Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: How well do you sleep?
I consider myself to be retired, and I am satisfied with the quantity and quality of my sleep 40 27.97%
I consider myself to be retired, and I sleep like a baby and feel refreshed and renewed... couldn't be better! 13 9.09%
I consider myself to be retired, and I don't get as much good quality sleep as I would like. 34 23.78%
I do not consider myself to be retired, and I am satisfied with the quantity and quality of my sleep 12 8.39%
I do not consider myself to be retired, and I sleep like a baby and feel refreshed and renewed... couldn't be better! 3 2.10%
I do not consider myself to be retired, and I don't get as much good quality sleep as I would like. 36 25.17%
None of these categories fit in my case or I think this poll is stupid. 5 3.50%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-23-2012, 06:55 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Sleep and I are old friends.

Mr B is a nocturnal frequent riser. I just go right back to sleep. zzzzzzzz
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2012, 07:06 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Not retired yet and am not getting the quantity or quality of sleep I would like. Usually go to bed at about 11:30 and DW says I'm out before my head hits the pillow. Up at least once during the night for the bathroom run and sometimes difficult to get back to sleep after that. My mind starts turning things over and can not shut it off so once or twice a week I'm up at 4-5 in the morning. Other nights I sleep until 6 am and feel well rested. Sure would like to sleep an additional hour or two on weekends but my internal alarm doesn't seem to grasp the concept, 6 AM rolls around and BAM - I'm awake.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:13 AM   #23
Gone but not forgotten

First 15 years of retirement, slept 8 hours.
Now different.

Reading between the lines, is seems that sleeping is important, and years and 5 or 6 years ago, I'd have agreed. Not now.

Life is such a great adventure, that sleeping may just be a waste of time. I even consider dreaming to be a part of "entertainment". Our lives are so basically peaceful, that the time of sleeping and the number of hours is not important... Can go to bed at 5PM or 1AM, sleep 'til whenever, get up and "compute" or watch TV, and even go to Walmart... at 2AM. Matters not.

Yes, I know and understand sleep theory... anabolic sleep, REM, etc, etc... and suppose that when the functional part of the non-sleep period is important, that the theory works. I don't think it applies as much when we grow older, and have a lifestyle that doesn't require being fully alert, with all systems functioning at 100%.

After getting over the "guilt" part of not sleeping well. It's much more enjoyable to take sleep as it comes.

Life is good!
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:32 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Life is such a great adventure, that sleeping may just be a waste of time. I even consider dreaming to be a part of "entertainment". Our lives are so basically peaceful, that the time of sleeping and the number of hours is not important... Can go to bed at 5PM or 1AM, sleep 'til whenever, get up and "compute" or watch TV, and even go to Walmart... at 2AM. Matters not.

After getting over the "guilt" part of not sleeping well. It's much more enjoyable to take sleep as it comes.

Life is good!
Quoted many times since, but it seems that the line 'I've got plenty of time to sleep when I'm dead' appears in a 1934 play by Alice Gerstenberg called Within the Hour.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:11 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

I used to sleep well but not anymore. While I go to sleep easily, I often wake up after 2-4 hours and toss about for an hour or two before I go to sleep again. Then I wake up an hour too early and toss about a little more.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:24 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Looking at the poll results thus far, with only 70 data points:

About 64% of retirees claim satisfactory or perfect sleep (so far).
Only about 33% of non-retirees claim satisfactory or perfect sleep (so far).

Not only that, of that subset claiming satisfactory or perfect sleep:
24% of retired claim perfect sleep (so far)
14% of non-retired claim perfect sleep (so far).

Quite a few of those responding do not get enough high quality sleep.

Interesting!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:50 AM   #27
gone traveling

I probably get 7-8 hrs a night, with 2 of them occurring on the sofa Hopefully that won't happen in retirement.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:59 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Although I am retired and sometimes awaken much earlier than I would like, I voted for #1. The ability to take an afternoon nap on those early wake up days works great for me.
Same here.

I'm hyperalert to non-routine noises, and if one of them wakes me up then my brain kickstarts... and sleep is over.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:35 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Not retired, but get 8-10 hrs sleep per night usually 8pm-5am. More sleep in winter, less in summer. More sleep while off work in az than in Il. Sometimes I'll take naps - even leave work to take a nap.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:14 PM   #30

Retired, except for landlord issues. Often get up during the night if I have a drink before bed. But when I can't get back to sleep it's usually because my thoughts kick into overdrive. I have observed that when the alarm/radio goes off for DW to get up, it puts me to sleep! I believe it is because I begin to passively listen to the morning news instead of grinding out some mental problem. The clock goes off after an hour, and sometimes that awakens me. Weird.
Old 11-23-2012, 04:22 PM   #31
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Option 3 for me. I used to sleep very well, I'd put my head on the pillow and I'd be asleep in less than a minute. I'd wake up and feel great. That was for decade, most of my life really.

In the past 2 years my prostate has decided that I no longer should sleep uninterrupted. If I wake just once a night I consider that a really good night. Typically I wake up 2 times and sometimes 3 times. This is not restful sleep. I sometimes sleep through the night but it is rare.

I don't take naps so I'm up all day but come 7-8 pm it is hard to stay awake. I don't want to go to bed at 8 but if I doze off for an hour or 90 minutes then I can be up to midnight or 1 am.

I miss just going to bed and waking up feeling great.
veremchuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 05:08 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Looking at the poll results thus far, with only 70 data points:

About 64% of retirees claim satisfactory or perfect sleep (so far).
Only about 33% of non-retirees claim satisfactory or perfect sleep (so far).

Not only that, of that subset claiming satisfactory or perfect sleep:
24% of retired claim perfect sleep (so far)
14% of non-retired claim perfect sleep (so far).

Quite a few of those responding do not get enough high quality sleep.

Interesting!
Maybe you should have asked if people slept better in retirement then pre-retirement. Other factors come into this, a few that come to mind:
1) I've heard that older people tend to need less sleep. So they may think they sleep less soundly when they wake up "too early".
2) Physical factors may come into play e.g. retiree moves to area with more allergens causing some loss of sleep. In my case I have a deviated septum caused by an old football injury which interacts with allergy issues.
3) Life changes can cause worry and loss of sleep. Happens in retirement too if there are health issues for instance.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 05:42 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
Maybe you should have asked if people slept better in retirement then pre-retirement. Other factors come into this, a few that come to mind:
"Other factors" include work-related crisis calls at all hours of the night, and... parenting. Neither of which I have to do any more in ER.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

Old 11-23-2012, 10:45 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
"Other factors" include work-related crisis calls at all hours of the night, and... parenting. Neither of which I have to do any more in ER.
Maybe you are misinterpreting my comment, or perhaps just inserting yours?

I'm not saying it's worse in retirement and I think the poll comments are fun to read. Personally I slept best before DS reached the teen years . Now that he is grown up there are other factors in life that seem to disturb my sleep. Things like the 2008 financial meltdown, paying for DS's college, moles in the garden (just kidding). But in general I'm much happier in retirement.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:34 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
Maybe you are misinterpreting my comment, or perhaps just inserting yours?
I'm not saying it's worse in retirement and I think the poll comments are fun to read. Personally I slept best before DS reached the teen years . Now that he is grown up there are other factors in life that seem to disturb my sleep. Things like the 2008 financial meltdown, paying for DS's college, moles in the garden (just kidding). But in general I'm much happier in retirement.
I could have numbered them as (4) and (5). It's hard to tease out whether a change in sleep is due to ER or caused by some other issue.

Our daughter didn't reliably sleep through the night until she was in middle school, and most of her first five years was either a series of three-hour naps or (on the rare night when she slept through) me waking up at 2 AM in a panic wondering why she didn't wake us up. So by the time she was a full-rebel teenager, we were thoroughly combat-hardened.

Luckily our daughter's driver's license came with a state-imposed curfew. Once she started college and we threw away the parenting rule book, somehow I was able to decide that her comings & goings were no longer my concern and relax into sleeping through them. So I think the transition to "empty nester" was much better for my sleep than the transition to ER.

But I still sleep with earplugs more nights than not, or else I'm up at 2-3 AM.

Old 11-24-2012, 08:47 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post

Life is good!
I look forward to adopting that mindset in retirement!
Old 11-25-2012, 02:37 PM   #37
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Not retired yet and this is one area I could use improvement. While I virtually live on the road my sleep is inconsistant. Hotels and varying hours play a part in this. This is one reason why I'll probably retire even though I like my job.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:47 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Before RE: 4-5 hours sleep, sometimes up all night; horribly jet lagged most of the time too.
After RE: 7-9 hours sleep (sometimes 10!), wake up refreshed and rested. Plus a half hour nap most days!!
Old 11-26-2012, 07:09 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

I'm retired and sleep like a baby. DW is always amazed as to how quickly I fall asleep (she and others think its a guy thing). I find that I am a bit more of a night owl now that I am retired. Usually go to be between 11pm-1am and wake up between 7-9am so 8+ hours of sleep each night on average.

I rarely take naps, but enjoy them when I do but I do find it hard to get going again.

I occasionally wake up at night and can't get back to sleep and get up and read or surf on the internet for a while and then go back to bed.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:00 AM   #40

Definitely sleep better now than when I was w*rking, although still occasionally wake up and have trouble getting back to sleep around 4 am, usually because I am too hot (DH needs the bedroom much warmer than I prefer for good sleeping). Thinking / dreaming about w*rk was always a problem back in the day, no more!
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote