Average increase 11% to 20% and good experience with claim payments 13 30.95%
Average increase 11% to 20% and bad experience with claim payments 2 4.76%
Average increase 21% or more and no experience with claim payments 3 7.14%
Average increase 21% or more and good experience with claim payments 1 2.38%
Average increase 21% or more and bad experience with claim payments 0 0%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-05-2011, 12:02 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I keep thinking there has to be a stop to these increases also, but they have been going this way for the last 10 years. as I said earlier in this article, I don't see where obama's plan is going to do anything put make the prices higher. does anyone see anything in obama's plan that goes toward reducing premiums? the only thing that I can see to make things better is to stop giving free insurance to government and corporate people, that would make the market more competitive, like the auto insurance.
frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2011, 09:02 PM   #22

Curiously, I see plans from ehealthinsurance.com that are lower than what I'm paying (same company, with a lower deductible). My plan must be in the "drive everyone out" phase.
eridanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 09:36 PM   #23

Not certain how to vote. I change plans every 2 years or so because the premiums keep going up. At one point my premium for my college age daughter and myself was going to be over $700. I think that was 4 years ago or so. That's when I started increasing deductibles and/or going thru underwriting to jump to another plan. Currently I am insuring just myself, am age 55 on Anthem Premier and pay $323 a month with a $3500 deductible. ...which is about where I was for the "two" or us 7 years ago with a $500 or $750 deductible. I'm o.k with the premium but not o.k with the deductible.

I certainly do not go to the doctor like I used to either...but is a result of these high premiums and high deductibles.
sheehs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 10:55 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eridanus View Post
Curiously, I see plans from ehealthinsurance.com that are lower than what I'm paying (same company, with a lower deductible). My plan must be in the "drive everyone out" phase.
You could have a higher risk class than the preferred rates you see on ehealth or the policy you have could be filed under an old plan number since it's grandfathered, while the new plans have to comply with the laws. Grandfathered plans will probably have big rate increases in the future because there are no new people entering into the pool.
Disclaimer - I am an independent insurance agent. If the above message contains insurance-related content, it is NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient depending on specific circumstances. Don't rely on it for any purpose. I do encourage you to consult an independent agent for insurance-related advice if you have a question that is specific in nature.
dgoldenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:21 PM   #25

It will be interesting to see how premiums for state "high risk" & federal insurance exchanges will compare in 2014. Assuming no significant improvements in this area.
ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:51 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgoldenz View Post
You could have a higher risk class than the preferred rates you see on ehealth or the policy you have could be filed under an old plan number since it's grandfathered, while the new plans have to comply with the laws. Grandfathered plans will probably have big rate increases in the future because there are no new people entering into the pool.

I appreciate this info as I just got my annual 12% increase. Three out of four years the same. I changed to a higher deductible last year to lower the monthly rate so my plan is not grandfathered. I called the company yesterday as they sent a letter saying I could change back to the old grandfathered plan if I wanted. In talking with them they suggested I stay on the new policy as it has many more benefits than the old due to the law requirements. With that I was very happy as the rate increase was the standard but I actually got better benefits like expanded preventive care, no life time maximums, etc. I am liking the changes so far as they apply to our situation.

I did wonder if I should change back but the above quoted advice makes sense so I will just stay with the new plan and better benefits.