Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-27-2018, 06:45 AM   #141
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

That is great news!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2018, 09:04 AM   #142
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Great news, what a relief I bet.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 10:46 AM   #143
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Ok, I thought I'd provide an update since it's been over six stressful months since I started this thread.

This is the day I was supposed to have an MRI and then a follow up appointment with the Urologist. Per the Urologist's advice I had a PSA test a week ago and the results were down to 2.52!!

So, I emailed the Urologist and asked if I should still have the MRI done and he said no, but keep your appointment and let's talk about it. Today the Urologist did a DRE and said the prostate is still enlarged but was normal in all other respects. He believes the Tamsulosin that I've been taking has helped. An ultrasound that he did today shows that I am now emptying my bladder to a good level.

He said that when you have an enlarged prostate and you are not able to empty your bladder properly, this can irritate the prostate and cause high PSA readings. That's why he prescribed the Tamsulosin and a follow up appointment 6 months from then. I didn't know this and didn't read that in any research I had done.

No other actions planned at this time other than keep taking the Tamsulosin, get another PSA test in a year, and have a follow up appointment with the Urologist in a year.

What a relief!!

As an aside, I also changed the time of year I get my yearly physical from July when I am very physically active to November when I am not as physically active since various forms of physical activity such as bike riding can elevate PSA levels.

Thanks again for all those who have shared your experiences and given me lots to think about, especially opting for the MRI instead of a biopsy, if that would have been necessary.

Cheers!
freedomatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 11:04 AM   #144
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Great news! Thanks for following up!
Old 03-05-2019, 11:08 AM   #145
Recycles dryer sheets

Great news Freedom. Glad for you

I am especially interested as I have the enlarged prostate and high PSA readings.
I will ask the quacks in June when we go in to Texas for vaca - if my readings being high could be due to the bladder empty issue which I have very much so.
Not looking forward to another Core Sampling procedure....
Again congrats on the good news.
gamboolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 11:09 AM   #146
Moderator Emeritus

Great news!

I take the same drug and my PSA has never been more than 1.4, and usually less than 1.0 (over 10 years of tests). But, my prostate is a bit enlarged and has created the urination issue which the Tam seems to have created relief.
Old 03-12-2019, 03:46 PM   #147
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomatlast View Post
Just completed my annual physical earlier in the week. Doctor's office called yesterday and said everything looked great except PSA doubled since last year. In 2016 it was 2.88, in 2017 it was 2.38 and this year it is 4.59. I'm 58 1/2 years old at this time.

They want me to come back in a month to check PSA again.

Anyone have similar experiences or information on this they would be willing to share?
My husband went from PSA <1 to almost 4 in a year. Normally they don't refer to a urologist unless it is over 4. Fortunately, his PCP did refer him, and it turned out that he had stage 1 cancer (which his chosen treatment has "cured" with PSA tests at almost zero now).

The urologist told him that many GPs aren't as highly trained to know what to feel for during the physical part of the exam, so it was good he's a proactive doctor and referred due to the PSA test changing so much over just 1 year.

It can't hurt to get it checked out, and as two stage 0/1 cancer survivors I can tell you that it's better to nip any chance of cancer in the bud, but I generally err on the side of caution.

We still have too much to do in this life to get sick.
Old 03-12-2019, 04:15 PM   #148
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesehead View Post

...once you're diagnosed with a higher Gleason score, then it's deadly serious
My DH a very high Gleason score, and we'd have had no idea that anything was amiss without the tests the urologist did. I'm so grateful that it was caught early and shot down.
Old 03-12-2019, 04:29 PM   #149
Dryer sheet wannabe

I am sure most of you know this but bicycle riding and/or sex will elevate your PSA. Abstain from both for at least three days prior to the test. Six days if you do both at the same time----sorry for the sarcasm.
aubailey is offline   Reply With Quote