Join Early Retirement Today

Personal profile...are you single? married?
Old 04-21-2011, 12:17 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Personal profile...are you single? married?

So, I just came back from the doctor's office and had to update my personal info. I noticed that I was asked about three different incidents (at check in, updating my form, before having lab work done) about my status -- single? married?

Perhaps someone can clue me in...why is that such an important piece of data in the personal profile and health? I'm sure there's a reason more than just for the doctor's office's curiosity and I'm sure I wasn't hit on
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2011, 12:23 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
So, I just came back from the doctor's office and had to update my personal info. I noticed that I was asked about three different incidents (at check in, updating my form, before having lab work done) about my status -- single? married?

Perhaps someone can clue me in...why is that such an important piece of data in the personal profile and health? I'm sure there's a reason more than just for the doctor's office's curiosity and I'm sure I wasn't hit on
Just answer "N/A" and see what they say!

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 12:27 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

That information could help in determining whether or not to call a female patient "Mrs. Jones" or "Miss Jones".Other than that, I am not sure.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 12:32 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
That information could help in determining whether or not to call a female patient "Mrs. Jones" or "Miss Jones".Other than that, I am not sure.
The secretary at my doctor's office calls all the young women the same name..........."girlfriend"............:lau gh:

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 12:34 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

It may be a bit of a hold-over but there may be next-of-kin issues in the event of medical emergency. It may also help collection agencies.

I always felt that it was helpful to get to know my patients to build a comfortable relationship, and typically I ask "who else is at home beside yourself" which provides further information about potential disease exposures, stressors, etc.

Can't think of anything else at the moment.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 12:34 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

They want to come after your wife too if you don't pay your bill.

Ha
Old 04-21-2011, 12:37 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

They need to know weather to use one finger or two.
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 12:40 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

"Married" means just that, you are currently in a legal union with another person, as evidenced by the still valid marriage license.

"Single" could mean never married, divorced, or widowed.

Maybe two check boxes was all they could fit on the profile form.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:53 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Insurance? HIPPA? I also had a dr visit early this morning and no one asked my marital status. Maybe someone IS hitting on you, ES!
Old 04-21-2011, 12:58 PM   #10
Gone but not forgotten

I occasionally have to fill out those forms & when they say single ,married,divorced , widowed . I want to write in all of the above .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 01:00 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I occasionally have to fill out those forms & when they say single ,married,divorced , widowed . I want to write in all of the above .
How about retired - but willing to party.

heh heh heh -
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 01:06 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Insurance? HIPPA? I also had a dr visit early this morning and no one asked my marital status. Maybe someone IS hitting on you, ES!

I don't think so as that was the first question asked.

Now if it went...

Date of birth? Age?

Occupation? Oh...you are retired. how nice at such an early age.

So, are you married? ...single?

Then I was definitely hit on
Old 04-21-2011, 01:08 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
How about retired - but willing to party.

heh heh heh -

The nice thing about being retired was when filling out the form, instead of having to put in occupation, name of company, address, phone etc. I just put in N/A - Retired
Old 04-21-2011, 01:26 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Why do you think you have to distinguish between Single and Divorced? I've been divorced more years than I was married, so why do I have to keep on saying I am divorced? is what I wonder whenever I fill out those forms.
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 01:29 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I alternate - not married, but not single either. Don't see many boxes for stable monogamous 33 year union. Hospitals get kinda pissy about letting someone other than a spouse or parent in if things are the least bit dicey. Even with a medical power of attorney. If things could be such that I want her in watching out for my interests while I'm knocked out she is noted as a spouse.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 02:10 PM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
I don't think so as that was the first question asked.

Now if it went...

Date of birth? Age?

Occupation? Oh...you are retired. how nice at such an early age.

So, are you married? ...single?

Then I was definitely hit on
They already knew, guessed or don't care for the answers to the first 2 questions. I think you are being hit on.
KingB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 02:26 PM   #17
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I just came from the allergists office, new patient visit. They didnt ask me my marital status.
Bimmerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 02:43 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

In my case, single is a big clue to the doctor - it means I am eating my own cooking!
gromit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 03:05 PM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
Why do you think you have to distinguish between Single and Divorced? I've been divorced more years than I was married, so why do I have to keep on saying I am divorced? is what I wonder whenever I fill out those forms.
This bugs me, too! I was divorced many years ago and I remember the first time I had to fill out a form which differentiated between Single and Divorced. I decided that it was nobody's business whether I *had* been married previously, and from that point forward starting checking Single.
ksr is offline   Reply With Quote