Join Early Retirement Today

Osteoarthritis
Old 10-07-2020, 10:01 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Osteoarthritis

Last month had knee-hip X-Rays. Knees, as I've known for eons, are shot, (I ran a marathon early 1984 with tensor bandages, had arthroscopy in 1998, attending surgeon said "Sooner or later, try and make it later..").....I've been able to manage the knees.

Right hip has been given me problems lately, periodic 'lurching', ergo the scans.

Seems there's a spur, (plus moderate to severe osteoarthritis), responsible for the lurching ("You Rang?"...no, not that Lurch.....but then again...)

When I asked our family doctor to set up the X-Rays I requested an appointment with the surgeon who replaced one of the lady next door's knees and whom she highly recommended. But this is Ontario...and Covid Ontario to boot...so next week there's a 'telephone assessment' with someone from the local hospital, (qualifications unspecified).

Round and round we go.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2020, 10:06 AM   #2
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post

Round and round we go.
Due to the bum hip no doubt
Old 10-07-2020, 10:10 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nemo, ask me about hip replacements if you care to get a rundown on what's the best/latest surgical procedure. I'm a double hip replacement guy!
Old 10-07-2020, 10:16 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Nemo, ask me about hip replacements if you care to get a rundown on what's the best/latest surgical procedure. I'm a double hip replacement guy!
Shades of Bumble the Beadle and Oliver Twist...this is Ontario..."You'll take what you're given".

Old 10-07-2020, 10:28 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Shades of Bumble the Beadle and Oliver Twist...this is Ontario..."You'll take what you're given".
Ouch! I wasn't thinking when I posted. Tell them you wan't the incision in the front! Maybe you will get lucky (Anterior Procedure).
Old 10-07-2020, 10:44 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I've been amazed at how good my TKR surgery (knee replacement) turned out. It feels like "my" knee, completely natural, except that it is way stronger and works better than before the surgery. I'm a lot stronger now and can do more, and I am convinced that it will last longer than I will.

Just trying to be encouraging. Once the surgery is done, it's done, and you won't even think about it any more. You'll be out enjoying your new knee/hip/whatever and life is a lot more cheery. Sorry that you have so many crummy joints to deal with and I hope the bureaucracy doesn't keep you from getting them repaired. Don't give up!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 10:56 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Just trying to be encouraging. Once the surgery is done, it's done, and you won't even think about it any more. You'll be out enjoying your new knee/hip/whatever and life is a lot more cheery. Sorry that you have so many crummy joints to deal with and I hope the bureaucracy doesn't keep you from getting them repaired. Don't give up!
Thank you.

Give up? Moi? Au contraire. I'm somewhat of a Doris Day acolyte in this respect, ("Que Sera, Sera" and all that), combined with "full steam ahead"..(oops, wasn't that Captain Edward Smith?)...throw in a little "We shall overcome".....hurdles to be jumped is all.

Old 10-07-2020, 10:59 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Thank you.

Give up? Moi? Au contraire. I'm somewhat of a Doris Day acolyte in this respect, ("Que Sera, Sera" and all that), combined with "full steam ahead"..(oops, wasn't that Captain Edward Smith?)...throw in a little "We shall overcome".....hurdles to be jumped is all.
With all that and a little lot of extra persistence/obstinance, you'll get this done before too long. Good!

Old 10-07-2020, 11:30 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

After having back surgery, a knee replacement and major shoulder surgery, my wife's mid foot arthritis pain has becoming unmanageable. She's facing major fusion surgery which requires 4 days in the hospital, 3 weeks in rehab and being off her feet for 2 mos. Recuperation is about 1 year, and who knows how she'll be able to walk. Then she has to go thru the same thing on her other foot.

We're just figuring out how to manage the situation while raising a 9 year old granddaughter.

Arthritis can just be so vicious no matter what kind. Unfortunately, so much of it appears hereditary.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 11:37 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
We're just figuring out how to manage the situation while raising a 9 year old granddaughter.
Wow....puts my pathetic sniveling into perspective. Good luck, (to all three of you), hope you can get through it OK.

Old 10-07-2020, 11:43 AM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We have a dear friend who, in the last years, has gone thru 2 hip replacements and both knee replacements. Her most recent knee replacement was done as outpatient surgery and was up and walking (albeit just a little bit) that afternoon. She followed up with only 6 weeks of PT. I hope yours goes as well.
CRLLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 11:59 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I wish the best for you. Take a good look at your beautiful grandchildren for continued inspiration.
Old 10-07-2020, 01:01 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Nemo, while you are figuring out the surgery issues I suggest you try rubbing your aching joints with CBD creme. I, DH, DM and many friends have arthritis and we have found CDB creme helps. Here in the states you can order it online.
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 01:19 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
Nemo, while you are figuring out the surgery issues I suggest you try rubbing your aching joints with CBD creme. I, DH, DM and many friends have arthritis and we have found CDB creme helps. Here in the states you can order it online.
Thanks.....we drive through the rez to get to DW's daughter's place....all gas stations and MJ outlets.

In general though, the physical discomfort I can usually shrug off, it's the stumbling and walking constrictions when the hip spur kicks in that piss me off.....I like to be mobile and hate restrictions.

Old 10-07-2020, 03:01 PM   #15
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Ahh, come on... remember, our healthcare is "free"

If I was you, I'd go for a full below the neck replacement ...

Just remember to draw an arrow on your neck pointing downwards....

(don't worry.. my day will come..)
Old 10-07-2020, 08:31 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I've been amazed at how good my TKR surgery (knee replacement) turned out. It feels like "my" knee, completely natural, except that it is way stronger and works better than before the surgery. I'm a lot stronger now and can do more, and I am convinced that it will last longer than I will.

Just trying to be encouraging. Once the surgery and recovery are done, you're done, and you won't even think about it any more. You'll be out enjoying your new knee/hip/whatever and life is a lot more cheery. Sorry that you have so many crummy joints to deal with and I hope the bureaucracy doesn't keep you from getting them repaired. Don't give up!
Just correcting my post. I forgot to mention the recovery from surgery, which seems like it will take a billion years when you are going through it. But even an hour after my surgery I could walk farther than I could the day before. Then the rest of recovery was a constant joy and surprise as my knee became more and more capable. Eventually it is done, and you will be all set.

Old 10-08-2020, 04:57 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Looks like it will need TAR (total ankle replacement) at some point. When I have gotten it x-rayed I am routinely asked:

1. How many times have you broken it? (None AFAIK)
2. How do you walk around in slip-on shoes (um they are comfortable?).

It is permanently larger than my other but still managing. No more basketball but I walk hike and bike. Hopefully the technology for TAR will continue to improve.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 05:35 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Thank you.

“Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead.”

- Admiral David G. Ferragut, during the battle of Mobile Bay
HawkOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 06:18 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkOwl View Post
“Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead.”

- Admiral David G. Ferragut, during the battle of Mobile Bay
I fear my weak attempt at irony may have slipped by....Captain Edward Smith was the Master of the RMS Titanic.

Old 10-08-2020, 06:42 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I fear my weak attempt at irony may have slipped by....Captain Edward Smith was the Master of the RMS Titanic.
Lol, thanks!
HawkOwl is offline   Reply With Quote