Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: At what age did you consider health to be a key factor in your future?
Under 30 8 6.84%
30-40 8 6.84%
40-50 31 26.50%
50-55 18 15.38%
55-60 18 15.38%
60-65 14 11.97%
65-70 9 7.69%
70-75 6 5.13%
75-80 2 1.71%
Over 80 3 2.56%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-19-2017, 06:03 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The best thing that I ever did for my health, was to quit smoking at 33 years old. I try to watch what I eat some of the time, but need to do a better job. I am still in the normal BMI range though. I work out some, but have to admit that I am not consistent. I signed up to, Maintain Not Gain, at the gym last week.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2017, 06:13 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I prefer anonymous polls.
Old 11-19-2017, 06:19 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

I was a fat 22 year old who ate the wrong foods and drank too much beer. I started eating healthier, reduced beer intake and started exercising. Since then, I've spent the past 40 years fine tuning the diet (with occasional bad food binges) and going in and out of various exercise programs in an effort to improve/maintain health. The latest tweak was to increase hiking/biking/weights and quit running, and decrease sugar and red meat intake.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 06:56 PM   #24

As DW and I age we get more concerned. She has Afib plus an aortic aneurysm. She is planning to have an ablation shortly to permanently fix the Afib (fingers crossed) so she can get off some of her meds. The aneurysm is under watching with an ultrasound every 6 months.
She is 5 years younger than me.
But my dad died at 92 and my mom at 102. Taking the average, I figure I am good until 97.
Next year I will join the Flying Octogenarians. i plan to keep flying as long as I can pass my medical exam and my biannual checkride.
We just celebrated our 10th anniversary, and I want DW around to at least our 25th.
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 07:32 PM   #25

Not really "Age related" as I was actually just fine. Hercules. Then I let my doctor treat me for diseases he swore I had but didn't. Side effects. Adverse reactions. Destroyed my health for the better part of a decade. I rebuilt myself but some of the damage is permanent and not being able to take most antibiotics considerably shortens my potential for a life as long as I would otherwise have had.
razztazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 11:04 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

I got to see this guy speak last night. I'm not sure he still is, but at one time work out trainer for Ellen DeGeneres.

Two comments he made that got me to thinking:
1: Eat you water. (By that he meant foods such as vegetables and fruit. The average person eats 92% of calories either meat or processed foods. With foods containing water, the water is delivered as needed throughout the body. By drinking water, it collects in the stomach. Not sure how true this all is, but did make sense.)
2. He doesn't use the word "exercise". As in going to exercise and doing practically nothing the rest of the day. That's me. I thought exercising I did my thing, I'm good for the day. He said we should think "movement". Moving our bodies, stretching, etc.

John Pierre does bootcamp with Ellen DeGeneres | John Pierre
Elbata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 03:03 AM   #27

I bicycled a lot and worked out at the gym almost daily when younger, but started getting lazy and gaining weight by the time I retired at 48. A diagnoses of prediabetes scared me into losing weight, but too slowly. Although I lost 80 pounds by Jan 2017, I had progressed to full diabetes. I improved my diet (a lot), upped my exercise and started daily insulin and a statin.

I have since lost 28 more lbs, dropped my A1c from 10.9 to 5.8, cholesterol from 234 to 111, triglycerides from 596 to 79, etc. While I still cycle, I mostly walk now, twice/day 2-4 miles each time. Eat a lot of spinach salads, greek yogurt, meat (mostly fish now instead of beef), and burrito bowls.
Old 11-20-2017, 06:10 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

I picked 65-70 because I decided to lose weight and pay closer attention to healthy eating about 5 years ago. But, as I thought about it I could also pick 30 since that was when I started going to the gym which I have kept up ever since.
Old 11-20-2017, 06:56 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Mr. A. gets comments at the Dr. for the shape he's in. I mean, he has no gut, no moobs, and his legs have muscles you can see. I guess that's just plain astonishin' at his age. He can belt his pants at his (very nice) natural waistline. You'd think it was mandatory that any man over 70 have droopy boobs, a big flabby gut, toothpick legs, and belt his pants just under his arms. But no, plenty of them take good care of themselves and it shows.
You (and Mr. A) are fortunate! It's sad when people accept poor physical condition as inevitable after a certain age. My FB friends post memes about how out-of-shape they are ("If you see me running down the street, call the cops because someone is chasing me") and when I look for birthday cards for friends and family in my age group, most of the cards are jokes about what terrible shape we're in. It takes discipline and a bit of luck, but it doesn't have to be that way.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 07:01 AM   #30
Dryer sheet aficionado

I have always been a fitness enthusiast but since retiring 2 months ago I have taken it to a new level. Joined a yoga studio and take a class at least 6 days a week. Nothing like hot yoga to get you going. In addition I ride my bike outdoors (except in cold weather!) and if it is too cold I do the stationary bike. PLUS I have started a dog boarding business and last week I walked 35 miles with one of my pups! I now need new walking shoes - a good problem to have

I highly encourage everyone on this forum to take up some form of exercise not only for the body but for the mind. For me fitness has always been a part of my life but now I know that it will provide my life more quality
Kristinia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 07:08 AM   #31

I should have read the first line before voting. I seem to be the only one that minds that someone can set a poll to show the actual usernames of the answers. Since most polls here deal with finances, I think I am through participating in polls.
Tadpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 07:30 AM   #32

So far (I’m 67) my health has been excellent. Take statins for cholesterol, have to watch my blood sugar as diabetes runs in the family, but otherwise no issues. My stategy is to remain very fit by working out almost everyday and keeping my weight down. Since retiring 11 years ago, it’s much easier to keep the workouts up.

My doctor described my fitness level as “remarkable” for a guy my age. Still ski and bike. My thinking is “use it or lose it”. Not sure how long I can keep up this rigorous regime, but hoping for at least late 70’s plan on fighting it all the way. Obviously, this could change very quickly.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 07:30 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadpole View Post
I should have read the first line before voting. I seem to be the only one that minds that someone can set a poll to show the actual usernames of the answers. Since most polls here deal with finances, I think I am through participating in polls.
Interesting. First time I've seen a public poll here. Seems it would discourage participation, but maybe an accidental choice by the OP?
Old 11-20-2017, 07:41 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
So far (I’m 67) my health has been excellent. Not sure how long I can keep up this rigorous regime, but hoping for at least late 70’s plan on fighting it all the way. Obviously, this could change very quickly.
I hear ya. I'm a bit worried that one day I'll turn into a news story about the 60-osmething lady who dropped dead during a 35-mile bike ride or a sprint triathlon- our local corporate athletic competition (in which I still participate as a retiree) has an award named after a local business owner who suffered a fatal heart attack during the triathlon. While there are worse ways to go, I want to be around for my granddaughters!

This year I scared the crap out of myself on one of the charity bike rides- came home feeling awful and had agonizing pain in one knee (which I'd banged up falling off the bike 10 miles in, while simultaneously trying to pedal and unwrap a granola bar). I crawled into bed, swilled down 2 liters of club soda, and was fine the next AM except for a mild ache in the knee. I had gotten dehydrated. Lesson learned.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 07:51 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

It is because fitness gets really demanding as you age, especially if there are any underlying issues, which there are in my case. I experience chronic, low-level (say 2 or 3) pain at all times, and am prone to back and shoulder problems. Mr. A. has exceptional genetics and hasn't had an ache or a pain. Trying to maintain some level of fitness takes me 12+ hours in the gym every week, plus other stuff at home, and it's starting to feel like a full-time j*b. I'm not really surprised that others prefer the couch potato/I'll-just-take-more-pills life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
You (and Mr. A) are fortunate! It's sad when people accept poor physical condition as inevitable after a certain age. My FB friends post memes about how out-of-shape they are ("If you see me running down the street, call the cops because someone is chasing me") and when I look for birthday cards for friends and family in my age group, most of the cards are jokes about what terrible shape we're in. It takes discipline and a bit of luck, but it doesn't have to be that way.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 07:53 AM   #36
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Interesting. First time I've seen a public poll here. Seems it would discourage participation, but maybe an accidental choice by the OP?
If it was a mistake then it can easily be made private if the OP requests it.
Old 11-20-2017, 08:07 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I hear ya. I'm a bit worried that one day I'll turn into a news story about the 60-osmething lady who dropped dead during a 35-mile bike ride or a sprint triathlon- our local corporate athletic competition (in which I still participate as a retiree) has an award named after a local business owner who suffered a fatal heart attack during the triathlon. While there are worse ways to go, I want to be around for my granddaughters!

This year I scared the crap out of myself on one of the charity bike rides- came home feeling awful and had agonizing pain in one knee (which I'd banged up falling off the bike 10 miles in, while simultaneously trying to pedal and unwrap a granola bar). I crawled into bed, swilled down 2 liters of club soda, and was fine the next AM except for a mild ache in the knee. I had gotten dehydrated. Lesson learned.
Yes. I sometimes tell Mrs D that it’s quite possible I will die during a workout. Hopefully not for quite a while. This is one of the reasons we like to do them together.

I am very lucky that I have never had any issues with my knees, ankles, etc. Biking is about as good as it gets for these types of issues I think.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 08:14 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Yes. Is there some way to
a. See the results by participants, and
b. Change it to be anonymous?
Old 11-20-2017, 08:17 AM   #39

Not sure how to answer. Making reasonably good health choices has always been a priority but my crystal ball is foggy when it comes to my future health. When it goes south that is when I will be most concerned unless I am lucky enough to not have time to be concerned. Hoping to be active and lucent into our 80s and beyond if possible. Time will tell.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 08:19 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
Yes. I sometimes tell Mrs D that it’s quite possible I will die during a workout. Hopefully not for quite a while. This is one of the reasons we like to do them together.

I am very lucky that I have never had any issues with my knees, ankles, etc. Biking is about as good as it gets for these types of issues I think.
See if you can get an angiogram. That will eliminate the risk of a sudden heart attack. That is what would have helped Bill Clinton. You might have to pay for it since there are no symptoms.