Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-26-2021, 07:15 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
I have had non cancerous polyps each 5 year visit. Yup, colon cancer is mostly avoidable.
I have a relative that died of it and zero polyps. How common it is IDK.
badatmath is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2021, 07:16 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
+1, except that I have had 4.

If people think colonoscopy is a big deal, wait till you get older. There are much scarier procedures awaiting the unexpecting.

I don't mean to scare you, but people should know that getting old is not for sissies. [emoji23]
+1
I'm on an every 3 year plan and to think I fought to get on it. My last PCP wouldn't listen to what I was told by the doctor who performed it my last one. She had me on a 10 year plan and I argued about the prior findings and my sister's CC, she agreed to 5. I fired her and went to the doctor who said 3.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 07:20 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan View Post
Had a colonoscopy yesterday (prompted by a bout of Diverticulitis).

There is a new prep on the market called "Sutab". Just hit the open market last fall.

It is pricey, but doctor had a free coupon (normal price was around $150, and not covered by my insurance).

2 doses of 12 pills each. 48oz of water with the first batch, 32oz with the second.

MUCH milder than what I used 10 years ago for the last one (though you will still be "on the pot" for a while).

I have no interest in the company, and only heard about this from the doctor. Though, coincidentally, the company (Braintree Laboratories) is actually located in my home town.
How large are the pills? I gag and choke down as much as I can of that other crap and still throw up.

But I can't swallow very large pills either. Maybe if they are like coated . . .
Old 02-26-2021, 07:53 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Had my colonoscopy yesterday (2nd) and the clinic also used the dulcolax pills, then Miralax mixed with 64 oz Gatorade ( I used sugar free). I didn’t find the prep bad, and I was surprised that they allowed up to 3 high protein Ensure/Boost drinks during the clear liquid portion of the day before drinking the prep.

I had to pay for the Dulcolax, Miralax and Gatorade and I think that the last time the jug of prep I got from the pharmacist was free. Another small way to pass the costs to the consumer!
ImaCheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 10:11 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

I've been doing colonoscopies every five years since age 45 using same Miralax mixed with Gatorade concoction. It becomes an acquired taste...
daver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 11:07 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by daver View Post
I've been doing colonoscopies every five years since age 45 using same Miralax mixed with Gatorade concoction. It becomes an acquired taste...
Do you find that you want to keep some on hand in the fridge, just to toss back if you begin feeling sluggish?
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 03:07 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Thanks for that info. Last time I had to use a liquid called SuPrep, which is the vilest tasting thing on the planet. Very happy to know of this pill version, since I have a scope coming up in a couple of years.
I've done SuPrep twice.

Do you remember that scene in Harry Potter where Harry has to make Dumbledore drink all of the poison so they can find the horcrux?

That's all I could think of as I gagged that stuff down!

I will beg for the pills next time.
Old 02-27-2021, 03:48 AM   #28

This group is definitely in the over-50 demographic!

I have a strong family history so I’m on the five year plan and am due this year. The first one I had a bunch of pills to take and it was easy, except each round was taken over a period of an hour with many full glasses of water. I recall by the end, just getting any more water into me was a real challenge. I’ve had the suprep as well, and a trick I found on the internet was to chill it as cold as you can to dull the taste, then use a large diameter straw jammed to the back of the tongue and suck it down fast-as-you-can.

I was surprised recently that they put you completely under for the procedure now. The first time, I recalled every bit of it of even though they told me I’d be awake but wouldn’t remember. Thought it was cool to see my insides on the monitor.

I watched Mom and Grandma both die of this disease, so yeah, that’s the PSA. Don’t neglect this, y’all.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 05:51 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

I’m told Medicare only covers us once every 10 years normally, or up to once every 2 years if your doctor declares you high risk for colorectal cancer.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 06:27 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyBoy View Post
I was surprised recently that they put you completely under for the procedure now. The first time, I recalled every bit of it of even though they told me I’d be awake but wouldn’t remember. Thought it was cool to see my insides on the monitor.
They do, but it's not the same as a surgical-general anesthesia. It's a pump/drip, so you are out, but you awake as soon as the drip stops. I was being wheeled out on the gurney and already talking.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 09:12 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

For my first one they gave me pills and I got really sick. That was 13 years ago. They no longer prescribe those because of this sometimes happening and said it was too hard on your kidneys.
Teacher Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 09:34 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
OMG, I already bought my SuPrep for my procedure next Friday. Next week won’t be fun...the procedure is the easy part as most here probably know.
I'm weird. I think SuPrep tastes fine.

The pills of years ago were taken off the market due to kidney damage. I'm sure the new pills have that in mind and have been properly vetted.

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 11:40 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I’m told Medicare only covers us once every 10 years normally, or up to once every 2 years if your doctor declares you high risk for colorectal cancer.
Once every 10 years if you have no polyps and then at whatever frequency your doctor suggests depending on the outcome. I'm on a 5-year recall and there is no issue with Medicare paying.

- Rita
Old 02-27-2021, 01:19 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

I had my third (and hopefully last) colonoscopy last fall. Used the Suprep--actually it was not as bad as the awful stuff I had to take 10 years ago. I have fortunately never had any polyps so I had colonoscopies at ages 50, 60 and the recent one at 70. After the colonoscopy was over the doctor told me that unless I had problems I did not need anymore colonoscopies in the future. YAH!!!
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 01:58 PM   #35

My DH had a colonoscopy 09/2015, 09/2018, 04/2019 and was supposed to get another one 04/2020. He kept putting it off due to the pandemic. He is scheduled to have another one 04/30/21. He has had both of his Pfizer covid vaccinations and is planning on going to this one. He has had polyps every time and he also had a younger sister die from colon cancer.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 02:16 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by badatmath View Post
How large are the pills? I gag and choke down as much as I can of that other crap and still throw up.

But I can't swallow very large pills either. Maybe if they are like coated . . .
The pills are large, but well coated and I had no problem swallowing them.

How large? Well, smaller than the Cipro pills I had with the Diverticulitis, but a bit larger than an extra strength Tylenol.
Old 02-27-2021, 03:37 PM   #37

Thanks, if they are coated I could probably manage.
Old 02-27-2021, 03:53 PM   #38

I've said it on here before, if you take the liquid prep, just drink it down and then wash it down with a beer. It really does help. I use a lighter beer, since the prep instructions say no red liquids. So no stouts or amber ales. Just simple lager type.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 05:15 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
For my first one they gave me pills and I got really sick. That was 13 years ago. They no longer prescribe those because of this sometimes happening and said it was too hard on your kidneys.
I heard (so it must be true!) that one problem was some people didn’t drink all of the copious amounts of water that they were supposed to. Not saying at all that was your issue, but I could see how a lot of fluid would be needed given what’s about to happen.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 05:43 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Those of us who learned to chug beer in college have an advantage. I just chug the Suprep and required water like a college boy. I channel my youth. Gone in a matter of seconds.

I know some people may heave it back if they do this. Sorry that you had insufficient "training" in college.

But seriously, get it down, don't think it about. For God's sakes, don't sip it.

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote