Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Do you need or use ACA for either you, your spouse or Family? For how much longer?
Yes, Required for 1 more year 7 3.48%
Yes, Required for 2 more years 12 5.97%
Yes, Required for 3 more years 21 10.45%
Yes, Required for 4 more years 5 2.49%
Yes, Required for 5 years or more. 92 45.77%
No, do not Need or Use ACA 64 31.84%
Voters: 201. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-26-2020, 11:30 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Signed up for ACA plan today, starts in April.

I didn’t realize there would be a gap between last work day and ACA start date. I thought it would be next day coverage .

10 years until Medicare so changes to Healthcare are more or less inevitable.
51notout is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2020, 09:40 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

DH/me on ACA since 2014 and will stay on until 2022. Both of us turn 65 in 2022 but I'm never sure when Medicare kicks in. Is it on your B-day or the first of the following year? If the later, we'll be on until Jan. 2023.
Old 03-04-2020, 10:32 AM   #43

Sorry, voted No before reading your first post.
I am covered until Medicare by paying for retiree insurance.
Old 03-04-2020, 10:33 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rianne View Post
DH/me on ACA since 2014 and will stay on until 2022. Both of us turn 65 in 2022 but I'm never sure when Medicare kicks in. Is it on your B-day or the first of the following year? If the later, we'll be on until Jan. 2023.
https://www.medicare.gov/sign-up-cha...coverage-start
Old 03-04-2020, 10:37 AM   #45
Administrator

Medicare begins on the 1st of the month you were born, as long as you apply a couple of months earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rianne View Post
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 01:27 PM   #46
gone traveling

When my COBRA ran out, at age 59, I had to learn about ACA and what it means, including subsidies, MAGI, etc. That was part of how I found this site, for which, thanks!

I will turn 65 in May 2021, and DW in Sept. 2022... We have managed to keep our costs low because we had enough money in non-retirement accounts to live on, and I am sure glad we did. It would have been a double blow to have to bring over (say) $48K from IRA, which would then (with taxable income up around $65K) let to quite a bit more in healthcare premiums.

I suspect that we feel the way many others here do. During 35 years of high earnings, we paid and paid and paid. Now we get a benefit.
BoodaGazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 03:47 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

DW and I have been on an ACA plan since January 2019. I am about 2 years from Medicare eligibility but DW has 10 years until eligible. We are currently on an ACA Bronze plan with a $6k per person deductible but by managing our MAGI, we are receiving virtually a 100% subsidy (we pay only $11 per month towards a $1347 monthly premium). Once I hit 65 it will get much trickier to manage MAGI towards single-only coverage for her based on our current dividends and CGs. It may be that we can't manage it, so then we'll need to pay full boat for her coverage and I'll start paying closer attention to the TIRA to ROTH conversion threads.
Old 03-06-2020, 05:47 AM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

I use the VA. Partner uses ACA plan fully subsidized but high deductible.
Joylush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 12:17 PM   #49

We each have individual, nonqualifying private plans purchased through Farm Bureau (no need to own a farm, luckily).

Historically, after COBRA ran out, we took the easy route and had ACA for 6 months--it was just barely more expensive than COBRA (~1300 a month for the two of us). Then, we were home long enough to sit down and do some research; quickly realized that we had been grossly overpaying for health insurance.

(TN residents; no real health issues/conditions; no subsidies available.)
Old 03-06-2020, 12:35 PM   #50

It's rather telling of the times we live in that a FB friend of mine turned 65 today, and the dominant message (after 'happy birthday') was some variation of "congratulations on getting Medicare".
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 01:09 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
It's rather telling of the times we live in that a FB friend of mine turned 65 today, and the dominant message (after 'happy birthday') was some variation of "congratulations on getting Medicare".
Not too surprising for any time. The subsidy is nice even for those fully subject to IRMAA--which is alternatively known as "the Medicare subsidy reduction." https://secure.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0601101001 (also observing that base Medicare B premiums equate to ~25% of the program's cost).
Old 03-06-2020, 04:57 PM   #52
Dryer sheet aficionado

I am currently planning to retire (for the 2nd time) at 60. I will need the ACA for 5 years. I have pre-existing conditions that could be expensive, so if it goes away, so does my retirement.
winyaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 05:01 PM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

Need is an overstatement, but we're using it for 52 and 55 year olds through medicare age.

If it goes away, I'll be a bit miffed that we did a large Roth conversion late last year as it could have been spread out more evenly.
Old 03-06-2020, 05:36 PM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

My COBRA ends on 3/31/20. Just signed up this week for ACA, which both spouse and I will need for more than 5 years. Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you look at it) we cannot manage to the MAGI amount as our fixed monthly income puts us above the subsidy level. At least we are already used to paying high COBRA premiums so ACA is just more of the same.

If ACA goes away, either I'm going back to work or we are moving out of the country.
meridiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 05:59 PM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

In retrospect, COBRA would have worked for us almost to the same degree (at least for a while). You may want to inquire about one staying on COBRA and one on the exchange.
Old 03-06-2020, 06:34 PM   #56
Full time employment: Posting here.

Husband is on Medicare. He is 65 ( will be 66 in April) and just retired 12/31. I was on his employers retiree medical insurance for Jan snd Feb but it cost $545 per month with a high deductible. So I suspended it and went on a Silver plan starting 3/1 for $40 per month and no deductible (and $8 copays) since we are living on our savings for right now, so our income is going to be very low for this year and next. I will be 64 in June so just have to get to next June for my Mecicare.
meleana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 08:28 PM   #57
Confused about dryer sheets

I retired two years ago at the age of 62 (forced retirement due to my company going chapter 11). Cobra only lasted a few months and I made too much to qualify for Obama Care. Luckily I stumbled upon a solution for me which is Christian Health Ministries, a not for profit organization where all members share in the costs of each other’s medical expenses. For my situation it has been just the ticket to get me through til next year when I become eligible for Medicare. The cost of participation in CHM comes at a small fraction of the cost of personal health insurance outside of ACA. Detailed information about Christian Health Ministries can be viewed at chministires.org. I am currently considering using CHM as a means to supplement Medicare in place of a separate medigap coverage used with Medicare.
Jballbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 10:07 PM   #58
Confused about dryer sheets

Retired at 59.5 and needed until 65 My wife and I have been generally happy with it compared to other options. We pay very reasonable(actually really cheap) premiums, however deductibles and OOP are expensive.
geezee1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 06:57 AM   #59
Dryer sheet wannabe

I retired 2 years ago at 60 and was covered by my companies retiree health plan which was really good. A few months later I got a letter saying they were doing away with retiree coverage and I was forced onto ACA. It has worked out okay since I take a biologic medicine that has a copay card that covers my deductible and out of pocket max on the second shipment in February so at that point I essentially have no more medical expenses except for premiums.
I was looking forward to medicare until I looked into it and found out that my first months medicine would cost me over $3k and about $1k a month after that plus all of the premium costs. Apparently medicare values the medicine at almost $18k a month and BCBS pays $5500 a month for the same medicine.
Donno is offline   Reply With Quote
ACA use
Old 03-07-2020, 02:07 PM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

ACA use

Enrolled in 2014. Managed MAGI to maximize subsidy. Saved ~approximately $70K. Medicare in April. Single policy HSA qualified $690/month no subsidy for self insurance till Medicare. Wife Medicare last October.
davidfin is offline   Reply With Quote