Nursing Shortage

Nursing and other health professions have retention problems because they are intrinsically 24 hour businesses. As a physician, I don't want to work nights either. I just finiished working right through Christmas with a bunch of hardworking nursing colleagues, most of whom would rather have been with their families. We're all just sticking it out till we can FIRE.

How true. I worked all day 12/24 and 12/25 -- sent the DW to visit her elderly Mom.

One nice aspect: the patients and families are sooooo appreciative of your caring for them on holidays or even the wee hours. They say nice things, give hugs, and it feels good.

Many would say, rightly, that we knew what we were getting into when our career choices were made, and that this is all factored in to the reimbursement, etc. But still, being away from friends and family on holidays, awakened from deep sleep at 3 am, and all the other after-hours duties will not be missed in FIRE after 33 years.

Many would say, rightly, that we knew what we were getting into when our career choices were made, and that this is all factored in to the reimbursement, etc. But still, being away from friends and family on holidays, awakened from deep sleep at 3 am, and all the other after-hours duties will not be missed in FIRE after 33 years.
I suppose it's possible that people overestimate their ability to put up with those crappy hours. They know they have to deal with them, but didn't think it would be as hard to cope with as it often turns out to be.

I've never been in the health professions but I've done just enough 24x365 support of mission-critical enterprise computer/database systems and networks for Fortune 100 customers that I can definitely relate. I couldn't wait to jump at a transfer opportunity that let me work "normal" hours again.

A belated Merry Christmas to all. DH and I just returned home from partying the last three days in the Wash DC area. Now we have to rest up for the New Years Cruise we are taking in a few days. We could not have done any of this during our working years. Makes FIRE worth it. Sure health care workers work crappy hours but then so do police,fire, EMT's and of course lets not for get our men and women in the armed forces to name just a few. I bring this up as a way of saying do not let anyone guilt you into working more that you want to. It is not selfish to bail early when you have paid your dues. Part of that dues paying is enduring crappy working conditions.

DW is an RN - what a great safety net! Plus not sure she is as interested as I am in ER'ing sooner than later. Could be my ticket to health insurance between ER and Medicare!

Nursing and other health professions have retention problems because they are intrinsically 24 hour businesses. As a physician, I don't want to work nights either. I just finiished working right through Christmas with a bunch of hardworking nursing colleagues, most of whom would rather have been with their families. We're all just sticking it out till we can FIRE.

My wife just worked Christmas eve and Day so we could visit relatives next Christmas. They do have pretty good potlucks on Christmas! I guess a DR brought in some smoked turkeys for the shifts. :)

Another FIRE RN chiming in.
Until you have done the job, you can't really imagine what it is like. Nurses have to deal with all types of body functions, crazy physicians, upset families, insurance companies who want their people out of the hospital asap and administrators who look at the bottom line. I showed up one evening and was floated twice to other units. I was mandated to stay many times for 16 hour shifts. I come from a family of nurses and I think we have seen just about everything. If the job was that glamorous then there would be no nursing shortage. Most people have no desire to be up to their elbows in mucous, vomit or feces. You can catch stuff. You can be the target of violence especially if you work in Mental health or in an emergency room. I was left in so many crazy situations through the years by the time I was done there was no looking back.
As far as teaching goes, you need at least a Masters Degree around here. Most Nurses I know are female and working while raising a family pretty much does most of us in- getting an advanced degree is a little more than myself or my friends could do. I had a very supportive and helpful husband but I had no extra time to get that advanced degree. Again, no regrets as my children turned out great as I spent all my extra time with them.

I worked around my family and I was able to exit the workforce way before the normal retirement age,but it was not a picnic. I could have gotten sued very easily despite being very careful and meticulous. I was exposed to TB and HIV as well as MRSA. I saw the effects of violence and sexual abuse against children and adults.

Recently there was a reunion of my nursing class. We graduated 88 students in the mid seventies. Less than half of us worked more than five years in the field. I think that says it all.

I hear ya 52andout. Your post brings back memories. :rant: The only good thing about them is that I can refer to all of that stuff in the past tense. Have you FIRED yet? If not are you close? I hope you are.

Back
Top Bottom