Join Early Retirement Today

Prescriptions and travelling
Old 10-06-2021, 09:50 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Prescriptions and travelling

Between DW and I we have only a few prescriptions. When working we just picked up refills when they were due. We have a 4-week domestic trip planned, and BCBS/Walgreens is giving us a bit of a problem. One med "isn't refillable" now so we can't stock up. We could try refilling at an out of state Walgreen, but it will be running out near the time when we are traveling back. Will insurance usually allow a refill a week before completely running out? I am assuming that picking up at an out of state pharmacy is allowed. I'd appreciate insight form folks who have done this. I am sure it has been discussed but I couldn't find a thread.
RetMD21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2021, 09:56 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Is it a 30 day script? My DH has 90 and they are available a week before pickup.However we have used Walgreens and you need to submit this as a vacation overide..if Walgreens say they can't give them some grief because I know they can and will. FWIW my DH takes a beta blocker which isn't considered an addictive type drug open to abuse.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 09:58 AM   #3

The usual sticking point with early refills is that your insurance won't kick-in.

If you're traveling domestically and the prescription is with a US pharmacy chain, you can just have it dispensed wherever you happen to be.

I've done it with CVS. You could call and check, but I'm sure Walgreens would do it too.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 10:00 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
The usual sticking point with early refills is that your insurance won't kick-in.

If you're traveling domestically and the prescription is with a US pharmacy chain, you can just have it dispensed wherever you happen to be.

I've done it with CVS. You could call and check, but I'm sure Walgreens would do it too.

First ask for the vacation over ride then you have the meds with you when you travel..people travel it's a matter of the drugstore calling the insurer directly.
Old 10-06-2021, 10:44 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
First ask for the vacation over ride then you have the meds with you when you travel..people travel it's a matter of the drugstore calling the insurer directly.
+1 I have done this several times and had no problems with the insurance company.
Old 10-06-2021, 11:24 AM   #6

We've done the vacation override for years and have never encountered problems.
TrvlBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 11:32 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

As long as it is with a nationwide chain, there should be no problem refilling in another state, as long as there are refills on the prescription. I did this when traveling with my father several years ago and he needed a refill.
WE have also forgotten to pack our meds on one trip and were able to go into the local pharmacy and they got a vacation override to fill just the number of pills to get us through our trip. The pharmacist was very helpful in working with the ins company at that time.
Old 10-06-2021, 11:38 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
We are allowed 6 months once a year by the insurer.
Old 10-06-2021, 12:26 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacergal View Post
As long as it is with a nationwide chain, there should be no problem refilling in another state, as long as there are refills on the prescription. I did this when traveling with my father several years ago and he needed a refill.
WE have also forgotten to pack our meds on one trip and were able to go into the local pharmacy and they got a vacation override to fill just the number of pills to get us through our trip. The pharmacist was very helpful in working with the ins company at that time.
Depends on where you are going. I can testify first-hand that CVS and Walgreens do not have corner stores in Myanmar, Vietnam, Zimbabwe, or Ethiopia as well as many other 3rd world countries.

When we travel I carry an extra week or two of meds on the theory that it will give enough time to sort out finding replacements for lost pills or may be just enough to finish the trip. DW and I divide our meds between bags, too, so neither of us loses everything if a bag goes walkabout.
Old 10-06-2021, 12:34 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
Depends on where you are going. I can testify first-hand that CVS and Walgreens do not have corner stores in Myanmar, Vietnam, Zimbabwe, or Ethiopia as well as many other 3rd world countries.

When we travel I carry an extra week or two of meds on the theory that it will give enough time to sort out finding replacements for lost pills or may be just enough to finish the trip. DW and I divide our meds between bags, too, so neither of us loses everything if a bag goes walkabout.

Great minds think alike... we even make sure our suitcases have some basic clothes for each of us.
Old 10-06-2021, 12:49 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
Great minds think alike... we even make sure our suitcases have some basic clothes for each of us.
Yup. And one of our carry-ons has enough "stuff" to meet our needs for a day or two. We were on a small group trip to India once and one traveler's checked bag went missing. He didn't get it until he got back home. He quickly learned how to wear a dhoti. We have had a bag go missing for up to a day, but not beyond that. But even a day can be difficult if you are on the move and the bag is trying to chase you.
Old 10-06-2021, 04:31 PM   #12

We both have many prescriptions and stock up at least 6 months worth of medications. Gulp! When we have 30-day refills, we make it a point of picking up prescriptions a week before they are due. With 90-day refills, we are able to re-order them at 60 days mark. It takes time to build up our stash for new medications but that's what we do. I fill the medications in pill boxes/strips and always take an extra 2 to 3 weeks worth for each trip in case we get stuck in wherever we vacation.
RetiredHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 04:44 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredHappy View Post
We both have many prescriptions and stock up at least 6 months worth of medications. Gulp! When we have 30-day refills, we make it a point of picking up prescriptions a week before they are due. With 90-day refills, we are able to re-order them at 60 days mark. It takes time to build up our stash for new medications but that's what we do. I fill the medications in pill boxes/strips and always take an extra 2 to 3 weeks worth for each trip in case we get stuck in wherever we vacation.
Too late for op, but this is what we do (I think it is 70 days for us, but I could be wrong).

And, as a reminder, make sure to refill all prescriptions before the end of the year, especially if you are changing Part D providers. There is often a challenge getting prescriptions moved over to a new provider.
Old 10-06-2021, 04:49 PM   #14

A couple of folks mentioned vacation override. We had done that a couple of times when we had new meds and had not built our stash yet. Just asked your pharmacy to do it now, i.e. get approval from insurance to fill your presccriptions early. I did that once before and the insurer called me to confirm the dates of my vacation before sending approval over to the pharmacy.
RetiredHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 11:18 AM   #15

Thanks all. FWIW Walgreens's didn't offer to help and BCBS Michigan said that they require customers to call anyway. We have a vacation override in progress. Talked to 2 people at the insurance and the nice lady is submitting it for someone else to approve. Seems like a silly run around.

This is an "expensive" generic and the insurance is getting us a better deal than we could get with good rx.
Old 10-08-2021, 11:21 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetMD21 View Post
Thanks all. FWIW Walgreens's didn't offer to help and BCBS Michigan said that they require customers to call anyway. We have a vacation override in progress. Talked to 2 people at the insurance and the nice lady is submitting it for someone else to approve. Seems like a silly run around.

This is an "expensive" generic and the insurance is getting us a better deal than we could get with good rx.

It does seem like a runaround but at least you know the system now. And I have had my DD pickup a kids RX at our local Walgreens from her home Walgreens but sometimes a bird in hand the way to go.
Old 10-08-2021, 01:30 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
DW and I divide our meds between bags, too, so neither of us loses everything if a bag goes walkabout.
That is very wise.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 02:02 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

We travel out of country for 2-3 months, twice a year (pre covid).

DW has one prescription. She calls her physician, who is aware that we travel, and gets a replacement Rx issued that allows her to acquire a 3 month supply. OR the number of months she will be short of pills prior to departure. I suppose that this might be contingent on the nature of the Rx. Now that Rx is always for 90 days and with something like 6 refills allowed on the Rx.

Has not been an issue for the past ten years or so. Depending on the country and on the RX you may well be able to have it filled while travelling. She always takes a copy of the RX with her just in case.

We travel with carry on only so the Rx is always with us. When we did travel with checked bags, we never placed the Rx in a checked bag.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 04:48 PM   #19

So BCBS of Michigan was no help at all. The first representative left a message saying she needed out date of return. We called back but she was gone. The second representative asked questions then threw us back into the voicemail queue. The third told us that they don't do vacation overrides in the US, which I doubt.

Although DW would like to have her pills before we leave, we can get refills at our destination. Alternatively, I can send in a prescription to another pharmacy and use a Goodrx coupon before we leave. Traveling near the end of the 90 day refill period is complicating matters.
Old 10-08-2021, 05:04 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
.... DW and I divide our meds between bags, too, so neither of us loses everything if a bag goes walkabout.
We also make sure to carry our drugs in the carryon bags.

My Sister put all her Meds in the checked baggage, and was surprised to find them gone when she got her bags after the flight.