Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-10-2018, 01:47 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Nothing is perfect, but I've had complete agreement twice between the Walgreens kit and the A1C test done at my annual physical. So I'm willing to trust it.

I will give it another try before my next lab test but when I did it last it was far from perfect. The kit read an A1C of 5.8 when the lab test was 6.5. Big difference
Corporateburnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2018, 01:49 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Absolutely! Never underestimate the benefits of walking. When I was diagnosed, I was about 215 lbs, and over a 3+ month period, I walked 3 miles a day, every day, and dropped to about 175 lbs. After that I also started to go to the gym. So couple that with eating better and you can keep the diabetes boogy man away.

Totally agree too. A little weight loss and healthy eating does wonders for the body. If I were a betting man, I would say type 2 diabetes is 40-60% reversible with weight loss and sensible eating.

2020 or bust!
Or
Perhaps 2021...2022...NVM
Lukeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 01:56 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporateburnout View Post
I will give it another try before my next lab test but when I did it last it was far from perfect. The kit read an A1C of 5.8 when the lab test was 6.5. Big difference
Can't blame you for not trusting the kit with results like that. Mine have always been within plus or minus 0.1 of the lab result. I have another exam coming up next month so I'll be able to compare them again.
Old 09-10-2018, 02:51 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I wondered about that, too. Maybe it means that once diagnosed, you can never again eat the way you used to, or else your blood sugar will go crazy and you'll need medication. No matter how much exercise or good eating you do in the meantime.

I think it is just another side effect of getting older, and gradually wearing out your innards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
What’s the difference between controlled vs cured? My brother in law was diagnosed with diabetes due to stress of a failing business, he was a rich guy before that, now he eats properly, he was a vegetarian who ate a lot of fries and catchup. Now he doesn’t have to take medicine any more. Isn’t that good enough. I’m sure he still have to eat right, no more fries.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 02:53 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I think it is just another side effect of getting older, and gradually wearing out your innards.
Absolutely. And it varies for each person. The same thing with high blood pressure.

But one should do what is possible to delay the inevitable.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 03:05 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Get a 2nd opinion from an endocrinologist - they specialize in diabetes, which is an endocrine disorder. The American Diabetes Association has alot of good public reading material too online. American Diabetes Association®.

Also - see a registered dietician who usually have great advice on diet and exercise.

My A1C was .2 into borderline in 2016 but I cut back carbs, lost 15 lbs and exercise every day (but no usually after a meal), it is now is the normal range. It is most often a life style change that is needed.

FYI- docs (not just MDs) are asked by the insurance carriers to explain "outliers" and A1C results are high on the list.
Octogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 08:22 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Did our biweekly finger-pricking fasting blood test earlier today.

My wife: 84. Me: 98. I guess I can just continue to eat and drink like I have done recently.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 09-11-2018, 08:47 PM   #48

NW-Bound, thanks to you, my husband and I walk immediate after dinner. We do a quick 5 minutes after lunch when we can. I’m hoping that will help in the long run.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 08:59 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Get a blood glucose test kit. We initially did a weekly test, and changed to biweekly when the results got in the good range. I do not want to get complacent.

It is good to have feedback, so that you can see the good results from the diet change and exercise. There is no need to wait for a few months to see a doctor.

Old 09-11-2018, 10:27 PM   #50

I have it, but can’t find it at the moment. When I’m done with my kitchen, I will find it again. I last found it in April/May of 2018.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:38 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Make sure you read the expiration date of the test strips. We were given a kit by my wife's friend who was pre-diabetic. She was very vocal in us using it, but we just put it aside because we were not in danger then.

Two years later, when our annual exam revealed high FBG, we took it out to try. The expired strips gave numbers wildly varying all over the place.

Old 09-11-2018, 10:45 PM   #52

Good to know. I must buy new ones then. These strips are much older than 5 years old. You save me time looking for them.
Old 09-14-2018, 02:25 PM   #53

So I went out today and got a brand new blood glucose monitor and test strips from the Walgreens brand. I’ve glanced quickly, but I want to know, when you actually take this test? Early in the morning before you eat anything or after you have a meal.
Old 09-14-2018, 04:44 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

You want to do it in the morning, before eating anything. The fasting blood glucose level should be below 100 mg/dL.

The postprandial BGL should be 140, 2 hours after a meal. I never do this test. I think it is more for people who are already diabetic, and need to know to adjust their insulin injection.

Old 09-14-2018, 07:10 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
You want to do it in the morning, before eating anything. The fasting blood glucose level should be below 100 mg/dL.

The postprandial BGL should be 140, 2 hours after a meal. I never do this test. I think it is more for people who are already diabetic, and need to know to adjust their insulin injection.
Thanks, I have to read on how to use this thing properly. I’ve just skimmed quickly and I read not to use alcohol to swipe something. I hope to read it tonight and have my first test tomorrow.
But I’m going to have lobster and bake potato, that will screwup the reading for sure. Note that I don’t eat potato often, but it goes with lobster and herbs butter.
Old 09-14-2018, 08:15 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Good luck to you. It's OK. You will get some data to compare with later tests when you have different foods. Initially, we did it once per week, but now it is every 2 weeks.

We used to cringe when thinking of the finger pricking, but it is really painless. We will maintain this biweekly test forever. The test is a lot less problem than having to inject yourself with insulin in the tummy, after you let yourself become diabetic.

Old 09-14-2018, 08:27 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Good luck to you. It's OK. You will get some data to compare with later tests when you have different foods. Initially, we did it once per week, but now it is every 2 weeks.

We used to cringe when thinking of the finger pricking, but it is really painless. We will maintain this biweekly test forever. The test is a lot less problem than having to inject yourself with insulin in the tummy, after you let yourself become diabetic.
Ouch, that doesn’t sound like fun. Is there some pills we can take? What about Metformin?
Old 09-14-2018, 08:41 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

If your fasting blood glucose level stays above 100, I think doctors will prescribe Metformin. Without lifestyle and diet change, it may just slow down the progress of diabetes though.

Old 09-14-2018, 08:45 PM   #59

So what I’ve read so far it says do not share your meter or lancing device, do not use on multiple patients, how do you get around that. Does this mean, I need to get two meters?
Old 09-14-2018, 08:46 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
Ouch, that doesn’t sound like fun. Is there some pills we can take? What about Metformin?

Are you a diabetic? what's your A1C?

Metformin is one of the drugs that's used to lower blood glucose but it's not without side effects. It had a negative effect on my kidneys with proteinuria.
Corporateburnout is offline   Reply With Quote