Join Early Retirement Today

Pre-Diabetic level - Doc suggest no bread/pasta - What's your substitute for bread?
Old 09-23-2022, 08:47 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Pre-Diabetic level - Doc suggest no bread/pasta - What's your substitute for bread?

Ok, so just had my yearly medical check-up and doc said I may be entering that pre-diabetic stage, and suggest I cut out bread, rice, sugar, and any kind of carb.

So, she suggest tons of Eggs (no limit) and also Spinach Wrap in lieu of bread.

Just wondering what do you substitute for bread, rice, and other carb, if you're diabetic or pre-diabetic. Thanks.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2022, 08:57 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm pre-diabetic too.

No ban for me but I voluntarily cut down. Namely, smaller portions, and go non white. Wheat instead of white bread, brown rice instead of white rice..

Would to tough I think to give up totally.
Old 09-23-2022, 08:59 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I'm not restricting carb but I spent a lot of time 7 years ago studying diet when I wanted to lose weight. While I don't have specifics I utilized look at a ketogenic(keto) diet. There's many folks who eat that way and I know on Myfitnesspal's forum there were many posts about some of their experiences. There's many other sources of information about keto too. Good luck.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 10:09 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I am a lower-carb person. I often used the low carb tortillas in place of bread. They have a net of 4 carbs each, and I cut them in half so that is only net 2 carbs per wrap.

I am not per-diabetic and know little about it. So the above may or may not be good for you.

Self proclaimed President for Life of Outliers United.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 10:15 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Not pre-diabetic here with normal cholesterol and normal blood analysis for years. I choose not to eat anything white (sugar, bread, rice, etc).

For bread, low carb tortillas are a good choice ( 4-6 carbs).
Old 09-23-2022, 10:22 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Almond Milk is good instead of regular milk.
Old 09-23-2022, 10:29 AM   #7

Are you sure she said all carbs?

I did diabetic care management for patients for several years. We recommended excluding "white" carbs (white rice, bread, potatoes, etc) and substitute whole wheat bread, brown rice in appropriate serving sizes. Thats one of the keys--we Americans are so used to "super size" that many do not realize what a "serving" is.

There are carbs in veggies, fruits also.

But, yes, being aware of how many carbs you can eat daily is essential for controlling blood sugar.
Old 09-23-2022, 10:29 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Remember reducing carbs also means cutting down/out sugar as well.

DFIL, was incredible in his efforts to cut down carbs and sugar, he controlled his diabetes mostly through diet.

He did say he was hungry most of the time.
Old 09-23-2022, 10:42 AM   #9

Forgot to add--Check out the American Diabetes Association website. They have a whole section on nutrition and food, including recipes and the "Diabetes Plate Method" (essentially 1/2 of your plate to be non starchy veggies, 1/4 protein, 1/4 carbs)
Old 09-23-2022, 11:11 AM   #10

I think instead of trying to avoid any/all "carbs", you should focus on reducing your intake of foods with high glycemic index. High GI foods tend to spike blood sugar levels, which is very bad for pre-diabetic people.

Take a look at this: https://www.medicinenet.com/low-glyc...de/article.htm

Also, please consider intermittent fasting and/or time-restricted eating. These techniques can be very effective at controlling blood sugar levels and reversing the progression of pre-diabetes to the big D.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 11:58 AM   #11
Dryer sheet aficionado

What does entering into pre-diabetic mean? Are you pre, pre-diabetic?

I suggest you consult a dietitian, they can help you figure out a sustainable healthy way to eat.

I am not a dietitian but I am aware many have changed how they advise people on what to eat. Many no longer eschew all white food and recommend potatoes as a healthy food with many vitamins. Also some are rethinking the glycemic index.

Your dr probably is not up to date on the most recent research and recommended diet.

Good luck
Goldendoodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 06:29 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

OP - What was your A1C and what was your fasting blood glucose?

A few years ago I had a higher A1C than I liked (5.9%) although I wasn't diagnosed as pre-diabetic. It did alarm me a bit so I did a lot of reading. I decided to get a glucose monitor and to test before and after meals to see what foods raised my blood sugar and which ones didn't and to see how quick it came down. I did limit my carbs somewhat (although not truly low carb). I found that for me some foods would really spike blood sugar for a considerable time while others didn't.

Here is a thread where I talked about my experiment and what I was doing:

https://www.early-retirement.org/for...-me-75852.html

About 10 months after that post and using my research data for almost a Year I went back was tested again with an A1C at 5.44%.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 08:14 PM   #13

My journey tells me that my weight loss is a big contributor to my health. I'm going back to work on low carb foods and closer monitoring as I've been slacking for a while now. 170 is a good place for me and I'm 17 lbs to go. I'm a short 5'8"... Thick build.

Some food substitution I do are deluxe mixed nuts, eggs and bacon, lots of meat in general, cheese (a little) and green veggies (brocolini, green beans, cauliflower, asparagus and brussel sprouts). Sometimes I freeze raspberries, blueberries, blackberries and strawberries to make a sorbet with a little half & half...

My problem is candy & gelato (just did a 14 day binge in Italy)... I have to go cold turkey with my addiction.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20220923_210325.jpg (257.6 KB, 113 views)
Surewhitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 08:55 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

We have simply learned to eat without bread, pasta, rice, grains. We don’t miss it.

We often use shredded sautéed cabbage instead of rice, noodles or pasta. Works well for Thai and Italian and sauces in general.

For sandwiches lettuce wraps work well, but we mostly have the fillings without the bread. Things like sliced cold cuts wrapped around various fillings work well. It’s more like eating antipasti.

We pretty much have eggs in various ways for breakfast.

A lot of our meals are meat/seafood/poultry with a non-starchy side vegetable or two. We also enjoy large salads with plenty of protein etc. added as a meal.

I recently took a picture of some of the goodies we pack in the cooler for noshing on our long road trips. Very satisfying.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 09D450DF-BA35-4F02-8CCA-AF39E63A0C05.jpeg (404.2 KB, 110 views)
Old 09-23-2022, 09:08 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

3-4 years ago I was getting close to pre-diabetic. Doc told me to keep carbs under 150g a day. So I started counting. The banana blueberry protein shake I had every morning had 70g’s alone. Cup of rice for dinner? 70g’s. Bread? Poison. Tomato soup, yogurt, so much stuff loaded with carbs.
Ultimate solution for me was to do intermittent fasting. Eat within 8 hours, do not eat for 16 and avoid all white foods: bread, pasta, potatoes, rice, bananas, pop corn, chips, crackers, etc. I have so much greater health today per my blood screens as a result and I do not miss anything.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 09:19 PM   #16

To help with that bread craving, I use Franz Keto bread. It's not horrific or anything :P
https://www.safeway.com/shop/product...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 09-23-2022, 10:56 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyber888 View Post
Ok, so just had my yearly medical check-up and doc said I may be entering that pre-diabetic stage, and suggest I cut out bread, rice, sugar, and any kind of carb.

So, she suggest tons of Eggs (no limit) and also Spinach Wrap in lieu of bread.

Just wondering what do you substitute for bread, rice, and other carb, if you're diabetic or pre-diabetic. Thanks.
I'm Type II diabetic and I don't even eat like that. Try to avoid most things that are white and stick with meats and veggies that are green.

But you've got to have some enjoyment. Just live in moderation. Stay away from grossly sweet things like pecan pie and Snickers.

Get yourself a Glucose Monitor and study what makes your blood sugars to spike way up. You can often eat those items on "good days" when your blood sugar is low.

My blood sugars normally run about 115, but I get a little shaky/nervous under 100. My range is under 170 per my doctor. Everyone's a little different.

But the real danger of diabetes is those that get down to 30-40. It's easy to drop lower to the point where you will be confused, have no memory and your organs begin shutting down.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 05:05 AM   #18

With wheat bread you still need to check the nutritional information. Look for higher fiber and protein. Some wheat bread is no better than white. There are also pastas with high protein and/or fiber content that are better than regular. BTW, from that info, brown rice seems no better than white to me.
Old 09-24-2022, 02:22 PM   #19

Thanks for all your suggestions. This is very good info for me. Appreciate it.

My doctor was very general when she says to avoid carb like rice, pasta, white bread.
Old 09-24-2022, 03:13 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surewhitey View Post
My problem is candy & gelato (just did a 14 day binge in Italy)... I have to go cold turkey with my addiction.
With your ratios the way you showed them, I would completely ignore your total and LDL cholesterol numbers.

But your glucose and A1C numbers are concerning, so I would certainly cut back on the sugar as much as possible.

I feel for you, as ice cream is also one of my big weaknesses.