Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Oh No Husband Just Diagnosed with Influenza
Old 02-13-2019, 02:43 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Oh No Husband Just Diagnosed with Influenza

DH woke up this morning and said he did not feel well (sore throat, stuffy nose, generally blah), we took his temp and it was 102! Went to the doctor, had the quick flu test and it came back positive. DH is now on Tamiflu and I am wearing a mask, moving into the guest room, washing door knobs and light switches with bleach cleaner, washing my hands, etc.

So far I feel fine but DH felt fine yesterday too. I am notifying the 10 people we had lunch with yesterday about the diagnosis.

Yes, we both had the flu shot back in October. DH has a compromised immune system because he takes Humira for psoriatic arthritis so maybe that it is why he got the flu even though he had the flu shot and it seems like the vaccine was pretty effective this year..

Doc told DH to take Tamiflu, musinex, alternate tylenol and advil (doc said not to take aspirin, not sure why). DH will of course stay home until flu has run its course. I am fixing him chicken noodle soup, encouraging him to drink fluids.

What else can I do to help DH? What can I do to avoid getting it myself? Of course it may be too late for me because he was infectious yesterday when he had no symptoms and I gave him a kiss on the lips!
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2019, 03:17 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

You can google "flu home health care" or similar phrases and get the info, but lots of rest and warm fluids (chicken noodle soup, tea, water). Humidifier and/or steamy showers and/or pain meds will help with sore throat. Also, there are topical pain drops like Sucrets that work really well for me.

For you: you already got the flu shot. Give him space, wash your hands frequently, stay out of the way of his coughs, stay hydrated, and take it as easy as you can so you don't wear yourself out and get sick with something else.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 03:32 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I spent 2 weeks in bed last year with it. My husband didn’t get it. It just has to run its course.
Teacher Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 03:34 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I don't know if science backs it up, but I have found that Vitamin C seems to help inoculate me when the DW gets some funk. One of my SILs works in an elementary school and is sick constantly...I call her the carrier monkey.
Old 02-13-2019, 03:36 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I always like to drink extra vitamin C (OJ, low sodium Vegetable juice).
Otherwise, everything you are doing is good.
The flu is horrible..
Old 02-13-2019, 03:38 PM   #6
Administrator

DW and I both caught flu together last year. The most miserable 2 weeks we’ve ever spent together as a couple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
For you: you already got the flu shot. Give him space, wash your hands frequently, stay out of the way of his coughs, stay hydrated, and take it as easy as you can so you don't wear yourself out and get sick with something else.
This.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 03:40 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Best of luck to you both. Very smart of you to get to the doctor right away.
Old 02-13-2019, 04:08 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

To those of you suggesting Vitamin C, DH and I eat alot of fruits with Vitamin C and take a Vitamin C supplement every day. We told our doctor this and he said the eating fruit was good but the Vitamin C supplement was a waste of money...

Pharmacist said that the flu season was just now getting bad in our area, she was predicting a late bad flu season so everyone take care.
Old 02-13-2019, 04:58 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Your plan looks great... I would add Neti Pot 2x a day for congestion..
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 05:11 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

I'd be sure I was stocked up on

tissues
canned soup
otc meds
vicks vapor rub

I was mildly shocked at how many boxes of tissues we went through when all of us had a mild flu at the same time last year. I was also glad that we didn't need to go out for anything.
Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 05:27 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

+1 on the vitamin C.... Not sure if it's just in my mind but it sure seems to help ward off colds and flu (for me anyway). First sign of a sore throat, ill feelings, etc, and I start popping the vitamin C pills.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 05:55 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
Your plan looks great... I would add Neti Pot 2x a day for congestion..
OP here, we use the Nell Med sinus rinse everyday but my DH still gets sick so I am not sure if it helps him or not.
Old 02-13-2019, 05:57 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel View Post
I'd be sure I was stocked up on

tissues
canned soup
otc meds
vicks vapor rub

I was mildly shocked at how many boxes of tissues we went through when all of us had a mild flu at the same time last year. I was also glad that we didn't need to go out for anything.
Thanks for the reminder of Vicks Vapor Rub. Peoples Pharmacy recommends rubbing Vicks on the soles of feet under socks at bedtime and that seems to stop coughing. I will remind DH to do that.
Old 02-13-2019, 05:59 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

OP here. If I do get sick it will be an opportunity to try grocery delivery to the house. I have been meaning to try that, this would be a good time. I could order a case of tissues.
Old 02-13-2019, 06:05 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
OP here. I could order a case of tissues.
get the aloe ones, i resisted "goopy" tissues forever, but they are golden when you to blow multiple times per day.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 06:25 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
I don't know if science backs it up, but I have found that Vitamin C seems to help inoculate me when the DW gets some funk. One of my SILs works in an elementary school and is sick constantly...I call her the carrier monkey.
We always load up with Vitamin C and zinc, four or five times the RDAs on both. Anecdotally it seems to help us recover faster, though I can't prove ti scientifically.
Lewis Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 08:30 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
The most miserable 2 weeks we’ve ever spent together as a couple.
Sounds like me and the EX on our honeymoon.
Retiree_Having_Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 06:27 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

With the same symptoms as the OP my son was tested and diagnosed with flu and immediately started Tamiflu. He left for a skiing trip the next morning and had a good trip. Either Tamiflu is very effective or this year's strain is pretty mild. A few other people I know have experienced the same symptoms and done nothing and gotten better in a few days. If they had flu, it is a mild strain.
Old 02-14-2019, 07:08 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
alternate tylenol and advil (doc said not to take aspirin, not sure why).
Advil (ibuprofen) and aspirin have similar effects and so you can't accumulate the two. You could take aspirin instead of Advil, but the latter is probably more effective for pain and inflammation. Tylenol (acetaminophen/paracetamol) and ibuprofen are completely different chemically and so you can take a safe maximum dose of both.
BigNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 07:30 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

I started to have flu symptoms last Wednesday and I am only starting to feel better. Fever, muscle aches, coughing, congestion, sore throat, the whole nine yard. I just stayed in bed for 3 days and kept hydrated. I also took some acetaminophen to control the fever.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote