Yoga or aerobics 16 11.68%
Bicycling 37 27.01%
12 oz curls is my limit! 4 2.92%
None, exercise is for others to do! 6 4.38%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-06-2015, 05:35 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Uh, you left out swimming and tennis.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2015, 05:36 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjquantz View Post
I know what you mean about the frustrations of bad golf. I finally broke down and decided to take a series of lessons this off-season. It is somewhat sad how much my enjoyment of the game decreases when the handicap is around 10 as opposed to around 5. This year will be different!
I broke down, too, after 5 years of playing golf and believing I can improve on my own. I took my 1st 1 on 1 lesson (the initial group clinic 5 years ago does not count as lesson) a week ago and decided not to delay doing regular workout/exercise until ER. Oh, well, that's one good thing that came out of this - scratching off one item on my ER to do list.

Fore!
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 05:37 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon View Post
I bicycle ~90 miles/week, jog ~15 miles/week during summer. A bit less during winter.
Wow...I'm impressed!

As for me...still hangin' in there doing low impact aerobics five days a week (30 minutes each session) and weight lifting three days a week (30 minutes each session).

I've lost weight, toned up and feel better than I have in years. It's become a habit...just doesn't feel right if I don't get my exercise.
Old 01-06-2015, 05:59 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

I think exercise has to be reasonably accessible, and either fun or at least capable of being buried in other enjoyable activities.

Sometimes I shoot for one, sometimes the other. In winter I depend mostly on rowing my Concept2. In and of itself it is only moderately interesting, but I am able to listen to very interesting podcasts while I row. Right now I am listening to series on WW 1 and the world before the breakout of war, and also afterward. Huge changes. Essentially, we came out of WW1 and were thrown into the modern world.

Ha
Old 01-06-2015, 06:45 PM   #25

Guess I'm addicted to exercise. Biking (20+mph), running (inc a few marathons), swimming, triathlon (inc an ironman). Plan to keep it up as long as the body holds out. Even tho one of my older doc's told me I "need to get slower friends".

Exercise= The most UNDERused antidepressant.
Food= The most abused substance.
ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 06:56 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I do not have the discipline to join and go to a gym, so I exercise at home to music (dance-ercise with barbells for aerobic plus very basic ballet moves for leg and buttock toning as well as upper body mobility) OR
watch cartoons (mini-stepper, fitness ball, and resistance band).

I enjoy dancing more, so that happens at least once a day, if not more. I haven't returned to the stepper/ball/band yet. My upper body and one knee is bothering me lately, so I have to go easy.

I do a lot of around-the-house light duty exercise instead of being a couch potato. Always moving...

I wish I could play racquet sports, but I have to give that up years ago when I went through a very serious bout of RSI from too much computer w*rk. I can do some things involving the wrists and upper body, but I have to be very careful not to put myself back in the repetitive injury zone.

I was an ace at racquetball back in the day. Sigh...
Old 01-06-2015, 07:51 PM   #27

I run 3-5 times per week for a total of 15-20 miles. I cycle (outside when the weather allows, spin class this time of year) once a week. Yoga 2-3 times per week. I used to run more, but my commute time increased from 30 minutes a day to ~2 hours a day when my workplace relocated a year ago. Something had to give.

When I ER later this year I plan to do more running and add some strength training. I hope to get more miles on my bike just using the bike to run errands and to go to the gym. I'm also trying to convince DH to take swimming lessons with me. I think it would be good for his arthritic hip/allow him aerobic exercise without pain (and if I can learn to swim properly I can try a triathlon).

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 09:01 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

- shovel snow
- split logs
- shovel more snow
- push cars out of snow
- shovel even more snow
- split a few more logs
- shovel more snow
- salvage a few dead trees
- shovel more f..ing snow
- split more f..ing logs

Enjoy the gym
Old 01-06-2015, 09:17 PM   #29

Thanks for the answers, I figured there was a pretty high amount of activity. From my time here I know many do have some regular exercise planned in their day. It is nice to see and read the variety. I am impressed with the total miles or time many of you put in.

As for the poll being not all the possible activities, I had to set some limits and cutoff values. Plus I don't have all the answers doing it initially reasonable guess. Of course it is not scientific, and I allowed multiple answers so it does not total 100% as I anticipate many do different exercise activities each week. It is just for fun, lighten up to those taking it too seriously. Maybe those doing the complaining need to exercise more

Maybe I should modify the poll to allow:
11) Jumping to conclusions
12) Flying off the handle
13) Arguing on the internet
14) .........

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 12:22 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

1.5 to 2 hours of cardio and weights 5 days a week...I'm determined to see what my fitness ceiling is in my early 40's.
Old 01-07-2015, 05:04 AM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

I love working out and desire to spend more time doing so was one of my reasons for ER. I attend the gym ~5 times/week (Less in the summer when I can run/bike outdoors). In addition to weightlifting and cardio, I have taken up yoga and spinning classes in retirement.
truenorth418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 05:11 AM   #32

Didn't respond to the poll. Sit-ups and lifting weights at home 5-6 days a week.
panacea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 05:12 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Good for you! To be able to do these kinds of things, when necessary, is among the reasons Mr. A and I hit the gym. If we didn't stay in shape, we could end up helpless.

Many (if not most) people assume that someone who works out and stays in shape, does so for vanity. We do it for independence.

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_Head View Post
- shovel snow
- split logs
- shovel more snow
- push cars out of snow
- shovel even more snow
- split a few more logs
- shovel more snow
- salvage a few dead trees
- shovel more f..ing snow
- split more f..ing logs

Enjoy the gym
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 06:31 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

When the weather is OK DW and I ride bikes regularly - generally 20-30 mile rides several times a week. I also go to a gym for weights twice a week following the guidelines for brief, high intensity exercises laid out in Body by Science. (The book actually recommends once a week but I know I don't push as hard as really required so I go twice.) When the weather gets bad like now I try to get a couple of days in on an exercise bike at the gym. Since that it not fun I go for 30 minutes of intermittent all out sprints to try to get the maximum benefit with the least investment in time.
Old 01-07-2015, 06:38 AM   #35

I walk every day, my goal is 17,5 miles or just over 300 minutes per week or about 45 minutes a day. I do it on a treadmill, don't have to worry about weather and try to walk 30 minutes each morning and 15 minutes every late afternoon. I probably burn 250, 300 calories per day.....helps me keep the extra weight off.
jerome len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 07:23 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
... and the world before the breakout of war, and also afterward. Huge changes. Essentially, we came out of WW1 and were thrown into the modern world.
This Week in World War I, January 3-9, 1915Â*|Â*Joseph V. Micallef

For sure.

Quote:
Women, for the first time, joined the industrial labor force in unprecedented numbers. Their role was to replace the men fighting on the front lines, and to maintain the production of the stream of war materials needed by the troops. Having done their part to win the war, the women's suffrage movement would take on a new strength and purpose that would ultimately result in the granting of women's suffrage in most of the developed world.

Great Britain and France would draw heavily on their colonial subjects for manpower during the war. French colonial regiments fought at Verdun, and in every major French engagement on the Western Front. Empire troops, and especially the Indian Army, saw service from the trenches of Flanders to the deserts of Persia and Mesopotamia. Having watched their comrades die in defense of European liberty, those colonial soldiers would invariably pose the question, "what of our own liberty?" A question made all the more pressing when Woodrow Wilson would declare, in his Fourteen Points, "a people's right to self-determination."
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 07:28 AM   #37
Gone but not forgotten

I swim three times a week for 45 Minutes to an hour . I also use arm weights several times a week.
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 08:29 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
..."a people's right to self-determination"...
To quote one Jock Ewing: "Nobody gives you power. Real power is something you take..."

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 09:21 AM   #39

This site is full of well to do folks who are healthy. It should have its own dating site and charge premium.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 09:31 AM   #40

Weight training 4-5 days a week, and cardio 6-7 days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I think exercise has to be reasonably accessible, and either fun or at least capable of being buried in other enjoyable activities.

Sometimes I shoot for one, sometimes the other. In winter I depend mostly on rowing my Concept2. In and of itself it is only moderately interesting, but I am able to listen to very interesting podcasts while I row. Right now I am listening to series on WW 1 and the world before the breakout of war, and also afterward. Huge changes. Essentially, we came out of WW1 and were thrown into the modern world.
Sounds like Dan Carlin's Hardcore History.

My headphones are a permanent part of my training. My cardio is low-intensity steady-state, so I usually listen to podcasts because it takes my mind off it a bit and helps me keep the intensity down. But when I lift weights I need something hard to keep the intensity up. Usually old-school rap or industrial metal. I find that it helps me focus on my form and the intensity much better without focusing on what I'm listening to.

I think the way to get the most out of training is to workout with other people. I have a regular training partner and we've been together for over 2 years now. We also occasionally train with small groups of other people. It keeps it interesting, helps with motivation, and you're always being challenged with new ideas and exercises.