Join Early Retirement Today

Pricing Health Insurance. Is this a bad idea?
Old 04-23-2007, 06:59 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Pricing Health Insurance. Is this a bad idea?

Individual healthcare insurance is my biggest unknown in my RE planning. I have talked with several insurance brokers and all of them indicate I should not apply until about 2 months before I need the insurance. The problem is, that is too late to find out that the only insurance I can get is too expensive relative to what I planned for. So, my question is: Are there any drawbacks to making an official application to 2 or 3 health insurance carriers to find out what my actual costs and exclusions will be even if I don’t plan to purchase any of the policies for another 10 to 12 months?
RASAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Pricing Health Insurance. Is this a bad idea?
Old 04-23-2007, 07:13 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I believe most insurers won't process the application until 60 days before the date you want the policy to start (at least that's what I found to be the case). The obvious reason for this is that you could develop a "pre-existing condition" over the longer time period. Also, the premiums will likely be higher 10-12 months out (because of your age and general health care inflation). Your broker (or the insurance company) should be able to provide you with current premiums for the different levels of insurance for which you might qualify, depending upon your health, what medications you take, etc.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:31 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

A good broker can do an anonymous prescreen for you with several different carriers to help you determine what your likely outcome will be. It is important to disclose as much medical history as you can to the broker so he/she can get likely results for you. These results should include if there is a likely possibility of rate-ups, exclusions, or possible decline. It is not necessary to submit the applicants name to the insurance carrier in order to do a prescreen. Rates change approx every quarter for new business, so the quote is not going to be exact, nor should you expect it to be guaranteed.
mykidslovedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 11:44 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE'd@51
I believe most insurers won't process the application until 60 days before the date you want the policy to start (at least that's what I found to be the case). The obvious reason for this is that you could develop a "pre-existing condition" over the longer time period. Also, the premiums will likely be higher 10-12 months out (because of your age and general health care inflation)....
Yes, I understand all of that - that is why I was considering submitting an official application (as if I need the insurance now) with no intention of actually purchasing the policy at this time in order to get actual results. I fully realize that the premiums would be higher if I develop a pre-existing condition or due to rate increases but at least I would know what exclusions I would be faced with and the ACTUAL (current) price of the policy under current conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykidslovedogs
A good broker can do an anonymous prescreen for you with several different carriers to help you determine what your likely outcome will be. It is important to disclose as much medical history as you can to the broker so he/she can get likely results for you. These results should include if there is a likely possibility of rate-ups, exclusions, or possible decline. It is not necessary to submit the applicants name to the insurance carrier in order to do a prescreen. Rates change approx every quarter for new business, so the quote is not going to be exact, nor should you expect it to be guaranteed.
I have talked to 3 different brokers and none have offered a pre-screening. Do I need to find another broker, or must I specifically ask for a pre-screening? So far, all have told me to call back when I'm ready to purchase a policy.
RASAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 04:06 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

A prescreen can be done anytime. I guess you should try asking for one. Explain that you are just trying to get an idea of likely outcome.
mykidslovedogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
health insurance