Join Early Retirement Today

One eye dilated??
Old 05-18-2007, 08:18 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

One eye dilated??

This morning after I got out of the shower, I noticed that one pupil was dilated! It lasted about an hour...back to normal now, but it definitely freaked me out. I googled this topic, and can definitely say there were no illegal drugs involved, don't suspect a stroke, did not get shampoo or skin cleanser in my eye. This is the first time I am aware of this happening. I am exhausted (having arrived at home @ 0300, then up at 0615 this am) but not hungover...any comments or suggestions?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: One eye dilated??
Old 05-18-2007, 08:46 AM   #2

Try getting some rest!!! Also, do you have a blood pressure issue lurking? I might want to make next stop the Dr's office.
crazy connie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 09:00 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I would see a doctor immediately.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 09:12 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireup2025
This morning after I got out of the shower, I noticed that one pupil was dilated! It lasted about an hour...back to normal now, but it definitely freaked me out. I googled this topic, and can definitely say there were no illegal drugs involved, don't suspect a stroke, did not get shampoo or skin cleanser in my eye. This is the first time I am aware of this happening. I am exhausted (having arrived at home @ 0300, then up at 0615 this am) but not hungover...any comments or suggestions?
This is called anisocoria. It is present in up to 20% of the population to some extent, and often is only noticeable in either bright or dark environments. There are a number of causes (many quite benign and unimportant) but occasionally it can signal something quite serious.

I agree with the advice to see your doctor (perhaps an ophthalmologist to start).

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 09:14 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

"If only one pupil is dilated, however, you may have Adie's syndrome, a condition in which one pupil contracts more slowly than the other in response to light. It's usually caused either by a malfunction in the mechanism that controls the dilation reflex or from a harmless inflammation of the eye nerves.

More seriously, a single dilated pupil could indicate a brain injury, stroke or tumor.

If just one pupil is larger than the other, see the doctor immediately, says Dr. Slakter. "This is a case where a matter of an hour or two could save your life," he says. "
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 09:20 AM   #6

I did have a complete eye exam on Tuesday morning (dilation and all) with the ophthalmologist.

Pupils are reacting normally at this point and am waiting on my nurse to return my call. Still waiting on all my routine yet detailed lab work to come back. I am inclined to think the 2.5 hours of sleep is the culprit, since I feel ok (yet tired!)

You guys found the same stuff...which prompted me to pose the question to my favorite online peers.
Old 05-18-2007, 09:54 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireup2025
I did have a complete eye exam on Tuesday morning (dilation and all) with the ophthalmologist.
Hunh, I thought it was caused by spending a lot of time on the periscope during a sunny day...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 09:57 AM   #8

hmmm... the one-eyed periscope. Have to remember that one.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:39 AM   #9

Proper and adequate rest is vastly under rated for it's healing powers! Must be nap time!!!
crazy connie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 10:47 AM   #10

Nurse called me back...basically said the same thing - get some sleep! So, I'll probably scoot out early and zonk out. Poor BF! Well, need the sleep big time because tomorrow will be busy! (see post about the Long Island beer thing)