Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-04-2007, 03:16 PM   #261
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Another problem I have with Obama's plan (and also Edwards') is that they both keep the employer in the picture as the main provider of health insurance. That seems to inevitably lead to problems down the road as covered persons develop pre-existing conditions as they age. Wyden seems to understand that insurance should be linked to the individual, so he/she can never lose coverage.
FIRE'd@51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2007, 07:13 AM   #262

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Actually the article says that smokers will still be treated for free, but they may have to wait longer...and this applies only to non urgent surgeries.

Seems like a fine idea to me: if you do something thats bad for you that you may choose to stop and elect not to, you wait behind people who are taking better care of themselves.
The problem with this, is it is subject to the whims of those in charge. A perfect example was a friend of mine was diagnosed as an alcoholic buy the military, at a time when the powers thought it's younger people were drinking too much. Once he left the military he went to a civilian doctor, who was a retired O-6 doctor. The subject of drinking came up. This is when he was informed by the retired military doctor that the symptoms he described did not point to alcoholism outside the military. The doctor went on to advise him that when he was diagnosed, the military doctors were directed to lower the standard for consumption, so that almost anybody who drank could be diagnosed as an alcoholic.

I can see it now. I'm sorry Mr. Smith the three beers you drank last weekend exceeds our limits, so you will have to go to the end of the line and your surgery will have to be rescheduled. Does anybody else see flashbacks to Demolition Man?
Old 06-05-2007, 07:23 AM   #263
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lets-retire View Post
The problem with this, is it is subject to the whims of those in charge.
Everything is always subject to the whims of those in charge...right now its the insurance companies who are in charge.
farmerEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 07:47 AM   #264
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Health care in France: facing hard choices -- Lopes 177 (10): 1167 -- Canadian Medical Association Journal

An interesting article about health care in France.....and check out the eletter at the bottom.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 09:36 AM   #265
Recycles dryer sheets

Wanna know where your personal taxes might go if you get a system like our Canadian one? In most Canadian provinces, those in the top tax bracket of about 75K/yr pay around 45-50% combined provincial and federal tax, and your mortgage payments aren't tax deductable. I also have to pay into a provincial health care system about $60 per month for family of 4.

I would guess that our system is fantastic when one is old and not fabulously wealthy, since even though there are long wait lines for some procedures, if you have an urgent life threatening need for care, you're looked after immediately and ít won't cost you anything. Besides, if you are a Canadian with $$ and want that shiny new hip, you can just head to the States and have it done tomorrow.

Another problem that you Americans better look at before going this route is that emergency rooms here tend to get used like the family doc. It's free and probably often more convenient than booking an appointment at a 9-5 family doc, but those visits are brutally expensive and inefficient to the system (always remember, your tax money is "the system").
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 09:54 AM   #266
Full time employment: Posting here.

I found this comic amusing.

Mike D.
Attached Images
File Type: gif lprc071115.gif (27.0 KB, 35 views)
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 10:00 AM   #267
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Sticking a picture of a current emergency room between frames 3 and 4 would make it a lot less funny

Anyone get a bill from the post office for $32,000 for mailing a letter?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 11:28 AM   #268
Moderator Emeritus

From the March 14, 2007 issue of JAMA, a study of about 2500 patients who had heart attacks found that those who had trouble paying for health care (18% of the group) were in markedly worse shape a year later. They were more likely to be hospitalized. Inability to afford medications was to blame for much of the disparity.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 10:33 AM   #269

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykidslovedogs View Post
Let's just say Obama is elected, and he may very well be..he's attractive, smart and articulate, and he is good at promising the world. If his universal plan is implemented, what might the unintended consequences be?

I am an uper middle class American, who has my own busines and employs several people. If universal care is implemented, and let's just say my tax rates go up 10 to 20 grand per year (an estimate which I do not think is unreasonable), what might the unintended consequences be?:

1.) I might have to sell my home and downsize to something smaller (how many other Americans will be faced with similar choices, and what kind of economic impact will that have on the entire US economy?)

2.) I might have to fire one or two employees (who, by the way, I currently provide health benefits to). How many other small employers will have to do the same, and what kind of impact will that have on entire US economy?

3.) What about small employers who couldn't afford to offer benefits, but will now be forced to? How many of them will remain in business. How many people will lose their jobs? What kind of impact will that have on our economy as a whole?

These are all things that I think need to seriously be considered before any kind of universal plan is implemented. Politicians are very good at promising the world, and people stupidly elect them, without really understanding the ultimate consequences or without even really digging in and trying to understand the longterm impact to everyone.

4.) My mother or father might need an organ transplant or hip surgery in 10 or 20 years. Will they be able to get it, or will they be placed on a waiting list because costs have run umuck by then. These are the things I want people to think about.
when income tax rates go up, is there a different table for business taxes? I am sure you know how your business gets taxed... is it the same for all companies, or just small ones?