Osteoarthritis

I've got other arthritic spots (shoulder, lower back).

Got those too. I take 1 Tylenol-for-arthritis in the morning, and relatively recently have begun taking one in the evening also.

With luck, when the hip's done, I can eliminate the second one.

Well, that was an Ontario hospital I linked to. Surprising, but oh, well.

Well, that was an Ontario hospital I linked to. Surprising, but oh, well.

Yabbut, the article is the better part of three years old, plus there's a distinct possibility that various regions within Ontario have differing parameters.

Me.....I just want to get (fully) mobile again so that, if/when travel becomes viable, we can frappé la rue encore.

My left hip recently started bothering me. That leg is shorter and weaker than the right but I used to swim several times a week, treading water and leg strengthening. Have not done that in months, thank you CV-19.

Should I wait weeks, months to get checked out? The ache comes and goes. My shoes make a difference in the ache. I call it an ache because it's not an outright pain. I'd appreciate some guidance because this is new to me. Is it how much can one tolerate? Do surgeons encourage putting off surgery until it's unbearable?

Just finished a very productive 'telephone assessment' - as I thought, bone-on-bone on the right hip, (they don't perform anterior surgery on people over 50 here), and the replacement will likely be done laterally.

That's surprising to me that they don't do the anterior procedure based on age. I had a hip replaced laterally at age 59 and the other hip done with the anterior procedure at age 64. The results for both are magnificent! I'm in the USA and both of mine were under ObamaCare insurance with me paying a LARGE deductible.

The difference for me was in the recovery restrictions. With my lateral replacement I had the "no bending past 90 degrees" restriction for at least 6 weeks. That means you cannot bend your leg closer to your torso than a right angle. That was probably the toughest part of the recovery. But honestly, I got through it just fine and if that was my only option I'd be glad to be able to get the new hip.

Good luck to you and I hope that you get scheduled soon.

Last edited:
Should I wait weeks, months to get checked out? The ache comes and goes. My shoes make a difference in the ache. I call it an ache because it's not an outright pain. I'd appreciate some guidance because this is new to me. Is it how much can one tolerate? Do surgeons encourage putting off surgery until it's unbearable?

I had the hip pain ache off and on for years (but was also riding horses in endurance). So, I would mention the pain during yearly physicals and then xrays revealed a moderate level of arthritis.

Fast forward to 2020. Sold the horses a couple of years prior and walked the dogs 4-5 miles a day instead. 5 months ago things began to deteriorate (periodically and then more frequently, a step would be so painful I wondered whether I could take another and I had to stand for a while shifting my right hip before I could continue) so off I went to the ortho doc.

My total hip replacement surgery is next week (the plan: lateral approach, spinal block with conscious sedation, home that same day). I’m 65, in good health, normal weight. [As an aside, I’m hoping there is far more sedation than conscious when it comes to my state during the procedure...]

I think you’ll know when it’s time to explore possible intervention for your discomfort - when it gets to the point where you think you should because it’s interfering with the quality of your life. I’ve never heard or read the recommendation to wait until the pain is unbearable. I have, however, heard many say they suffered longer than they needed to.

HTH

Last edited:
Ouch! I wasn't thinking when I posted. Tell them you wan't the incision in the front! Maybe you will get lucky (Anterior Procedure).:cool:

I got "lucky" and got an anterior hip replacement. I have nerve damage and chronic pain as a result. Anyoen who wants to have joint replacement needs to hear about both the good AND bad outcomes. They are not all good. There is a wide range of possible outcomes. My outcome is on the bad side of middle but far from the worst.

In 1920?

a) they died younger, of something we don't die from much any more, and so were spared the worst that osteoarthritis can do
b) if not, they hobbled around the best they could, or if rich, were pushed around in chairs by others.
c) They had lots of bad days when they couldn't do anything, and they took opiates. Aspirin was also around but as you know, that doesn't do much after a point.

Good luck with your new bionic parts!

For me, the pain has finally gotten to the point where I’m grateful SOMETHING can be done (what happened to people with arthritis 100 years ago I keep wondering?).

!

In 1920?

a) they died younger, of something we don't die from much any more, and so were spared the worst that osteoarthritis can do
b) if not, they hobbled around the best they could, or if rich, were pushed around in chairs by others.
c) They had lots of bad days when they couldn't do anything, and they took opiates. Aspirin was also around but as you know, that doesn't do much after a point.

When I was young (65 years ago) I remember my grandmother was in a wheelchair (she was definitely not rich !). I asked her why and she said she had a bad hip. Now she would just have a hip replacement and go on her merry way!

I have a cousin who is a few years older than me. She had a hip replacement a few years before mine. I remember our shared grandmother having a stiff walk with a limp. When my first hip was going bad I had a very similar limp.

My first orthopedist told me I had congenital hip dysplasia. When I stared putting it all together I got very sad thinking about the years of suffering and pain my grandmother lived with, while my cousin and I get new titanium hips.

My grandmother had 14 grandchildren. The oldest is now 74. I wonder how many have hip problems?

Last edited:
I got "lucky" and got an anterior hip replacement. I have nerve damage and chronic pain as a result. Anyoen who wants to have joint replacement needs to hear about both the good AND bad outcomes. They are not all good. There is a wide range of possible outcomes. My outcome is on the bad side of middle but far from the worst.

Aaron, sorry to hear it didn't work out well for you. I had BOTH hips replaced by a world class surgeon here in Houston using the anterior procedure. He was one of the Docs that pioneered the procedure and he has done over 5,000 of them in the last 12+ years. He now has his own surgery center here in Houston.

I am back to better than normal now and I had the second hip done last November (11 years after the first). I am playing golf again and I am back to my old handicap after 11 years off the game. Knock on wood that my knees stay in good shape!

Last edited:
My total hip replacement surgery is next week (the plan: lateral approach, spinal block with conscious sedation, home that same day). I’m 65, in good health, normal weight. [As an aside, I’m hoping there is far more sedation than conscious when it comes to my state during the procedure...]

HTH

Don't worry, you will be out for the cutting, sawing, drilling, banging, installing screws, glue and closing you up. I was given the same drug procedure. It's all about a quick recovery from the anesthesia so that Medicare can get you out of the hospital within a day. :facepalm: In 2020, hip and knee replacements are coded as outpatient by Medicare.

Good luck! Too bad you are not getting the anterior procedure, but you will be fine with the lateral.:cool:

Don't worry, you will be out for the cutting, sawing, drilling, banging, installing screws, glue and closing you up. I was given the same drug procedure.:

At my pre-op appt the PA, wanting to be thorough I suppose, described how my femur would be dislocated from my hip socket at the start of the procedure accompanied by a mock physical demonstration. All I could think about was how many times I had seen this when parting a whole chicken...

There, that feels a little better - I’m not alone with that image! (YW all)

I’ve followed the anterior vs posterior discussion with interest and while I would welcome an potentially easier recovery, I’m good with my surgeon using the methodology of his choice.

Onward.

In 1920?

Ha ha ha! Amethyst has the correct answer, but it also reminds me of a discussion I had with my surgeon for back surgery. Hey, he's a good surgeon, my surgery came out great, but he has a terrible bedside manner. Apparently, one of his hot buttons is history of surgery. He wanted to engage me in an argument! You see, he is very proud of surgery and the fact they were doing some pretty special things by WWI on a limited basis. So, he wanted to argue.

Me: "Wow, I have pain scale of 8 to 10. What did they do 100 years ago with people like me who had this common condition?"

Dr. Argue: "We treated them, of course."

Me: "With morphine?"

Dr. Argue: "Surgery."

Me: "Really?"

Dr. Argue: "Spinal surgery has a rich history of success, especially laminectomy. It is now routine because of those pioneers and why I'm telling you that for me, it will be like treating a dental cavity."

Me: "OK. Then what did they do 200 years ago?"

Dr. Argue: "Ah, OK. See Amethyst's list."

He then basically outline Amethysts list exactly. Is that you Dr. Argue? :LOL:

Last edited:
Why wait another day to get an orthopedic evaluation? Unless previously diagnosed, you may not have arthritis, or only the amount expected for your age. Perhaps the pain is of mechanical origin (i.e. uneven stresses on your tendons and ligaments, caused by the leg length discrepancy). Perhaps physical therapy is needed before surgery is even considered.

My left hip recently started bothering me. That leg is shorter and weaker than the right but I used to swim several times a week, treading water and leg strengthening. Have not done that in months, thank you CV-19.

Why wait another day to get an orthopedic evaluation? Unless previously diagnosed, you may not have arthritis, or only the amount expected for your age. Perhaps the pain is of mechanical origin (i.e. uneven stresses on your tendons and ligaments, caused by the leg length discrepancy). Perhaps physical therapy is needed before surgery is even considered.

Yeah, she should go see the hip surgeon. With a few x-rays, the doc can give her the news. ;)

Thanks. I keep thinking about a lady (runner) DH met at the YMCA therapy pool before COVID. She kept running on her hip, through the pain. Let it go for weeks. Turned out she had a fractured hip and ignoring it made it so much worse.

I'll make that appointment.

I had a hybrid - between lateral and posterior. I also had nerve damage, with resulting intermittent pain and chronic weakness. I pretty much didn’t have a choice - I was in severe pain and could barely get around at age 55. So I’m better off than I was, but not as good as I expected. I always tell people to wait before having this type of surgery, if they can. It’s also a great idea to do a lot of pre-op physical therapy to get all the surrounding muscles as strong as possible, which will make recovery faster.

Ouch! I wasn't thinking when I posted. Tell them you wan't the incision in the front! Maybe you will get lucky (Anterior Procedure).:cool:

aja8888, may I know why you recommend that a hip replacement should have the incision in the front? Thanx.

About 6 years ago, my right knee was in constant pain and I could only stand up by using my arms to push myself up. Orthopedist drained the fluid and gave me cortisone shots as frequently as insurance would cover them. He told me that down the line I would probably need knee replacement and was close to bone on bone.

After seeing what it had done for my German Shepherd, I started taking (human version) of Cosamin DS daily. It actually worked for me and I haven't had pain, or a cortisone injection in 18 months. My knee still cracks a lot, but I've been pain free.

I wish I could say the same for my hands. They hurt all the time.

Good luck to those having knee and hip replacements. I know that will be in my future.

About 6 years ago, my right knee was in constant pain and I could only stand up by using my arms to push myself up. Orthopedist drained the fluid and gave me cortisone shots as frequently as insurance would cover them. He told me that down the line I would probably need knee replacement and was close to bone on bone.

After seeing what it had done for my German Shepherd, I started taking (human version) of Cosamin DS daily. It actually worked for me and I haven't had pain, or a cortisone injection in 18 months. My knee still cracks a lot, but I've been pain free.

I wish I could say the same for my hands. They hurt all the time.

Good luck to those having knee and hip replacements. I know that will be in my future.

For your hands have you tried CBD creme. My elderly mother has arthritis in her hands--she was having to wear a hand brace and had so much pain she could barely use her hands. I got her some CBD creme and now she has no pain and can use her hands and no longer has to use the brace.

Last edited:
Voltaren gel. A topical NSAID works well for me. No need to dose your whole body, just use it where it hurts. CBD did nothing for me.

aja8888, may I know why you recommend that a hip replacement should have the incision in the front? Thanx.

Not all people will qualify for this procedure. The surgeon must be qualified in this procedure, a special table is used to position your body for the work of the robot and the surgeon, The incision is only 4" long, there are no critical muscles or nerves impinged or surgically cut, and the recovery is typically much shorter than other procedures.

I had both hips replaced over an 11 year period by the same surgeon. He is the recognized expert in this type of surgery.

Here is a lnk to his website that will provide more information and an animated video of the anterior procedure.

https://www.inov8ortho.com/stefan-kreuzer-inov8-orthopedics.html
https://www.inov8ortho.com/surgical-videos-inov8-orthopedics.html

I was out of the hospital the day after each surgery and walking around my neighborhood that week with a walker or cane for support. I was allowed to drive in ten days for my after surgery doctor visit. I was walker and cane free after two weeks and playing golf after two months.

Last edited:
For your hands have you tried CBD creme. My elderly mother has arthritis in her hands--she was having to wear a hand brace and had so much pain she could barely use her hands. I got her some CBD creme and now she has no pain and can use her hands and no longer has to use the brace.

I haven't tried it, but I should give it a try. I almost can't imagine my hands not hurting.

Back
Top Bottom