Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Do you Smoke Cigarettes?
Yes 14 4.58%
No 292 95.42%
Voters: 306. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-04-2018, 08:56 AM   #101
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrealizedPotential View Post
One thing that has to have some kind of impact, if even small among young smokers is the age restrictions. In California it used to be you had to be 18 to smoke, now you have to be 21. That should slow some down some of the younger smokers.
This is only my opinion, but I doubt that has had any impact at all. Anybody that wants cigarettes can get them. Similar to booze or pot. Although I guess it's a tiny bit harder now than it was when you could buy them out of machines.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2018, 09:03 AM   #102
Give me a forum ...

I used to visit Asia a lot for business during my W@#k#$g years. It is so prolific there, at least the places I visited. But I think they smoke for different reasons than we do. Asia, specifically China and Korea where my experience stems from at least. Cigarettes are (or were) very cheap there. Koreans especially I noticed are very sociable people and cigarettes are a way they can share what they have very economically while engaging in other sociable activities (Drinking). I noticed they were always giving each other cigarettes whenever the opportunity arose.
Old 08-04-2018, 09:32 AM   #103
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyBoy View Post
Reading this thread I feel so grateful for our modern (nearly) smoke-free world. Oh, the memories of air travel with the magic cardboard sign that kept all the smoke aft of a certain row and the sound of two dozen simultaneous lighter strikes at the sound of the first "ding" after takeoff. I recall a restaurant with a no-smoking table , and establishments with no-smoking sections that "floated," meaning if you didn't smoke they took the ashtray off your table. I grew up in a high school with a smoking block, and I also got away with not having a smoking permit.

Late in my career I described to one of the young people at the office how things used to be. They were in complete disbelief. "You mean you could smoke in the office?!"
Back in the 1990s, when our state and local legislatures were debating having places such as restaurants go smoke-free, I came across a cartoon which I mailed to all of my state and local elected leaders. It showed two adjacent tables in a restaurant with one table's patrons smoking and the other table's patrons not smoking. In between the tables were a pair of signs with arrows pointing to each table. Toward the smoker's table, the sign read, "Smoking Section," while toward the non-smoker's table, the sign read, "Second-hand smoking section." In my letter to each leader, I asked them to please get rid of this farce permitted under current law. They did.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 09:39 AM   #104
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyBoy View Post
Reading this thread I feel so grateful for our modern (nearly) smoke-free world.
Not just tobacco smoke, but wood or coal smoke from fireplaces. And horse manure on every street.

You don't have to go back too far for all this to be true (150 years?) - and frankly, a nice scented tobacco might be a nice improvement over the other odors.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 09:45 AM   #105
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
And horse manure on every street.
Just had a flashback to an old country & western song: "She Was the Stable-Keeper's Daughter and Every Horseman Knew Her".

Now back to your regularly scheduled program...
Old 08-04-2018, 09:55 AM   #106

I have never smoked a day in my life, though I was exposed to my share of second hand smoke as a kid. It seemed everyone smoked back then, my parents, aunts, uncles, and most of my cousins smoked cigarettes, and my grandfather smoked a pipe.

I have zero interest in smoking cigars, cigarettes, pipes, weed, or vaping. My dad died of smoking related cancers. My uncle died of lung cancer. My step-mom died of lung cancer. My father-in-law died of emphysema from smoking. I could go on, but that's enough evidence for me.

I love to travel but I purposely avoid going anyplace where smoking may be more common.
mountainsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 10:03 AM   #107
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
And horse manure on every street.
We need to reference The Midwest Family Road Trip thread. There was some discussion about going to Mackinac Island. Lots of fun! No cars. Bikes and horses.

Even though they have a near army of picker-uppers, even so it is easy to step in a pile. Gives you a very slight appreciation for the problem.

Fortunately, they don't make the islanders burn coal.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 10:14 AM   #108

I remember in the 80s my office had a literal cloud layer of smoke from all the smokers. I have seen the damage from smoking in my family members. Never smoked myself.
jim584672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 10:15 AM   #109
gone traveling

Never have, and never will smoke anything.

I got enough second hand smoke from my parents, and later my workplace, to last me the rest of my life. Thank goodness those days are over.

Smoking is one disgusting habit I have been able to avoid. I pity those who haven't been able to avoid it.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 10:34 AM   #110
Give me a forum ...

Made me think of my Dad, who loved smelly puns. He would also draw the word POOP as a big-eyed face with stick-out ears (one P was backward, of course).

The things that made me what I am today....

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Just had a flashback to an old country & western song: "She Was the Stable-Keeper's Daughter and Every Horseman Knew Her".

Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 12:39 PM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
I used to visit Asia a lot for business during my W@#k#$g years. It is so prolific there, at least the places I visited. But I think they smoke for different reasons than we do. Asia, specifically China and Korea where my experience stems from at least. Cigarettes are (or were) very cheap there. Koreans especially I noticed are very sociable people and cigarettes are a way they can share what they have very economically while engaging in other sociable activities (Drinking). I noticed they were always giving each other cigarettes whenever the opportunity arose.
I went to Korea in 1988 on a work trip to train about 20 of their engineers in a 5-day class. The training room had a large conference table with about 5-6 small plates scattered about with individual cigarettes piled high on them. (These cigs were company-provided and kept replenished).

Yes, the room was smoke-laden.

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 01:01 PM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
There's no upside to smoking cigarettes. I mean it doesn't make you feel particularly happy, or relaxed, or excited or anything, the way other legalized drugs might do (alcohol, weed (almost legal), etc). And they do put signs to warn the uninformed how dangerous it is like warnings on cigarette labels, ordinances banning smoking in all sorts of areas including multi-complex apartments, etc. Strange we can still buy this stuff.
Yeah, I always wondered exactly what was so alluring about smoking cigarettes that it would make people go out of their way multiple (even dozens of) times per day just to take a few puffs. I once asked a smoker friend of mine why it was so critically important for him to have cigarette before getting in a car for a 1 hour drive somewhere, and he said something like "It just relaxes me." And I remember thinking, "Well, taking a shot of vodka would relax me, but I don't seek to do it 20 times per day."

And speaking of smoking, I always found it really astonishing how the smokers at my workplace would step outside for 5 minute "smoke breaks" numerous times throughout the day, and no one ever said a thing about it. Some of these folks certainly spent well over on hour each day outside smoking and socializing with other smokers. And one day I wondered what my employer would say if all the sudden I decided to start taking numerous 5 minute "vodka breaks" throughout the day. "Hey, where's Sojourner?" "Oh, he's outside drinking vodka." "Ahh, OK, cool. I'll catch up with him when he gets back."
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 01:19 PM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
And one day I wondered what my employer would say if all the sudden I decided to start taking numerous 5 minute "vodka breaks" throughout the day. "Hey, where's Sojourner?" "Oh, he's outside drinking vodka." "Ahh, OK, cool. I'll catch up with him when he gets back."
I suppose you know the answer, but I'll bite anyway. The difference is you would become intoxicated after drinking Vodka and therefore unproductive at work.
JustCurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 12:22 AM   #114
Recycles dryer sheets

Mrs PD and me gave up together at the turn of the century, 18.5 years ago. We haven’t touched one since. Toughest thing I ever did.....
poppydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 04:32 AM   #115

I dabbled a tiny bit as a teenager but have basically never smoked.
Old 08-05-2018, 08:20 AM   #116

Never smoked a cigarette ever, but I did try a "funny" cigarette and a pipe coming home from 9th basketball practice on different occasions. I didn't like the weed, but loved the pipe, but I have never smoked it since.
Winemaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 08:33 AM   #117

Quote:
Yeah, I always wondered exactly what was so alluring about smoking cigarettes that it would make people go out of their way multiple (even dozens of) times per day just to take a few puffs. I once asked a smoker friend of mine why it was so critically important for him to have cigarette before getting in a car for a 1 hour drive somewhere, and he said something like "It just relaxes me." And I remember thinking, "Well, taking a shot of vodka would relax me, but I don't seek to do it 20 times per day."
Nicotine is a tough hook.

https://vapingdaily.com/quitting-eff...toms-timeline/

"A smoker’s brain works better when on nicotine because nicotine releases extra serotonin and dopamine in their brain. The two chemicals when released in extra quantity than the brain normally does, serve to improve cognitive brain functions such as clear thinking and brain’s power to memorize, etc.

When a smoker quits, the body begins to adjust to normal levels of chemicals, in reaction to which, the smoker feels different withdrawal symptoms. Nicotine withdrawal symptoms begin to appear very soon after the last cigarette. "

Plus, the pleasant sense of relief from withdrawal gets associated with the ceremony of smoking --pulling a smoke out of the pack, the sweet smell of the tobacco, lighting up and taking that first puff, and sharing the experience of the fix with other smokers if they're around.

Quitting can be really tough. When I was trying to quit years ago, my efforts were hampered by the many local stores that sold single cigarettes for a quarter. It was too easy to pop in and get "just one" for a fix, which usually led to another round of "what the heck, might as well buy a pack, it's cheaper". I finally managed to quit using aversion therapy: retraining the brain to associate smoking with something unpleasant.
O2Bfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 09:50 AM   #118
Give me a forum ...

My husband is a former smoker, who quit years before we met (otherwise, we never would have met). He says "cigarettes gave you something to do with your hands." This always strikes me as hilarious. What, do nonsmokers do weird things with their hands, or something?

Quote:

A?
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 12:20 PM   #119
Full time employment: Posting here.

It'll take a few more decades but eventually, our attitudes about eating animals will be what smoking is today.
Elbata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 12:31 PM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elbata View Post
It'll take a few more decades but eventually, our attitudes about eating animals will be what smoking is today.

Hope "a few more decades" is correct. I should be dead by then. Love me a nice thick New York strip.