Average increase 21% or more and no experience with claim payments 3 7.14%
Average increase 21% or more and good experience with claim payments 1 2.38%
Average increase 21% or more and bad experience with claim payments 0 0%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Poll on Health Ins premium increase and payment experiences
Old 03-04-2011, 02:56 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Poll on Health Ins premium increase and payment experiences

For those of us that have managed to get individual Health Ins I am curious as to the premium increases you have seen each year and what your experience has been with getting payment if you go above your deductible in costs.

We have had our policy for four years and the increase has been 12% every year but last year when it was 25%. This years came in and was 12% again. It is an old policy not subject to the new law so the new law is not a factor in the 25% increase. No one on the policy passed a rate ban last year either.

In the last four years we have never met our deductible so we have no experience with dealing with the Ins co for major costs or hospitalization yet.

This is not a scientific poll and is just an attempt to get over all experiences in the Individual market.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2011, 03:05 PM   #2

Your own personal claims experience has nothing to do with your rate increases. I had one client last year rack up about $80k in claims and they didn't get any rate increase this year.
Disclaimer - I am an independent insurance agent. If the above message contains insurance-related content, it is NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient depending on specific circumstances. Don't rely on it for any purpose. I do encourage you to consult an independent agent for insurance-related advice if you have a question that is specific in nature.
dgoldenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 03:10 PM   #3

Boy that was fast. You replied in less than one minute of my hitting the enter key! Impressive. I cannot type that fast.

I realize that claim experience is not suppose to effect the premium and that is not what I was trying to measure with the limited poll options. It is two questions in one. What is your premium increase average and what is your experience with claims. These are to the two biggest areas of concern for me and also the biggest areas for FUD in the market. Hopefully this will get some good actual information and not be pulled down into politics.
Old 03-04-2011, 03:24 PM   #4

Understandable....and looking at the post times, it was about 10 minutes after. I am fast though.
Disclaimer - I am an independent insurance agent. If the above message contains insurance-related content, it is NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient depending on specific circumstances. Don't rely on it for any purpose. I do encourage you to consult an independent agent for insurance-related advice if you have a question that is specific in nature.
Old 03-04-2011, 04:06 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Our health ins went up about 15% this year. We are lucky that we only pay 10% of the total cost.
Old 03-04-2011, 04:24 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I would like to vote but there is no icon to vote for a 15% decrease in premium. I have had no claims while on plan.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 04:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan
I would like to vote but there is no icon to vote for a 15% decrease in premium. I have had no claims while on plan.
You can vote...you would pick bucket #1.
Dimsumkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 04:37 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimsumkid View Post
You can vote...you would pick bucket #1.
Ok.. you busted me for bragging. I'm sure it will be my turn to complain about rate increases the next time!
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 05:05 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

As our HSA policy is with an annual deductible of $10K, we do not expect to make any claim, and of course hope to keep it that way.

No chronic conditions, no periodic visits to the family doctor, no nuthin'.

Yet, our last increase was for 17.6%.

At this rate, we will be paying a premium of $30K per year before we can get Medicare. And who knows what annual deductible it would be. Maybe $75K/year?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 06:03 PM   #10

Over four years, my premium has literally doubled. However, the rate increases didn't happen smoothly - when I turned 50, I jumped into a different age/rate bracket and saw about half of that increase in one year. I'm just hoping things settle down for a while before I hit another bracket.

I have had no claim experiences.
ksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 06:56 PM   #11

By the way, United Health One (individual market part of United Healthcare) just announced a 10% rate reduction in Virginia and 5% in some other states. This tells me two things:

1. They were getting slaughtered by Anthem BCBS on rates here in VA
2. Health agents have stopped selling health and moved on to other fields because of commission cuts. Less business = reduce price to sell more policies.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:57 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksr View Post
Over four years, my premium has literally doubled. However, the rate increases didn't happen smoothly - when I turned 50, I jumped into a different age/rate bracket and saw about half of that increase in one year. I'm just hoping things settle down for a while before I hit another bracket.

I have had no claim experiences.
Someone that applied through me for a policy today had a group plan that was $1200/month for just himself at age 59. At age 60, the premium went up to $3400/month....for one person. The family rate for a 60+ year old on that policy was $7400/month. I'd like to meet the people paying $7400/month for health insurance.
Old 03-05-2011, 07:31 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgoldenz View Post
Someone that applied through me for a policy today had a group plan that was $1200/month for just himself at age 59. At age 60, the premium went up to $3400/month....for one person. The family rate for a 60+ year old on that policy was $7400/month. I'd like to meet the people paying $7400/month for health insurance.

Do you think these people, and others, have decided to self-insure as an alternative? Just curious......I don't mean to detour the thread away from the intent of the OP's survey.
Old 03-05-2011, 07:35 AM   #14

I thought the new health care plan by obama was supposed to help the average guy. I have not seen or heard of any component of the new plan that will decrease my bill but will more than likely increase the premium because of the inability to deny people with pre-existing conditions. anyone hear of anything that will reduce the premiums coming from the new health care initiative? I have lots of claim experience and dw has had heart surgery, arithmia implant, etc. no problem with claims once the deductible was met. I can't imagine paying 3400 a month much less 7400. I don't know how people are paying these rates. If this comment is in the wrong area, I'm sorry but just wanted to say something.
frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 07:39 AM   #15

I think that when it comes to 3400 a month I would seriously consider self-insured. what good is retirement if all your money goes to the insurance industry. I would pay my own medical bills, go broke and then go on some form of federal insurance for the indigent.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:57 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank View Post
I think that when it comes to 3400 a month I would seriously consider self-insured. what good is retirement if all your money goes to the insurance industry. I would pay my own medical bills, go broke and then go on some form of federal insurance for the indigent.
I'd do the same. Unless you are getting cancer treatments for $100k+ per year already, who in their right mind would drop $40k/year on health insurance? I believe $3400/month is the "we want you off our plan" rate.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:06 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

My premium has barely gone up in the past 2 years, but it jumped 3 years ago by 20%+. Most likely reason it went up is I changed "Age Bracket" (ie now over 55 yrs of age) -- you might want to check with your ins company to see if that is what happened. Rates vary based on participant's age & since we are getting older, sometimes we move up into a higher rate bracket.
Just a thought.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:44 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

I just bought individual health insurance last year and my policy went up 10% at the new year. when I bought the policy, my insurance company told me that I could move to a lesser plan without going through underwriting again - and that's what I'll do if I see the kinds of increases you all are seeing. Hoping I remain as healthy and can live with a higher deductible and less coverage for day to day stuff.
bikeknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 11:13 AM   #19

remember that you can always lower your coverage, but if there is a problem and you want to increase coverage you will have to go through underwriting again. my insurance company raised my rates by approx. 14% with a 1600 deductible, and told me that I could save 14.5% by going to a 2600 deductible. If I go to the 2600 then I am stuck with it. they will increase my rates anyway but this way once I pay the 1600 deductible I am done except for premiums. They want you to have the high deductible, and not hit it every year so they have to do no claims, just collect premiums.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:42 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I bought an individual HI policy in January of 2009. In 2010 it went up 20%. In 2011 it went up 25% so that is a 50% increase from 2009. I am paying nearly $700 a month for one person. I am 47 and healthy (no claims). At this pace (+20% per year) I will be paying over $50,000 a year in 10 years, with 8 more to go before I can become eligible for Medicare. Obamacare or some substitute better stop this.

I could not find any high-deductible plans here in New York. I found my plan through ehealthinsurance.com which was a good deal when I was paying $469 a month in 2009.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote