NYT article on fat/diet/obesity (it's genetic and that's that)

mykidslovedogs said:
What an interesting article. Thanks for posting it. Being the melting pot of the world, I wonder why Americans have so much more of a problem with obesity than other countries?

I keep wondering how much has to do with the stuff we feed our livestock to make sure they plump up nice and quick. That might at least explain why we have more problem with obesity in the US than other nations, where they also sit around a lot, eat all the wrong foods, and presumably are genetically very similar.

Whether this is relevant or not, I go organic and don't eat dairy products made from cows with rbst or other growth hormones.

LKH said:
I keep wondering how much has to do with the stuff we feed our livestock to make sure they plump up nice and quick. That might at least explain why we have more problem with obesity in the US than other nations, where they also sit around a lot, eat all the wrong foods, and presumably are genetically very similar.

LKH.. I wouldn't be surprised if hormones had something to do with it. I remember this being fingered also in very precocious onset of puberty in some areas of either Mexico or Latin/South America; not sure if the charges stuck.

I also remember reading somewhere about the ever-increasing amount of corn that we ingest, a lot of it without thinking about it, since so many processed foods have corn syrup and modified food (i.e, corn) starch these days, replacing sugar and wheat flour. (Go ADM and corn subsidies!). Not to mention that besides the chemicals, what plumps up cattle nowadays is corn.

It's certainly possible our bodies process these in a slightly different way rather than just being about sheer # of calories. Something to for someone to look into if they haven't already.

Here is a strange observation. Went to a company meeting last week with a bunch of "Tim Allen type" field service engineers and Tech's mixed in with a bunch of geeky Phd application scientists. Not hard to guess who the skinny group was. Interesting to note that the "sales guys" present were inbetween the two extremes. Go figure.

How to lose weight?

Funny I was watching something last week and someone asked how do you stay so thin don't you eat ? response.. Rarely!!

Are you hungry she was asked, Answer Yes.. Ok I will take you and get you a club soda!!

Now just go and finish your 10 mile workout!! 8)

As I have been modifying my diet, I am amazed at how much I used to eat.

Also, I have started buying local meat; it still has some corn in it, but at least no hormones or pre-emptive antibiotics.

LKH said:
we have more problem with obesity in the US than other nations, where they also sit around a lot, eat all the wrong foods, and presumably are genetically very similar.

What other countries are you referring to?

a bunch of "Tim Allen type" field service engineers and Tech's mixed in with a bunch of geeky Phd application scientists. Not hard to guess who the skinny group was.

Are you saying that the less-educated service engineers were ignorant about diet, and sat around watching NASCAR eating Cheetos and getting fat while the Geeks were aware of proper food nutrition, ate a healthy diet, and maintained a precise ideal weight?

Or are you saying that the action-oriented, backpacking, weight-lifting service engineers were more buff than the desk-bound, coca-cola drinking, introspective geeks?

I honestly can't guess which group would tend to be fatter.

the article wasn't conclusive to me - seemed to jump from A + B = Q i think for the article to assert that it's just genetics - let's throw up our hands is not consistant with what is going on now in the states.

The overweight since childhood people had different metabolisms than people who were slimmer - surprise? no. my friends who have been pregnant who were overweight before - had a much harder time losing the baby weight than the people who were slimmer before - totally unfair but it is what it is.

Genetics? TAl points out the historical difference between say 30 years ago and now - we are all getting bigger. and our genes have not changed.

But food has - food is more modified, processed, colored, flavored, packaged and fried than ever. that is also a fact. and foods made for kids are worse. my sister is in WW and they tell you to shop the perimeter of the store because the whole inside is processed foods - ie bad for you - isn't that scary? add in time in front of tv/video games etc...

Genetically - our bodies are made to retain fat because cave people didn't always know where their next meal came from and the Ingalls family worked a lot harder than most people these days - yet food is more abundant and bad for you.

The more kids get overweight - earlier in their lives - the less likely they are to exercise, have interest or ability in exercise and then their metabolisms are shot - for the long term. get them healthy and fit early on and they have a better shot. My niece is very overweight for her age (i think 60 pounds at age 3) and she has not been able to develop muscle tone, had she been able to run/play like other kids her age - so she can barely carry her own weight. her parents both had weight issues - but she also is fed a terrible diet - so it's not one w/out the other methinks.

another note on the family genetics - my family - my parents very slim, from asia where obesity is not common - my two sisters have had weight issues since their teens and we ate a lot of processed foods (working parents, tv dinners...) so they don't fit the formula either. i didn't - even though i ate the same bad foods - i was more a picky eater and perhaps my genes are slightly different than my sister's - and they are also more emotional eaters than i am - is that genetic? maybe.

also, other countries that have allowed american processed foods into their doors have also had to loosen their belts - so let's look at the obvious too...

I think it's a combination of genetics and diet/exercise/eating habits. My dad has struggled with weight issues on and off his whole life. When he really puts his mind to it, he can lose 20 or 30 pounds just like that. As soon as he gets it off, he starts snacking again, and he puts it all back on. He's a grazer. He is constantly in the fridge, eating little bits here and there. If's there's chips in the cupboard or peanuts, he's snacking on them. He also eats really fast - never takes his time. He tries so hard to lose the weight, but it's always a struggle, and he feels like he's starving whenever he's on a diet.

I am one of those naturally thin people. My mom is skinny too, and so are my sisters. As a little kid, I was so skinny and lanky, it embarrassed me. I used to pull my socks up to my knees thinking it would make me look like I had a little meat on my bones, when it really made me look even skinnier! :-[ Now that I am older, I guess you could say I look "normal", and if I gain a few pounds, I really don't have too much trouble getting rid of them within a few days....just cut back on the fatty foods, go for a few hikes, do some yard work, drink a few less beers and wahlah - gone.

I don't think you can blame it all on genetics, but there's no doubt in my mind that genetics play a huge role.

That would be "voilà - gone", right? :-\

P.S. I love dogs, too! ;)

It's simply a matter of energy (caloric) input versus energy expended. You take in more calories than you burn, and it is stored as fat.

There were no fat people in Auschwitz.

mark said:
It's simply a matter of energy (caloric) input versus energy expended. You take in more calories than you burn, and it is stored as fat.

There were no fat people in Auschwitz.

Oh man are you on point there.

nothing like extreme comparisons to make a point huh? :eek:

on another note - i wonder if that "starving" phase once obese/overweight people experience goes away with time if they are able to keep it off - that would be helpful information for people to know they won't always feel like they are starving...

bright eyed said:
nothing like extreme comparisons to make a point huh? :eek:

on another note - i wonder if that "starving" phase once obese/overweight people experience goes away with time if they are able to keep it off - that would be helpful information for people to know they won't always feel like they are starving...

I never felt like I was starving, I felt like I wasn't stuffed. Occasionally I'll slip and not use a small plate, and I'll eat too much and feel stuffed.

At least in my case, 60 pounds of fat (about one cubic foot) was stress.

I've stopped losing for now, but I really need to drop some more. I'll step up the exercising a bit and eat more vegetables and see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom