Post 911 WTC exposure zone

jim584672

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Many people who worked downtown in the Financial District after 911 got exposed to the toxic gases from the ruins of the buildings. Personal experience, the smell was like a mix of death, plastic, and metal, real putrid and offensive. The pile didn't stop pluming for like 8 months and neither did the odor. I know lots of people I worked with got cancers, and these are 40 and 50 year olds. The EPA was saying the air is safe, not to worry. I knew that was bunk.

There is a program to provide health cover and monitoring for 911 related conditions.

Exposure zone survivor postcard:
https://www.cdc.gov/wtc/d207/WTCHP-SurvivorOnePage-EN-Print.pdf

Also there is the September 11th Victim Compensation Fund that provides monetary compensation for 911 related injuries.
https://www.vcf.gov/

This story was the other day...
Century 21 workers who fought to reopen store after 9/11 now suffering from Ground Zero illnesses
https://www.nydailynews.com/new-yor...0220306-h32stl4rc5hl7bwi4miij4fxem-story.html

Jim, thanks for posting this. I hope that its not too late for those who were exposed to file claims for health coverage (WTC Health Program) and compensation through the Victims Compensation fund.
I worked downtown in the exposure zone for many years before and after 9/11. I filed my claim almost 2 years ago (thought about it more during Covid) and just in the past month, I received my Certification letter from NOISH that my Asthma condition is deemed to have been caused by working in that area and am now eligible for full health coverage from the program, for life. I also have claims in for two other conditions which my attorney rep says should follow shortly since the first one has now been certified.
Yes, there could be compensation from the VCF in the future but taking care of my health was the first priority. Even though I have good health insurance now, no one knows what the future will bring.
I would encourage anyone to apply for the program if eligible. It does take a while to be certified, but it is worth the time and effort.
Brian

I forgot about this and now it's been 20 years. I had an office right near the WTC but wasn't there that day. But in the months afterwards I would go to the office for a few days a week. It smelled like a burnt electrical fire for months. And now I got heart problems. Who knows though.

You could smell the plume all the way out to Long Island.

I forgot about this and now it's been 20 years. I had an office right near the WTC but wasn't there that day. But in the months afterwards I would go to the office for a few days a week. It smelled like a burnt electrical fire for months. And now I got heart problems. Who knows though.

You could smell the plume all the way out to Long Island.

Hank, I would encourage you to apply. Preserve your rights for lifetime health care and possible compensation. I just received my compensation letter.
Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom