without having to pay Part A. This is because even if she does not have the credits to qualify for free Part A, you do,
BUT if she is covered by your healthcare plan at work, she may be eligible to delay signing up for parts B&D (and other supplemental plans) until no longer covered (and COBRA does not count). Or you could talk to your HR and you may get a benefit if she moves to Medicare instead of the company policy.
One thing to look out for is that Medicare has a co-pay - and there is not cap. So a major illness or injury can devastate your finances.

The OP isn't working now, he stated that he is also retired at 55.

Back
Top Bottom