One Year Challenges...........

FinanceDude

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I have done a bunch of these over the years, sometimes money was involved, sometimes it was an act of defiance when someone said "you can't give X up". So far:

1)Gave up all CAFFEINE for a year.
2)Gave up all FAST FOOD for a year.
3)Gave up all ALCOHOL for a year.
4)Gave up all SODA for a year.
5)Gave up all SWEETS for a year.

I NEVER did them concurrently. I was able to achieve all these, and it's been awhile since I did one. Any ideas about a new challenge? BTW, SEX is not a suggestion.................:cool:

Wow, you have done well!
How about TV?
Or better yet, w*ork!

When I was in high school mom offered us each $100 to not watch TV for 6 months. I was the only one of four that even tried, and I succeeded!

I gave up all fast food this January, hopefully for life.
I did it to be healthier and to save the $3.82 I spent almost every morning. I will occassionally let the kids have Wendy's, but it all looks gross to me now.

This reminds me of the Lloyd Bridges character from Airplane...."I guess that I picked the wrong day to stop sniffing glue".....;)

Did you end up replacing one vice with another....?

This reminds me of the Lloyd Bridges character from Airplane...."I guess that I picked the wrong day to stop sniffing glue".....;)

Did you end up replacing one vice with another....?

Not really....... I'm working on giving up work, not there yet.

I could give up golf, but then I would have no fun. I already gave up expensive cars, all women except DW, don't drink really at all, no tobacco, etc.

I guess I'm pretty boring..........:D

Gave it up...

Give up CHECKING YOUR PORTFOLIO? :D

-CC

Give up posting to this forum? j/k! :)

I've given up soda. Dead calories I'd rather fill with cheese, chocolate or something else delicious. :)

And alcohol - I rarely drink anymore.

Although if I do ever drink soda, it usually has some Jack Daniels or rum in it.

A year? No. But for the last maybe ten years I don't drink alchohol during the month of January. I tend to be a habit kind of person and have a drink almost every night, rarely more than one, but it's a stiff drink. Taking January off is a way of checking to see if it bothers me - figure if it bothers me too much then I should be concerned. Still drinking, still entertained by overcoming habit.

Do you have a mental or behavioral challenge you could benefit from?

Like, I won't say anything negative about another person for one year - that would be a toughy!

Or I will not complain about X for one year...

Maybe go for a positive challenge like finding something to really enjoy everyday; or to laugh more. I've been trying this in the work day and so far only suceed on the way to work; I'm enjoying my commute!

This one's a real challenge: Do something nice for someone every day. Let someone go ahead of you in the checkout line, stop and help a mom struggling with three kids and heavy packages, etc. Just smile at someone who looks cranky.

It sounds hokey, but I try to do this (not othen enough) and when I do, I think it helps me as much as them....

This one's a real challenge: Do something nice for someone every day. Let someone go ahead of you in the checkout line, stop and help a mom struggling with three kids and heavy packages, etc. Just smile at someone who looks cranky.

It sounds hokey, but I try to do this (not othen enough) and when I do, I think it helps me as much as them....

As sappy as it sounds, I do that stuff all the time. Even holding doors open for women gets a smile and a nod...............:D

Give up hopping on a pogo-stick while standing on only one leg.

I've managed to abstain for 29 years now.

I have done a bunch of these over the years, sometimes money was involved, sometimes it was an act of defiance when someone said "you can't give X up". So far:

1)Gave up all CAFFEINE for a year.
2)Gave up all FAST FOOD for a year.
3)Gave up all ALCOHOL for a year.
4)Gave up all SODA for a year.
5)Gave up all SWEETS for a year.

I NEVER did them concurrently. I was able to achieve all these, and it's been awhile since I did one. Any ideas about a new challenge? BTW, SEX is not a suggestion.................:cool:

I think TV is next for you. It will change your life for the better and I think you will never go back. I haven't for about 4 years now.

You could try not to buy anything but basic essentials for the next year.
I am working on not buying anything made in China....it is actually working really well.

I think TV is next for you. It will change your life for the better and I think you will never go back. I haven't for about 4 years now.

Our TV "broke" when we last moved 3 years ago. It's been interesting to say the least but it was the best thing for us to do with 5 and 2 year olds in the house. Didn't think that we could last this long, but I can't see ourselves going back. Life is too short and losing time to the dumb box is not the smartest thing.

I gave up all caffeine for one year. All alcohol for 6 months. No longer drink soda of any kind. Gave up all meat but the occasional chicken breast for 18 months. Gave up all dairy for one year. Now only have cheese, yogurt, and as a summer treat: ice cream.

It is good to reinforce who is in charge. Since retirement, I gave up lunch (except for social times and then I pass on dinner). Like retire@40, I also limit my drinks. But I lost count! It was that party! I never drink before 5pm (in Bermuda).

I gave up coffee and of course no alcohol when I was pregnant with my daughter. I had a very painful attack of pancreatitis during June and had to give up my 1-2 glasses of wine a day. That means no alcohol ever again! I also am trying to leave coffee alone, just in case, but I think that will be much harder to do than the alcohol. I think I will have some decaf cafe au lait once in a while. Barnes & Noble just isn't the same without a cup of coffee.

Hey, i'm in my sixth year of gainful unemployment. I havent had a dollar of earned income in all that time. I'm very happy.

Come on...try it...send me your earned income...

You could try not to buy anything but basic essentials for the next year.
I am working on not buying anything made in China....it is actually working really well.

Hey, Citrine: did you hear about the new book about this? It was on my NPR podcast last week: A Year without Made in China One Family's True Life Adventure in the Global Economy by Sara Bongiorni.

FD: I gave up TV maybe 10 years ago--great thing to do!
But I think you should think of a challenge that isn't giving up something, but instead is doing something new...hey, how about that CFP? :) And yes, the exam last weekend was beyond grim & horrible!

Sarah

Back
Top Bottom