Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Do you have a LCHF diet as a lifestyle?
Yes 46 35.94%
No 40 31.25%
Sometimes (On and Off) 42 32.81%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-24-2019, 11:27 AM   #21
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I lost 53 pounds in 47 weeks last year, and lowered my blood sugar drastically, and corrected all my other lab test results. What worked for me was eating an average of 1400 calories and 120 carbs per day, averaged over the entire 47 weeks. Of course, both my daily calories and daily carbs started out higher and had to be decreased as I lost weight to continue having the same results. So, I was eating closer to 1250 calories and 105 carbs per day eventually.

But I don't think this qualifies as LCHF since it is neither low carb nor high fiber. It is just what works for me. I ate a lot of steak and hardly ate any fruits or veggies (other than small side salads for lunch nearly every day), which I know is not considered to be very smart even though I did take a multivitamin every day. Salt has zero effect on my BP and is not a problem for me in any way as long as I keep the carbs and calories low.

I have been maintaining my weight loss for several months since I needed a break, but I intend to lose a bit more later on this year since I am not close to any reasonable goal weight yet.
Great job! I went the hardcore way (20g or less carb per day) and I think that's why the weight loss was so rapid. I lost the 40lbs in 6-8 months. The last 9 months or so has just been maintaining it, and I have increased carbs. Not really tracking the amount any more, but still not eating pasta or breads of any kind. Ok, not 100% true, there is a restaurant nearby that has incredible biscuits before dinner, i will sneak 1 or 2 of those when I go...
Tiger8693 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2019, 11:39 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I really only have about 10 to 15 pounds to lose, so I’m expecting weight loss to be slow past the initial water weight drop.

I’m pretty much targeting the lipid numbers. And those few extra pounds have crept up around my middle since menopause and need to go!
Old 05-24-2019, 11:51 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I’m pretty sure LCHF = low carb, high FAT.
+1 I never heard it used with Fiber substituted for Fat like that. High fiber can even imply added carbs, to my way of thinking.
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 11:59 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger8693 View Post
Great job! I went the hardcore way (20g or less carb per day) and I think that's why the weight loss was so rapid. I lost the 40lbs in 6-8 months. The last 9 months or so has just been maintaining it, and I have increased carbs. Not really tracking the amount any more, but still not eating pasta or breads of any kind. Ok, not 100% true, there is a restaurant nearby that has incredible biscuits before dinner, i will sneak 1 or 2 of those when I go...
Thank you! I am in awe of your 20g or less of carbs/day, and I think you are a tower of strength to be able to do that. Congratulations on losing 40 pounds in 6-8 months! That is amazing and terrific and such a great feeling, I know. I am maintaining in about the same way as you, although I continue to track both carbs and calories. I didn't eat bread at all while losing weight. In maintenance I have bread maybe once a month at our restaurant. The day before yesterday I ordered a sandwich on focaccia bread for example. It was divine. But I hadn't done that for a month, and usually tell them to omit the bread and put everything on a bed of greens.
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 12:12 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbee View Post
I can't accurately answer the poll without knowing your definition of low carb, high fiber.
Low Carb High Fat is OK too. Just a slightly different take. Maybe a Mod can add /fat to the poll and title of the thread.
Old 05-24-2019, 12:16 PM   #26
Dryer sheet aficionado

I missed the “Fiber” part of your LCHF. I’ve only seen it to mean Fat. That’s what you need to increase IMO to help with volume/boredom issue. Fat is what makes it work. I try for less than 20 grams of net carbs, moderate protein and the rest of my daily needs are fat. Totally different than the medical, food industry and big Pharma would have you believe but it works for me. I recommend you watch a documentary called “The Magic Pill” on Netflix if you have it.
Old 05-24-2019, 12:24 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Sometimes for me. I usually eat a high fiber cereal almost every day, but we eat out 3 days a week and that is certainly not LCHF.
Old 05-24-2019, 12:33 PM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I don't do LCHF, but when I need to lose a few pounds I do a lower net carb, higher fat diet. By lower net carb, I mean an average of 110 g per day. Nowhere close to 20 g per day.
N02L84ER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 12:42 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I’m pretty sure LCHF = low carb, high FAT. I’m pretty sure that is the utmost common use for that acronym. It’s hard to do a low carb high fiber diet when you eat no grains and carbs are so limited.
Right. I've never heard the last letter in LCHF to mean "fiber." "LCHF" has always designated "low carb, high fat" -- at least in the circles I travel. I've never even heard of a low carb, high fiber diet.

I think the benefits of fiber are greatly exaggerated and the risks minimized. Here's one example:
https://chriskresser.com/myths-and-truths-about-fiber/

I do eat a low carb, high fat diet. For a while, I ate a zero carb, high fat diet (carnivore). I had a lot of great results, including 40 pound weight loss without any effort or restriction in eating, big improvements in HDL/triglyceride, increases in mood and energy, and clearing up of other minor ailments and digestive issues.

I've started to include some low-carb veggies lately, but I'm still low carb, high fat. I don't see myself going back. The literature seems too clear to me, and my personal results have been very convincing.
ER Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 01:26 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger8693 View Post
I have been on LCHF (F = Fat) for 1.5 years now due to A1C levels and wanting to avoid Metformin. I lost over 40lbs (now 148 on avg) and A1C is good. Side benefit is that even with the high Fat, I have also stopped Cholesterol meds, and Triglycerides lowest since I have been tested. Don't know if it works for everyone, but has for me.

As far as being hungy from low carb, what I have reseached and read is that the high fat part of the LCHF lifestyle is what keeps you from feeling hungy. I am talking a 5% - 25% - 70% ration of Carbs, Protein and Fat.
Interesting that you want to avoid Metformin. Listening to the Peter Attia podcast he was saying that many people are now trying to get that prescription for life longevity reasons.

https://futurism.com/metformin-diabe...life-extension
bmcgonig is offline   Reply With Quote
Poll:Those who follow a LCHF (Low Carb High Fiber) Diet, What do you eat?
Old 05-24-2019, 03:04 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Poll:Those who follow a LCHF (Low Carb High Fiber) Diet, What do you eat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER Eddie View Post
I think the benefits of fiber are greatly exaggerated and the risks minimized. Here's one example:
https://chriskresser.com/myths-and-truths-about-fiber/
I'm not sure about your comment on fiber. It may be true, but one thing I have learned is that the 'experts' often disagree, and also change their minds, often at the drop of an embarrassing hat.

IMHO, the problems arise because of the need to artificially 'juice' a product with the miracle ingredient of the day. Fiber in food is good, so add fiber from various sources to everything. The same thing is true with reservatrol (sp?), Omega-3's, and all sorts of minerals. Just pile them up to unnatural levels in various foods. After all, what could possibly go wrong?

The best way to get more fiber is to eat an extra helping of a mostly unprocessed food that naturally contains more fiber. Anybody for a pear or some nuts?

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 03:45 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

If one is doing low carb and still hungry, they are probably not getting enough fat. Fat is what keeps you satiated.

I lost 35 lbs doing keto with IF (16/8) and my DH lost 60 lbs doing keto and OMAD.

Our dinners usually consist of steak, lamb, pork, or chicken with one or two sides of cauliflower, asparagus, green beans, broccoli, cabbage, or salad. Dessert is usually berries and cheese. I usually have eggs or leftovers for lunch and snacks of cheese or nuts. We try to only eat minimally-processed foods.
RetiringAt55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 04:23 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

I think it’s kind of pointless to try to do a very low carb diet and cut the fat. You’ll just end up eating way more protein which itself, if in excess, converts to glucose generating an insulin response, or go hungry.

If you are trying to reduce saturated fat intake, then up the avocados, olives, use plenty of mayo from good fats, olive oil, avocado oil, the lower carb nuts.
Old 05-24-2019, 04:25 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

I think my issue is not enough fat as noted. Maybe loosen up on the fiber and add some fat.
Old 05-24-2019, 04:32 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
I think my issue is not enough fat as noted. Maybe loosen up on the fiber and add some fat.
Loosen up ..good choice of words..
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 04:58 PM   #36

Quote:
Yep, I think that may be the issue with your hunger. Don't be afraid of fat, but be sure you eat the RIGHT fats........things like butter, olive oil, coconut oil, beef tallow, avocados. Avoid the wrong fats (like the heavily processed seed oils.....corn oil, vegetable oil, canola oil, etc) like the plague, as they promote disease. And try to avoid most things made from flour and especially baked goods loaded with sugar whenever possible, as that stuff will put on the pounds fast (as will sugary drinks like soda and fruit juice). Stick with whole, unprocessed (or at least minimally processed) foods whenever possible.

I would describe my diet as basically moderate carb/high fat/moderate protein. If I go too "low carb", I can't maintain my weight, and I don't need to lose any weight. On a typical day, my diet looks something like this:

Breakfast - 3 eggs (scrambled), with garden greens and some kind of protein (leftover meat from dinner the day before, usually). Sometimes I add some cheese also.

Lunch - stir fry, with some kind of veggies (again, usually leftovers), some kind of protein (beef, chicken venison, lamb), served over a little bit of rice. I use olive oil or coconut oil for stir-frying.

Dinner - meat or fish, some kind of green veggie, and maybe something like a sweet potato w/ butter (sometimes a regular potato). One glass of red wine.

I don't really limit portion size.........I eat as much as I want of these foods. If I eat like this, my weight stays basically constant from week to week.

This may sound pretty boring, but actually it's not, as we often cook ethnic dishes and things like that to mix things up, but we try to stay within this general framework most of the time. An occasional splurge meal (that is higher carb or with a sweet dessert, etc) is not going to hurt you, as long as you stick to your basic plan most of the time. Anyway, it works for me.........YMMV.
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 05:11 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I'm not sure about your comment on fiber. It may be true, but one thing I have learned is that the 'experts' often disagree, and also change their minds, often at the drop of an embarrassing hat.
Well, that's part of what I'm referencing. The "expert opinion" in this area for the past few decades is that fiber is wonderful and we should all eat lots of fiber. Turns out that's not true, just like so many other things the "experts" have told us for the past few decades have not been true (e.g., re. saturated fat, cholesterol, meat, plant-based diets, salt, whole grains, etc.).

I do agree that, if you're someone who wants to eat lots of fiber, you should get it from natural foods, not supplements. Eat some good veggies; don't sprinkle cardboard on your cereal. ;p
ER Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 08:46 PM   #38

Quote:
Low Carb High Fat is OK too. Just a slightly different take. Maybe a Mod can add /fat to the poll and title of the thread.

I meant what proportion, or how many grams per day. Without that, there isn't any information.
jimbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 03:47 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Lot of fruit, whole grains, cheese, eggs, meat.
Old 05-25-2019, 03:55 AM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrencewendall View Post
Last night I cooked up some ground venison, spiced with basil, parsley, onion and garlic powder, worchishire sauce, sarachi, cinnamon and parmesan cheese. After it was cooked, added some riced cauliflower. Sautied for awhile and then added mixed veggies (corn and peas are not the best low carb but they the only carb in the entire meal). Nuc' ed some scrambled eggs and folded it in. Served topped with 4 cheese grated cheese. Thought of adding portabella mushrooms but they are saved for the pork rind or almond flour coated chicken breast served over a bed of roasted spaghetti squash and alfredo sauce.
Ahh, Lawrence, now you just make me hungry. Sound great!