Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-01-2021, 09:21 AM   #81

Mine didn't let me re-apply on healthcare.gov, but I got an email this AM from Florida Blue to call them to update my plan.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2021, 09:56 AM   #82
Recycles dryer sheets

My plan premium dropped $91. I was hoping for a free silver plan but no such luck.
Plantman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 10:42 AM   #83
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I live in PA and we have our own exchange. The exchange website still indicates they are working on updating the system to reflect the savings for new and existing customers. No added details. If I pretend I want new coverage, it still reflects the old pricing. I guess they didn't make an April 1st switchover.

They have not released any details about how or when the added premium assistance amounts will be applied to existing customer's monthly bills.
PaunchyPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 10:51 AM   #84
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaunchyPirate View Post
I live in PA and we have our own exchange. The exchange website still indicates they are working on updating the system to reflect the savings for new and existing customers. No added details. If I pretend I want new coverage, it still reflects the old pricing. I guess they didn't make an April 1st switchover.

They have not released any details about how or when the added premium assistance amounts will be applied to existing customer's monthly bills.
I was hoping Pennie would do this by April 1st. My BC/BS said it could take up to 2 weeks to update their system after Pennie sends them plan changes.

So, I guess I'll pay my April bill, and hope this gets figured out before the May bill. It does lower our copays, so I've been putting off some issues.
RetiredAt55.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 10:59 AM   #85
gone traveling

I just called and found that due to a subsidy increase, my net bill for FL Blue Bronze 1449 will be cut in half.... of. course that is only for one month, as I start Medicare May 1. I presume that the rate will be the same, or at least similar, as my DW has to stay on it until 9/22.
BoodaGazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 01:41 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevink View Post
"Nearly everyone who purchases health insurance under the Affordable Care Act (ACA) Marketplace plans will benefit by the changes enacted as part of the American Rescue Plan Act of 2021. In summary:

Early retirees with an income 100%-150% Federal Poverty Limit (FPL), who already paid little for health insurance premiums, will now pay $0 premiums for Silver Level plans.

Those with incomes from 150%-400% FPL will see substantial reductions in health insurance premium costs.

Those with incomes that exceed 400% FPL will no longer be subject to the ACA “subsidy cliff.” Health insurance premiums costs will be capped at 8.5% of income.

Older early retirees approaching Medicare age will benefit the most because costs rise as we age."

https://www.caniretireyet.com/americ...ly-retirement/

That Kaiser calculator linked to in the Can I Retire Yet? article made my jaw drop. We are 400%+ FPL and the 8.5% cap would itself save us thousands of dollars. Additionally, DW periodically qualifies for UI throughout each year due to her kind of unique, project-based j*b, so I was able to check the UI box. Doing that results in us qualifying for the second lowest silver plan for $0/year (!). Holy moly. You can bet I’ll be chewing on this possibility like a dog with a bone.
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 01:58 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoodaGazelle View Post
I just called and found that due to a subsidy increase, my net bill for FL Blue Bronze 1449 will be cut in half.... of. course that is only for one month, as I start Medicare May 1. I presume that the rate will be the same, or at least similar, as my DW has to stay on it until 9/22.
Nope. Four months. You will get tax credits for Jan, Feb, March, and April.
erkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 02:30 PM   #88
Recycles dryer sheets

Sorry if I missed this earlier in the thread, but how long do these changes last? Just for this year? Or beyond? I'm not seeing this in any links above.

I have not reapplied yet, but I'm already wondering whether my HSA Bronze plan will be undercut by a Silver plan with a lower deductible and OOP. If so, what happens if I already made HSA contributions this year? Would I have to reverse them if I switched to a Silver plan?

This is hypothetical, as I have not yet made any HSA contributions. But I plan to. Wondering if I could max them out now and then switch plans this summer.

I guess I should wait and see how these changes might affect me, but I'm just thinking out loud for now. The main thing I'm wondering is my first question above. Are these temporary or ongoing changes?
Ramen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 03:12 PM   #89

Ramen- The increased subsidies are for calendar years 2021 and 2022. When you switch from a HDHP to a non, your HSA contributions are prorated for the number of months the HDHP covered you. I believe that April is the month that you have to make changes to your HI in order to receive the increased subsidies. If you wait, then the subsidies are reconciled at tax time
Old 04-01-2021, 06:08 PM   #90
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramen View Post
Sorry if I missed this earlier in the thread, but how long do these changes last? Just for this year? Or beyond? I'm not seeing this in any links above.

I have not reapplied yet, but I'm already wondering whether my HSA Bronze plan will be undercut by a Silver plan with a lower deductible and OOP. If so, what happens if I already made HSA contributions this year? Would I have to reverse them if I switched to a Silver plan?

This is hypothetical, as I have not yet made any HSA contributions. But I plan to. Wondering if I could max them out now and then switch plans this summer.

I guess I should wait and see how these changes might affect me, but I'm just thinking out loud for now. The main thing I'm wondering is my first question above. Are these temporary or ongoing changes?
You can make an HSA contribution for any months that you were covered by an HSA qualified plan. Metal level doesn't matter, it's just whether it's an HSA qualified plan. My state's website has a handy feature where you can click a checkbox and it will only show HSA eligible plans. *Most* HSA plans in my state are Bronze, but my state has one Silver one.

It's a monthly thing too - the $3,600 or $7,200 or $8,200 or whatever the number is is the annual number, but qualification is on a monthly basis.

You can make the HSA contributions any time between 1/1/2021 and 4/15/2022 - they don't have to be made *while* you're on the HDHP plan.

You can make HSA contributions ahead of time, but if you end up not being qualified, then you can either withdraw the excess contributions plus attributable earnings (much like an IRA overcontribution), or leave it in and pay a penalty until it carries forward to a time when you didn't max out your HSA contributions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkevin View Post
I believe that April is the month that you have to make changes to your HI in order to receive the increased subsidies. If you wait, then the subsidies are reconciled at tax time
Some states - mine included - require neither changing plans nor taking any other action. The higher subsidies will be calculated and applied automatically starting April-ish. Other states are also doing this.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 06:26 PM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markola View Post
That Kaiser calculator linked to in the Can I Retire Yet? article made my jaw drop. We are 400%+ FPL and the 8.5% cap would itself save us thousands of dollars. Additionally, DW periodically qualifies for UI throughout each year due to her kind of unique, project-based j*b, so I was able to check the UI box. Doing that results in us qualifying for the second lowest silver plan for $0/year (!). Holy moly. You can bet I’ll be chewing on this possibility like a dog with a bone.
Maybe I'm missing something but if your income is over 400% FPL you would have to pay 8.5% of your income towards the second lowest cost silver plan. How do you come up with $0?
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 06:48 PM   #92

Here's the official government fact sheet on these changes:

https://www.cms.gov/newsroom/fact-sh...nhDCaPQBKmfJ58
kevink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 06:58 PM   #93

Quote:

That's a good reference for the changes. Note, though, that article discusses how it'll work (be implemented) by healthcare.gov.

It might work a little different with the state run marketplaces (e.g., maybe you won't have to update your existing application to get the subsidy changes).
RetiredAt55.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 04:10 AM   #94

Quote:

Thank you, this is helpful. What I learned or had confirmed; the change/increase tax credit is effective Jan 1st, premium payments already made will be reconciled on the filing of 2021 taxes, to activate the new tax credit amount I will have to login to the Exchange, choose change of life event but can use the same income projection and choose the same plan, with luck the new adjusted out of pocket premium will be effective 5/1.

They could have sent subscribers a message with the same information easy enough. I am glad I come to this site once awhile I have learned many valuable and useful things, this is another.
Old 04-02-2021, 05:29 AM   #95
Give me a forum ...

Great News (OP) We Only have another 3 years to worry about ACA though, then DW goes on Medicare. I am VERY happy with Medicare and my AARP Supplement. Total Annual Expense $3500 including supplement + Medicare Deductible, a bargain by today's standards.
Old 04-02-2021, 06:40 AM   #96
Give me a forum ...

Is Medicare actually better than a super subsidized silver plan though? Our deductible is something like $400 a year with max OOP of $800 and it looks like a monthly premium of $20?
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Potential major good news on ACA premiums
Old 04-02-2021, 06:50 AM   #97

Potential major good news on ACA premiums

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
Maybe I'm missing something but if your income is over 400% FPL you would have to pay 8.5% of your income towards the second lowest cost silver plan. How do you come up with $0?

I’m suspicious of the results, too, but when I check the box about “Did you qualify for unemployment insurance?” the result is $0 cost. The article Kevink linked above also mentions the UI matter. We’ll see.
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 08:51 AM   #98
Recycles dryer sheets

Just checked the auto pay for April, still charged same amount as past month. I suppose I will get the tax credit for 12 month at the end of year. I don't or could think of any life change event to re-set the health insurance.
Old 04-02-2021, 08:58 AM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
Is Medicare actually better than a super subsidized silver plan though? Our deductible is something like $400 a year with max OOP of $800 and it looks like a monthly premium of $20?
No way, and others that had CSR'd Silver ACA plans that went on Medicare confirmed this. Medicare is much more expensive than a <200% FPL Silver plan, which is basically free for a lot of folks now with low OOP costs as you said.

Of course you get the better nationwide network for Medicare, which can be a big advantage for some.
GTFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 09:23 AM   #100

Eucerin- my premium doesn't do down until May's payment. If you have an account on healthcare.gov and a current 2020 application, go to the site and click on "update/change plans to save"

Tags
aca. health insurance