Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-30-2022, 06:26 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have been working out (in various forms) since high school. I had to learn the hard way - by getting injured. Fortunately nothing was so extreme to be permanent. But overall I learned that consistency was more important than increasing weights/reps for fitness, and lessened the chances for over-exercising. For example, I have stayed at 30 lb barbells for curl reps for 10+ years. As long as I am consistent in the frequency of doing them as part of my workout 4-5 times a week, I have no need to increase the weight (though I could).

In my view, the more consistently one works out, the better one knows one's body, and something will just "feel different" during the workout to indicate that one better slow down or stop, to keep from overexercising.

With my routines, I also go with "if any soreness lasts more than a day, slow down". When I was younger I would not follow this, as my recovery time was quick. Now in my 60s, I go by the adage that it will take me longer to heal from a workout injury, so I will back off when I start feeling any long term soreness.

We are not all the same from a body composition and fitness standpoint, this is what works for me.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2022, 06:33 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Overexercising for me? Fat chance. Never did in my life.

Still, I guess with a BMI of 24, still being able to do pushups and pullups, BP of 125/80 with medication, fasting blood glucose of 100 without medication, I don't want to exercise more, lest it messes things up.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 11:04 AM   #23

I can't say if the theory is correct, but my wearable's app uses the time it takes nighttime heart rate to normalize as an indication for when to ease-up. If the heart rate takes a majority of the night to drop to your normal low, it advises easing your work out. If the heart rate drops down right away, it says to hit it hard.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 11:23 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Definitely it takes way longer to heal from injuries post 60!
Old 02-27-2023, 01:45 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Famed bodybuilding coach, the late Vince Gironda recommended three weeks on, one week off. He did NOT mean workout every day for three weeks. He meant whatever your normal routine is, whether it be three times per week or whatever. Then after three weeks take one full week off. Then you start your three active weeks again. I found it works for me.
FloridaJim57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 02:05 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It's a little over a year since my first heart surgery (stents), so I've had to cut back from what I used to do. But up to early February 2022, I would strive take one or 2 days off per month. I wasn't fanatic about that either way, and sometimes I'd do some sort of daily workout (run, swim, cycle, weights) for a full month. Once in a while, regardless, I'd get a general feeling of fatigue - that would be my signal to take a couple of rest days.
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 04:32 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post

Has anybody dealt with over exercising? What did you do?
A trip to a dr followed by rest and sometimes crutches
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 11:58 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm sitting in my recliner icing my right knee as I type. I am 65 y/o who has always enjoyed working out and as an FYI my right knee has some osteoarthritis as well as my left from years of running marathons. To answer your question it is never one specific moment where I can say to myself that the injury just happened. I have done every popular routine that has come along, P90, P90X, Insanity, Turbo Jam, Crazy Jillian, you name it. I am currently a Caroline Girvan Junkie, by far the best personal trainer On YouTube. I have done every series she has come out with. I also use 375 Dance Studio for Cha Cha, Bolero, Cumbia, Salsa, and a dozen other dance styles. I generally warm up with 20 minutes of dancing followed by a 40ish minute of resistance and dumb-bell training and then cool off with another 20 minutes of dancing. I have a tendency to hurt the wrist, knees and back and eventually can identify how I did it if I look hard enough. This last injury was lingering and I ignored it, kept stressing the knee because of my insanity with exercise. It takes weeks to recover from these but I'm hard headed and can certainly empathize. All of my injuries have been either overuse of a joint or too heavy of a dumbbell. I can only attribute them to personal obsession with staying fit and ignoring clear signs of early discomfort because of vanity!
ratface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 07:34 PM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
I can't say if the theory is correct, but my wearable's app uses the time it takes nighttime heart rate to normalize as an indication for when to ease-up. If the heart rate takes a majority of the night to drop to your normal low, it advises easing your work out. If the heart rate drops down right away, it says to hit it hard.
Recovery is not just how long it takes to get back to resting heart rate. If you are actively working your muscles to both build them or get stronger your workout should be pushing the muscles to a point of failure. That damages the muscle and signals the body to build new muscle and get stronger. Those are often the aches and pain we feel and why they don’t recommend working the same muscle groups every day and if you are hitting it hard to sometimes give the body a few days off, and do cardio instead

I am in the middle of a body reset… losing weight and fat, building muscle, definition and strength. I needed to lose 30 pounds and convert fat to muscle. I suppose if it was just losing fat and not building muscle I would have needed to lose 60 pounds. Still have 20 pounds to lose but 10 pounds of muscle to add! Why a retired guy with white hair wants to have big biceps and thighs and everything else? Simple it will keep me strong and vital as I age! Besides who doesn’t want to look good at the beach?
Old 03-15-2023, 06:42 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired Expat View Post
I am in the middle of a body reset… losing weight and fat, building muscle, definition and strength. I needed to lose 30 pounds and convert fat to muscle. I suppose if it was just losing fat and not building muscle I would have needed to lose 60 pounds. Still have 20 pounds to lose but 10 pounds of muscle to add! Why a retired guy with white hair wants to have big biceps and thighs and everything else? Simple it will keep me strong and vital as I age! Besides who doesn’t want to look good at the beach?
Increased muscle has so many benefits, especially for aging people. Muscle building should be mandatory.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 07:12 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

I have some soreness everyday from exercising.
However, when I take 2 days off in a row due to rain, my hips are sore and sometimes other parts.

Tags
over exercising