Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-26-2022, 12:09 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thanks for the link and breakdown fellows! Looks great

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredHappy View Post
My husband is Diabetic Type 2, actually he is Type 1.5 (LADA - you can look it up, autoimmune problem where it attacks his pancreas).

I was pre-diabetic when I first met him 16 years ago and I am now back to normal. I am also gluten intolerant. This is what we eat:
- More salads for lunch. Low carb dressing like Blue Cheese dressing for my husband. I take very little Caesar dressing if I would like some but I usually skip salad dressing.
- Pasta replacement - Edamame noodles https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1
- Bread (1 gm net carb) You can get from Whole Foods and Sprouts. https://www.carbonaut.co/product/gluten-free-loaves/
- Low carb pasta sauce Net 5g carb for 1/2 cup of sauce. https://www.classico.com/product/000...auce-24-oz-jar
- Burger protein style, i.e. no bun with burger
- Peanuts for snacks as they are low in carbs.
- Skinny Pop for snacks, net 7 gm carbs per bag.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Since I have normal blood sugar level, I do eat some rice and potato chips. I also eat pears and peaches in moderation.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2022, 03:31 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Another pre-d here. My blood sugar’s been just under 110 for several years; HbA1c was under the threshold at my last checkup.

I have always exercised regularly, and eat mostly right. Diabetes runs in the family on my mother’s side. My maternal grandfather had it, and my mom and all my aunts have it, so mine’s probably genetic/hereditary.

I’ve made a few dietary changes, e.g., sweet potatoes instead of regular, whole wheat bread and pasta, no more OJ. One thing that’s hard for me to give up is white rice, though we eat quite a bit of brown now. I never had a sweet tooth, though now, ironically, I sometimes crave a bit of chocolate or dessert. I also take Cinsulin, a cinnamon/chromium combo I get at Costco.

I have also (not intentionally) lost weight over the past few years. Thanks for all the suggestions.
Phroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 06:52 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
With your ratios the way you showed them, I would completely ignore your total and LDL cholesterol numbers.

But your glucose and A1C numbers are concerning, so I would certainly cut back on the sugar as much as possible.

I feel for you, as ice cream is also one of my big weaknesses.
Yeah, I agree on the ratios, I just need to get back on the wagon with my intake. I'll be checking again in a few months to keep the doc from wanting to prescribe Metformin...
Surewhitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 08:09 AM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I ended up learning to drink my coffee with no sweeteners.
Same here. It took a few weeks to get used to it but after that it was fine. Artificial sweeteners are not good for you.
Old 09-28-2022, 08:16 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
OP - What was your A1C and what was your fasting blood glucose?

A few years ago I had a higher A1C than I liked (5.9%) although I wasn't diagnosed as pre-diabetic. It did alarm me a bit so I did a lot of reading. I decided to get a glucose monitor and to test before and after meals to see what foods raised my blood sugar and which ones didn't and to see how quick it came down. I did limit my carbs somewhat (although not truly low carb). I found that for me some foods would really spike blood sugar for a considerable time while others didn't.

Here is a thread where I talked about my experiment and what I was doing:

https://www.early-retirement.org/for...-me-75852.html

About 10 months after that post and using my research data for almost a Year I went back was tested again with an A1C at 5.44%.

It’s bad now. I just got results. It’s 6.5%
Old 09-28-2022, 08:55 AM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

FWIW, I am not pre-diabetic, but like many I have seen my weight creep up year after year as I age.

One way of eating I found useful is in Dr Ludwig's book "Always Hungry". If you're not ready for full-on very low carb diet, this might help. I call it lower-carb as you eliminate the worst offenders while being able to eat other carbs that are still very similar to how mother nature made them. It works for me. YMMV.

Note: I suggest getting the book from the library for free. If it works for you then buy the accompanying cook book.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 09:50 AM   #47
Dryer sheet aficionado

I crossed over and am officially Type 2 by a fraction as of a couple months ago. I haven’t eliminated carbs and sugar but cut way, way back. I’ve tried riced cauliflower vegetable blends (frozen vegetables section) and cauliflower pizza. Both are surprisingly good. Also using an app called Lose-It to track calories in and out. Easy to use and helpful.
GoodLife59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 09:57 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodLife59 View Post
I crossed over and am officially Type 2 by a fraction as of a couple months ago. I haven’t eliminated carbs and sugar but cut way, way back. I’ve tried riced cauliflower vegetable blends (frozen vegetables section) and cauliflower pizza. Both are surprisingly good. Also using an app called Lose-It to track calories in and out. Easy to use and helpful.
Costco sells a cauliflower crust pizza that is perhaps the best frozen pizza I have tasted. It's still rather mediocre, but not just plain awful like most are.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 09:59 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyber888 View Post
It’s bad now. I just got results. It’s 6.5%
Yikes. That will put you squarely as diabetic. If it is any consolation, my husband has been diabetic type II (now 1.5) for the past 24 years. His most recent A1C, taken in Sep 2022, was 5.7. He was 9.0+ when first diagnosed. Cutting off most carbs is the trick. His total carb intake is no more than 50 gms a day.
RetiredHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 10:01 AM   #50

Just be aware that cauliflower pizzas that you find in Costco and most grocery stores are very high in carbs. On the other hand Cauliflower wraps may be much lower in carbs. Knowing how many carbs your body can take and reading labels are extremely important to keep diabetes under control.
Old 09-28-2022, 10:45 AM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Interesting read. I’ve been pre diabetic for probably over 5 years and hovered around the same point at the low end. Moved and went to a new doctor and my results show the same. I have lost weight and still the same. I know what foods I need to cut out. I read the “heart” healthy Honey Nut Cheerios box and it is something like 24% of DV for sugars or more! So, I’ll finish the boxes I’ve stored and move to something else. Probably back to shredded wheat. Also, I eat way too many potato chips, but eat whole grain breads. I know there are multiple things that sneak in there. So, I’ll probably try harder and see if I can drop this. Fortunately my cholesterol and BP are all good.
djsander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 11:01 AM   #52

Through my husband's journey with managing his diabetes, I can say that what does not work for him. Whole grains is just another buzz word and hype for us. Complex carbs vs. simple carbs make very little difference. At the end of the day it is always about how many net carbs are injested. Take your blood sugar before and after every meal to learn how your body reacts to specific foods.
Old 09-28-2022, 12:42 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

I tried the "Egglife" wraps. Great idea. 0 carbs. Something to wrap your food in.

But... too expensive and I wasn't a fan of the taste or texture. I mention them because for some people they are perfect.

I'm sticking with the traditional ingredient lower carb wraps which clock in at about 5 carbs.

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 09:13 PM   #54

Quote:
Yikes. That will put you squarely as diabetic. If it is any consolation, my husband has been diabetic type II (now 1.5) for the past 24 years. His most recent A1C, taken in Sep 2022, was 5.7. He was 9.0+ when first diagnosed. Cutting off most carbs is the trick. His total carb intake is no more than 50 gms a day.
Yeah, I'm gonna beat it, and take this down
Old 09-28-2022, 09:25 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Through my husband's journey with managing his diabetes, I can say that what does not work for him. Whole grains is just another buzz word and hype for us. Complex carbs vs. simple carbs make very little difference. At the end of the day it is always about how many net carbs are injested. Take your blood sugar before and after every meal to learn how your body reacts to specific foods.
From what I have read, whole grain versions of bread, rice, pasta, etc. are still a big carb load and can cause big blood sugar spikes. If you are already diabetic or close (pre-diabetic), switching to whole grains but still eating high carb is not going to help you. Your disease will continue to progress.
Old 09-28-2022, 09:51 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyber888 View Post
Yeah, I'm gonna beat it, and take this down
Determination to beat it is more than half the battle won. You can continue to enjoy food but just be selective. Read all food labels.

We came across Carbonaut bagels yesterday - 70 calories with net 2 gm carbs (35 gms fiber) each. My husband had not had a bagel in years and we went out to buy 2 bags this afternoon. He had 2 bagels with cream cheese for dinner and he had a big grin on his face. I tried one myself. They did not have the same consistency as the regular super high carb bagels but they were really not bad - still tasted like bread and we got them toasted nicely. Including the cream cheese, my husband had no more than 10 grams of net carbs for dinner.

All the best!
Old 09-28-2022, 10:34 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Don’t you have to be very careful with those manufactured foods advertising very low net carbs? Some have been found to be fraudulent. Some have caused big glucose spikes in individuals. It seems like a mine field.

Many of the supposedly “keto friendly” products are anything but as soon as you read the ingredients.
Old 09-28-2022, 11:22 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Don’t you have to be very careful with those manufactured foods advertising very low net carbs? Some have been found to be fraudulent. Some have caused big glucose spikes in individuals. It seems like a mine field.

Many of the supposedly “keto friendly” products are anything but as soon as you read the ingredients.
You are absolutely right. A decade back my husband bought no name brand food items which listed extremely low carb on their labels, from the website called Netrition. Blood sugar test after consuming them showed that the advertised numbers were false. We stopped buying frim their website.

Carbonaut has become a well established brand carried by Sprouts and Whole Foods. My husband had tested many times after eating their bread and his blood glucose readings were low. In other words, the carb numbers on their labels are real.

We also ensure that we do not buy items which contain sugar alcohol. These sweeteners end with -tol. For my husband, they cause blood sugar spikes and followed by sudden hypoglycemia, .i.e. potential diabetic coma. He is not on insulin or meds that could cause hypoglycemia. It was very scary until we learned that it is a known potential side effect for diabetics. Dogs are also known to have died from hypoglycemia when owners inadvertently fed them "sugar free" treats which had sugar alcohol in them. Sugar alcohol gives me IBS, like wheat gluten.

Hence, take your blood sugar before and after meals to find out the impact of specific foods.
Old 09-29-2022, 04:23 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Anything manufactured is suspect.

I'm not going to give up all bread, so we make our own and know exactly how much high quality whole grain flour is in a loaf. Cut it evenly and you know exactly the carbs.

But it is work, even with a bread machine. And it can be expensive, especially if I get my wheat from a local store that mills their own.

I can't make decent wraps so I make an exception for that. Use them sparingly.

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 07:46 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

We bought a gyro type wrap once from a Mediterranean deli that used large romaine leaves as the wrap and it was delicious. I haven’t tried to reproduce at home because we really don’t eat sandwiches, but it’s certainly an option.

If there is a particular style of favorite sandwich filling try just making the filling - simple things like ham and cheese work very well as a roll up. More complex fillings you can just stack on a plate or make a nice salad of it.