Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-21-2017, 04:02 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've had them for years. I have a pair of single lens sunglasses I use when driving and playing golf. Never adjusted very well to progressive when trying to hit a golf ball.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2017, 04:10 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I failed miserably at using progressive lenses. DW loves them. Go figure.
I failed at using progressives made for both close work and distance vision, as I found the area I could read with to simply be too small.

A few years later, I turned out to be OK without a distance prescription. I now use progressives that go from close work to computer distance and wear them just about all day in the office.
Out of Steam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 04:13 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan View Post
Give the glasses a chance, but don't hesitate to go back and have them check.
I certainly plan to give them a chance, they told me it could take a while to adjust, and I accept that. DW has had progressives for years, and told me it took her a while to adjust. ForEyes told me I have 30 days to replace/rework the glasses. We'll see, but a confusing first day with over $500 worth of "fancy" new glasses replacing a bunch of readers that cost me $5-15 each...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
I felt like you do, that there was a small slot of clear vision and that everything else was fuzzy. I was miserable! For what this pair of glasses cost me, I was just plain baffled at all the compromises I was required to make to be so miserable.

To tell the truth, I am way past caring that other people see lines in my glasses.
My reaction as well, but I'm at day one.

And I don't care about appearance either (bifocal vs progressive). I thought progressives would be easier to see with, maybe not. And it's my own fault as they offered bifocals, but I got the impression single vision or progressives seemed to be the only choices anyone cared about.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 04:19 PM   #24

When I first got progressives a few years ago, it took me a couple of weeks to adjust. Just be very careful going down stairs!

My eyes have gotten bad enough that going without glasses while cycling or boating was a problem, and I prefer not to wear my prescription sunglasses, so I recently started wearing multifocal contact lenses. The reading correction isn't optimal so I only wear the contacts when I'm active. Once I'm in for the night and showered I switch back to glasses. But I like the contacts for "sports" wear-- they allow me to wear my sport sunglasses which have better moisture management and are safer in case of getting bumped.

I also splurged for a dedicated pair of "computer" glasses. They are optimized for the typical screen distance, with the lower part of the lens for reading. They were a life saver while volunteering with AARP for tax prep. I also wear them while sewing. I recommend a pair like that for anyone who spends a lot of time on the computer or with a hobby that has you doing detail work at arm's distance.
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 04:25 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan View Post
I have had progressives for about 10 years. Every time I get a new pair, even if the changes are minor, there is an adjust time.

BUT, I also had a case where the shop had to remake them twice, because they did not have the center point located correctly. Particularly if you are on the computer a lot (like now ), the sweet spot is different.

If I am doing any kind of close-in work, I still need to take the glasses off, but that is only a few times a week.

Give the glasses a chance, but don't hesitate to go back and have them check.
When I first got mine, the optometrist asked about computer activity. My specs were designed with that in mind. Perhaps that's why I didn't have any problems adjusting.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 04:27 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

I've had progressives for about 5 years. Didn't take more than a week or two to get used to them.

For reading/office work, I got a "computer progressive" grind that significantly widened the reading field of view at the expense of distance vision. Could only focus a maximum of 6 feet away. Worked great for being able to focus on a page without having to move your head.
Viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 05:25 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

I've been wearing glasses since age 7. I guess that made the move to progressives not such a big deal. I will say it takes a good optician/technician to make a great progressive lens fit my eye -- i.e. one that does not cause me to see "double". I have had 4-5 sets of progressives. The last two have been the best in achieving good vision.
LauAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 05:30 PM   #28

I have had progressive lenses for quite a few years now. I didn't realize anyone had problems with them. Up until the pair I just got at Costco, I hadn't had any problem. I can't see fine print when I am balancing my statements and moving back and forth from fine print to computer. I put my old glasses back on and they work much better. I will take the new ones back in.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 05:43 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Many years ago when I first got bifocals they were progressive. As I walked out the doctors office I stepped and totally missed the curb, yes, they do take some getting used to. After moving your head around a lot you'll notice your eyes getting used to them and you won't look for the "sweet spot" to read any more. Hang in there!
Dancer373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 06:06 PM   #30

If you go with Zeiss lenses or similar, there's a much larger viewing area. But they're pricey.
Old 04-21-2017, 06:09 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancer373 View Post
Many years ago when I first got bifocals they were progressive. As I walked out the doctors office I stepped and totally missed the curb, yes, they do take some getting used to. After moving your head around a lot you'll notice your eyes getting used to them and you won't look for the "sweet spot" to read any more. Hang in there!
You're right, but having used readers for many years, I learned not to navigate down stairs with them on long ago. It's the very narrow side to side range of focus, both upper and lower viewing but especially the latter that are throwing me. Having to move my head side to side to read a sentence on a page comes as a "surprise." But I plan to give it some time as you and others have suggested.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 07:22 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Took me almost a month to fully acclimate to my first pair of progressives. However, have never gotten really comfortable with the limited area for the reading distance or intermediate distance portion. If I am going to be reading a book or working on the computer for more than a few minutes, I switch to cheapie ((<$10) prescription single vision glasses from Zenni. Dime store readers are a no go for my eyes due to very different corrections needed on each side.
DrBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 08:07 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliefan33 View Post
When I first got progressives a few years ago, it took me a couple of weeks to adjust. Just be very careful going down stairs
Isn't that the truth! The stairs are treacherous until you get used to them.

I am now on my second prescription for progressives. I really like them. I have also tried bifocals with the line and I don't like them. I find the line distracting and have to figure out how to see around it. I know others who do fine with them.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:13 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

I'm never getting bifocals, never.

One pair for regular and another for reading if needed. I don't need them with Kindle, just adjust the text size, but I do need them for soldering circuits.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 08:26 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
I'm never getting bifocals, never.

One pair for regular and another for reading if needed. I don't need them with Kindle, just adjust the text size, but I do need them for soldering circuits.
Hey Robbie,

As a wise old sage once said - "Never say Never!"
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 08:38 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

I think it makes a difference which brand you get - I had a pair of progressives that didn't work for me at all. The doctor redid the lenses with some other parameter values (which I don't remember - this was several years ago, and I don't remember the brand name either ..) and they still didn't work well enough for me. (I cannot remember the brand..) Then the doctor made another pair with HOYA ID and this made me a believer. The peripherals do get blurry, but they are not bad at all unless I need to see something way out of the main area of the lens. My old boss used to have to move his head toward whatever he was looking at, and he looked awkward looking at his computer monitor (with his head tilted upwards to use the bottom section of his lenses), but I don't have to do that.
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 08:42 PM   #37

I'm on my third pair of progressives. the last two have been fancier more expensive digital? lenses. They were much easier to get used to. Last year I got a second pair for a backup, and didn't get the digital? lenses. Wow, I can really tell the difference between the older style and the newer digital? lenses. the newer digital ones also have a broader range of field in the middle. I wish I would have paid the extra for those on my backup pair. they have a nice frame and might be my main pair if I had the better progressives.

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:25 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

I'm nearsighted, have been since a child. My Rx is very close to my Ma's, her glasses work well for me.

Old age improves nearsightedness. I passed my DMV exam w/o glasses last visit and the restriction was lifted. But old age also makes it harder to focus close.

I have Rx reading glasses too, but only use them for close "work" not reading. And my eyes do not need a lot of correction either thankfully.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:29 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

https://www.amazon.com/ADLENS-USA-IN...00QKV1AR0&th=1

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Those are so COOL!!! Thank you! I didn't realize that they were that inexpensive. In fact, I just ordered a pair this afternoon, just for fun. They were $27.99 with free Prime shipping, and I paid for it with my Amazon Visa rewards points so they cost me nothing. If they don't work for me, so what; at least I will have given it a shot.

My eyes change a lot too, especially at night, and although I have some 1.75 reading glasses as well as 2.00 ones, sometimes it would be nice to be able to adjust the correction further, as needed.
That's the way I looked at, for ~ $30 I'd give them a try. Hope they work as well for you as they do for me, seem to be hit/miss according to reviews.

Otherwise, a Good Will donation - they might work for someone else in need.

And my, are they stylish (like I said, I only use them in bed!)!

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:46 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
https://www.amazon.com/ADLENS-USA-IN...00QKV1AR0&th=1

That's the way I looked at, for ~ $30 I'd give them a try. Hope they work as well for you as they do for me, seem to be hit/miss according to reviews.

Otherwise, a Good Will donation - they might work for someone else in need.

And my, are they stylish (like I said, I only use them in bed!)!

-ERD50
Hey, I got the stylish, sultry "crystal" color. If they don't work, so what, and if they do work that would be pretty neat. Right now it's kind of annoying when it gets harder to read at night for no perceptible reason.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote