Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-11-2021, 10:00 AM   #181
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm in the Minnesota exchange, MNSure. I haven't been eligible to apply for assistance since the income is just over the 400% cliff. I received some emails from them telling me I might be eligible and to check their website. I spent a long time on their site and wasn't able to get anywhere.

I made a call this morning and they told me that I had to cancel my current policy effective May 31 and then reapply on their site under the tab "eligible for subsidy" So I did, then I had to call back to confirm it and they had to enter some more information. It took about 1.5 hours. The people were helpful and still learning how to do this. I filled out pages of information online and emailed a copy of my 2020 tax return. They said I'd get a new policy effective June 1st with the new premiums. i'll see how it goes.

As an FYI to anyone who hasn't been eligible for assistance and is now, don't wait for your exchange to do anything for you. Be proactive.
Stormy Kromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2021, 10:30 AM   #182
Full time employment: Posting here.

Question -

We (59/58) have been paying for a high deductible private bronze/HSA plan for a number of years. Both are pretty healthy. Haven't done ACA before because we are over the cliff. We sold a rental property this year so 2021 will see us well over the cliff based on capital gains.

I'm semi-retired and sell 5-6 houses per year as a Realtor so I'm currently able to deduct the full cost of the $1,050/mo health premiums off my taxes as a business expense.

If we switch to an ACA plan for 2022 does that allow me to still deduct the out of pocket premium as a business expense?
Fishingmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 10:40 AM   #183
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevink View Post
"Nearly everyone who purchases health insurance under the Affordable Care Act (ACA) Marketplace plans will benefit by the changes enacted as part of the American Rescue Plan Act of 2021. In summary:

Early retirees with an income 100%-150% Federal Poverty Limit (FPL), who already paid little for health insurance premiums, will now pay $0 premiums for Silver Level plans.

Those with incomes from 150%-400% FPL will see substantial reductions in health insurance premium costs.

Those with incomes that exceed 400% FPL will no longer be subject to the ACA “subsidy cliff.” Health insurance premiums costs will be capped at 8.5% of income.

Older early retirees approaching Medicare age will benefit the most because costs rise as we age."

https://www.caniretireyet.com/americ...ly-retirement/
Thanks for sharing, KevinK!
ZachTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 11:11 AM   #184
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishingmn View Post
Question -

We (59/58) have been paying for a high deductible private bronze/HSA plan for a number of years. Both are pretty healthy. Haven't done ACA before because we are over the cliff. We sold a rental property this year so 2021 will see us well over the cliff based on capital gains.

I'm semi-retired and sell 5-6 houses per year as a Realtor so I'm currently able to deduct the full cost of the $1,050/mo health premiums off my taxes as a business expense.

If we switch to an ACA plan for 2022 does that allow me to still deduct the out of pocket premium as a business expense?
Yes. However, there is an annoying circular loop in the tax laws for people who are self-employed and on ACA insurance. See here for one blog article on the topic:

https://thefinancebuff.com/irs-guida...deduction.html

(There are plenty out there about the issue; google for more.)
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 01:57 PM   #185

Wow, the UI benefit is crazy!

Maryland emailed me this morning about re-applying to adjust my subsidy. Income is well over the old cliff and my current unsubsidized bronze plan is less than 8.5%. Based on that, I had ignored these in the last month or two.

But this email pointed out the unemployment benefit. DW has been unemployed since March 2020 and her employer has since closed the gym where she works.

I went into our exchange told them DW was unemployed, and our $920/mo premium became $6.49! Retroactive! It is raining money as someone said upthread.

I could have chosen a Gold plan for $7.50/month, but the bronze is the only HSA plan on our exchange and I already contributed for 2021, so decided to stick with that.

Also, best I can figure the $6-8/month is for abortion coverage so no actual zero cost plans, in MD anyway.

"All models are wrong, some are useful." - George Box
There is always a well-known solution to every human problem: neat, plausible, and wrong.” - H.L. Mencken
USGrant1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 03:36 PM   #186
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by USGrant1962 View Post
Wow, the UI benefit is crazy!

Maryland emailed me this morning about re-applying to adjust my subsidy. Income is well over the old cliff and my current unsubsidized bronze plan is less than 8.5%. Based on that, I had ignored these in the last month or two.

But this email pointed out the unemployment benefit. DW has been unemployed since March 2020 and her employer has since closed the gym where she works.

I went into our exchange told them DW was unemployed, and our $920/mo premium became $6.49! Retroactive! It is raining money as someone said upthread.

I could have chosen a Gold plan for $7.50/month, but the bronze is the only HSA plan on our exchange and I already contributed for 2021, so decided to stick with that.

Also, best I can figure the $6-8/month is for abortion coverage so no actual zero cost plans, in MD anyway.
Someone can double check me on this, but I think to qualify for this aspect of the ACA changes in the ARPA law, your wife must have received at least one week of unemployment benefits. Merely being unemployed is a necessary but not sufficient criteria to qualify.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
Old 05-12-2021, 07:18 PM   #187
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
Someone can double check me on this, but I think to qualify for this aspect of the ACA changes in the ARPA law, your wife must have received at least one week of unemployment benefits. Merely being unemployed is a necessary but not sufficient criteria to qualify.
Yes, this is the verbage -

"SEC. 9663. APPLICATION OF PREMIUM TAX CREDIT IN CASE OF INDIVIDUALS RECEIVING UNEMPLOYMENT COMPENSATION DURING 2021.
(a) In General.—Section 36B of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 is amended by redesignating subsection (g) as subsection (h) and by inserting after subsection (f) the following new subsection:

“(g) Special Rule For Individuals Who Receive Unemployment Compensation During 2021.—

“(1) IN GENERAL.—For purposes of this section, in the case of a taxpayer who has received, or has been approved to receive, unemployment compensation for any week beginning during 2021, for the taxable year in which such week begins—

“(A) such taxpayer shall be treated as an applicable taxpayer, and

“(B) there shall not be taken into account any household income of the taxpayer in excess of 133 percent of the poverty line for a family of the size involved."

This is from -
https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-...3A56AAEA72EF32

I guess at tax time next year, any unemployment compensation would have to be listed as income, so the IRS could adjust the ACA credits accordingly.
RetiredAt55.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 08:11 PM   #188

Quote:
Yes, she has been on (enhanced) unemployment benefits for over a year and has not been asked to come back to work. Her location closed permanently, but the company has another location in town. Merging two into one, they have plenty of instructors for the limited classes that they can run these days. Gyms are not yet rehiring group fitness instructors.

There is always a well-known solution to every human problem: neat, plausible, and wrong.” - H.L. Mencken
Old 05-12-2021, 08:40 PM   #189
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by USGrant1962 View Post
Yes, she has been on (enhanced) unemployment benefits for over a year and has not been asked to come back to work. Her location closed permanently, but the company has another location in town. Merging two into one, they have plenty of instructors for the limited classes that they can run these days. Gyms are not yet rehiring group fitness instructors.
Sounds like you're OK then. Just didn't want you to face a $914 x 12 repayment issue (subject to repayment cap if you're under 400% FPL and it ends up existing this year) and get surprised.
Old 05-12-2021, 09:03 PM   #190

Quote:
Sounds like you're OK then. Just didn't want you to face a $914 x 12 repayment issue (subject to repayment cap if you're under 400% FPL and it ends up existing this year) and get surprised.
Thanks for reassuring me.

I was kind of shocked when I went through the questionnaire on the MD ACA site and it came out that way. I actually cancelled my application and re-entered everything to make sure it didn't switch monthly for annual income or something. But as RetiredAt55.5 posted, if you qualify:
Quote:
there shall not be taken into account any household income of the taxpayer in excess of 133 percent of the poverty line for a family of the size involved.
So our six-digit consulting+investment+unemployment income is not "taken into account".

Crazy but as DW says, "we're rule followers." So for example, I report consulting income below $600 from a client even though they don't issue a 1099. I pay plenty of taxes and in this case I'm just following the rules Congress promulgated to get a modest tax break for one year.

EDIT - I wonder how tax software is going to handle this next year. I think it will be ugly.

Old 05-12-2021, 10:45 PM   #191
Give me a forum ...

^ Yeah, it's good to double check everything when there's a law like that which is passed and has some people (like you) ending up with surprising results.

The folks on ACA insurance that exceeded the 400% FPL limit last year but then were excused from the APTC repayment were in similar shoes.

Tax software can handle it just fine I think since there is plenty of advance notice on this particular change. It's far more difficult for them when tax laws get changed late in the year or even into the filing season as happened this year, both because there is time pressure to get the change made, tested, and deployed and because it introduces complexity - you have at least four test cases at least to deal with: {affected TP, not affected TP} x {filed already, haven't filed}.
Old 05-13-2021, 07:08 AM   #192

My Pennsylvania-based health insurance company just generated the invoice for my June coverage and it now reflects the increased subsidy that I qualify for due to the new legislation. I called the PA health exchange on May 2nd or so to initiate the update. PA's exchange is supposed to do the updates automatically, but so far they have not notified anyone that they have completed that step, so I'm thinking they may not get it done for the June premiums.

My premium for a Gold HMO policy dropped from $325 to $220 per month. I'll take it.
PaunchyPirate is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aca. health insurance