Join Early Retirement Today

I recommend Walmart for a good exam for $40
Old 07-02-2019, 05:13 PM   #61
Confused about dryer sheets

I recommend Walmart for a good exam for $40

6-11-19 I got an eye exam at Walmart in Valparaiso, In.
It cost $40 and $10 extra for the test that blurs your eyes.
I told the eye doctor I was buying my glasses online.
He gave me my complete prescription including my pd measurement which they had me look into a hand held machine. I am waiting to receive my glasses from Zenni.
I would recommend Walmart.
eddiegorniakjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2019, 05:28 PM   #62
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiegorniakjr View Post
6-11-19 I got an eye exam at Walmart in Valparaiso, In.
It cost $40 and $10 extra for the test that blurs your eyes.
I told the eye doctor I was buying my glasses online.
He gave me my complete prescription including my pd measurement which they had me look into a hand held machine. I am waiting to receive my glasses from Zenni.
I would recommend Walmart.
I've been using Walmart for years to get my eye test and prescription. Great deal.
Old 07-02-2019, 05:40 PM   #63
Confused about dryer sheets

Zenni online is great. I’ve ordered three pairs. All under $100. First pair was $60. I’ve gotten some with sunglasses lenses that snap on and some that clip on. My exam was around $40 with no optical insurance, but a discount for having Aetna medical.

After LensCrafters wanted to charge me $700 for a pair, I decided I needed to find a new way. It’s ridiculous.
Ped01l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 06:14 PM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by workmyfingerstothebone View Post
Went to optometrist today, insurance allows for $150 plus 20% off over the allowance for frames and progressive lenses run $80 to $160.

The eye exam has $20 copay and $25 to $50 copay for glasses.

I started looking at frames and yikes $250+. That doesn’t include lens.
The wife found a pair and the cost (frames & lens) would have been $170 after insurance.

My premiums are $240 a year.

This Prices strike me as unusually high. Maybe I’m cheap but what are others paying?
I’m thinking drop the insurance and use the savings to pay for exam and glasses. Year one the wife gets hers, year two I get mine and then repeat.

Don’t see a benefit to the insurance.
There is no point in carrying it. I wear glasses and have never opted for the vision insurance.
Murph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 06:24 PM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

We have used Zenni for 5 plus years with good results. My sister tried after 3 years of telling me they can't be as good as her $700 glasses. Finally she sat on $700 glasses and tried Zenni. She is now a customer for life. Average cost $45 to $65 per pair for progressive lenses and frames delivered. We opt for slightly more expensive frames. If we wanted , we could get the same lens in a cheaper frame for maybe $35 to $40. Highly recommend Zenni. STOP getting ripped off!
Dave J is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 06:29 PM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

Another vote for Zenni Optical. I have bought numerous pairs over the years from them as backup glasses, and prescription sunglasses, always been happy. I had a pair of high end titanium frames bought at the local optometrist many years ago, probably at least 15 and they just never wore out, I kept changing lenses as needed, but the original pair was over $500 back then for progressive, photograys etc. Lost a lens out of them about a year ago and decided to see what a high end Zenni pair would cost me as a replacement. With similar titanium frames, progressive and pretty much the best of each option including photogray and they came in at $260 delivered.

I had gotten a back up pair with everything the same with cheaper but good frames and good but not the best in all the other options including progressive and photogray earlier last year as a backup pair $135 delivered. Backup pairs can be had for a lot cheaper but I wasn't going for cheap I wanted at least good for a backup pair.

Had my latest eye test at local optometrist last month and she asked how long I have had my glasses so I admitted that I had bought them online but didn't cut corners and she thought they were very good and tested well for my correction.
Jeb-NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 07:32 PM   #67
Full time employment: Posting here.

Cheapest glasses I got is less than $50 from www.visionpros.com.

$25 for the inexpensive frame.
$25 for single vision lenses.

The eye examination was from my Kaiser HMO medical plan and my co-payment was $30. Hence my glasses was about $80 total.

I like visionpros.com because they do sell inexpensive frames as well as expensive designer frames. Naturally getting bi-focals and other add on increase the cost of the lens.

I have very poor vision but I see perfectly with them so I cannot complain. Since the glasses are so cheap, I got one for distance, one for computer use and one for reading, When my vision do change, it is usually the distance glasses while my reading glasses and computer glasses are still clear. I never did like bifocals and progressive lens.
2177V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 09:26 PM   #68
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingybear View Post
I've used eye buy direct for no line bifocals with no-name transitions. About $130 all in.

Glasses have been high for a very long time.
I also use eyebuydirect.
morriss003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 06:19 AM   #69
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Another Zenni lover here. I tried them first for me about 3 years ago. I have monovision so mainly just use glasses for driving and watching tv. Have purchased multiple pair 1 with an "expensive" $26 frame plus $5 in add-ons so $31 total and several other basic pair at $7 each. Used Zenni for DW for her last glasses order - she gets no line bifocals and even got blu blocker lenses - total cost for her with an extra single vision pair just for tv watching in the BR was under $100 - we previously got hers at Walmart and they usually ran around $180 for 1 pair. I measured PD for myself for the first order and we went to Costco for our latest eye exam and I asked the doctor for the PD which she happily provided and I was within 1 mm of her official measurement.
wmc1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 06:25 AM   #70

A Walmart exam and Zenni fan here for maybe 5-6 years. My eyes are getting better year after year. I get Titanium half-rim frames and progressive high refraction lenses with the oleo treatment. The lenses come standard with polished edges (an add on from my local DR). I do have to wait about 2 weeks for delivery.

The last 2 pair of glasses that I ordered had a note included saying that the glasses were made under license using a patented process held by a US company.

As mentioned before, Zenni is located in the USA. At least the final shipping is from here. Their glasses are made to order overseas, shipped in bulk to the US location, then shipped to the customer. This adds a bit of delay. You can pay a bit extra to speed up the process a bit.

If the frames break after warranty, you can buy just the frames (if they are still currently offered) for very little price. They include a small kit for you to change the lenses. I wish that I could purchase just the lenses. But they don't sell the lenses separately.
CRLLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 07:15 AM   #71
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
Do you have a Costco in your area? I just got a pair of progressive lenses in a basic frame for about $180 all in.

The last pair was about $100 more because the most comfortable frame happened to be name brand (Mont Blanc). The frame is very well built though. I think I will be able to reuse the frame for a number of lens changes though.

They had a full titanium frame Kirkland house brand frame for $80
But they discontinued it. Real sturdy an super light.
Both my spouse and I tried progressive lenses from Costco and were not satisfied with the progressive lenses compared to higher end lenses. I guess it all depends on each person and what you are used to. Love Costco, just not the quality of their progressive lenses.

Our experience was about 3-4 years ago, maybe they have upgraded their progressive lenses?
Old 07-03-2019, 07:56 AM   #72
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I’ve always been afraid to try progressive lenses. DH tried a few years ago and hated them.
Old 07-03-2019, 08:00 AM   #73
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I’ve always been afraid to try progressive lenses. DH tried a few years ago and hated them.
So he prefers lined bi or tri focal lenses over progressives? The lines in the lenses would drive me nuts. Once you wear progressive lenses for a few days they feel great!
tsturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 08:04 AM   #74
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsturbo View Post
So he prefers lined bi or tri focal lenses over progressives? The lines in the lenses would drive me nuts. Once you wear progressive lenses for a few days they feel great!
Sme here about the lines. I have progressives and love them. 15 years now with them.
Old 07-03-2019, 09:17 AM   #75

Quote:

I've had mine for 10+ years now, and love them. Only took a day or two to get used to them......now I never even think about it. The last ones I got from Zenni, though, were not right. I will probably try them again in the future, but I'll be more careful next time about measuring my PD, and if they still aren't right, I will be returning them right away.
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 09:28 AM   #76
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes, make sure you are measured correctly and frames get adjusted to you when you receive glasses. I have not chanced ordering progressives online, too much can go wrong with sizing and fitting, this is where a good shop makes all the difference.
tsturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 09:37 AM   #77

Quote:
I like my progressive lenses now, but it took a few months of wearing them to get used to the distortion. Moving my head would make me feel nauseated. I can still see the distortion, but it stopped triggering my stomach. Walking down the stairs with progressive lens glasses can also be an interesting experience. That said, I wouldn't give them up.
jimbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 10:33 AM   #78
Full time employment: Posting here.

Wilmer Optical charged me $498 in 2008 for progressive bi-focals and frame and $709 in 2014.
Lawrencewendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 11:46 PM   #79
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
My question is, since I like getting various features like hi-index lenses, progressive, driving transitions, prism, are all these features listed on the prescription? Or are these features added on and selected at time of going to the optical department like Costco or Lenscrafters when I pick out a cool looking frame ?

Prism is part of the script - but it depends on the curvature of the lens (like with wraparound style). The fitter needs to tune the progressive to get what you want (all purpose vs office distances, computer distance, etc).

And getting ANSI Z-87 spec safety glasses is a pain in the rear.
Bongleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 07:15 AM   #80
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsturbo View Post
Yes. He doesn’t need much distance correction at all. At home he wears just the near distance correction set for his computer screen distance.

The progressive lens drove him nuts because he had to keep his head in a precise position to see his computer screen and couldn’t see the whole thing at once. Maybe this is not a big deal for reading, but for editing photos it sure is.

Personally, I’m fine with the line. I normally wear contacts and readers as needed (most of the time indoors).