PSA for Colonoscopy Prep

CardsFan

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Had a colonoscopy yesterday (prompted by a bout of Diverticulitis).

There is a new prep on the market called "Sutab". Just hit the open market last fall.

It is pricey, but doctor had a free coupon (normal price was around $150, and not covered by my insurance).

2 doses of 12 pills each. 48oz of water with the first batch, 32oz with the second.

MUCH milder than what I used 10 years ago for the last one (though you will still be "on the pot" for a while).

I have no interest in the company, and only heard about this from the doctor. Though, coincidentally, the company (Braintree Laboratories) is actually located in my home town.

There is a new prep on the market called "Sutab". Just hit the open market last fall.

It is pricey, but doctor had a free coupon (normal price was around $150, and not covered by my insurance).

2 doses of 12 pills each. 48oz of water with the first batch, 32oz with the second.

MUCH milder than what I used 10 years ago for the last one (though you will still be "on the pot" for a while).

I have no interest in the company, and only heard about this from the doctor. Though, coincidentally, the company (Braintree Laboratories) is actually located in my home town.

Thanks for that info. Last time I had to use a liquid called SuPrep, which is the vilest tasting thing on the planet. Very happy to know of this pill version, since I have a scope coming up in a couple of years.

Thanks for that info. Last time I had to use a liquid called SuPrep, which is the vilest tasting thing on the planet. Very happy to know of this pill version, since I have a scope coming up in a couple of years.

Yeah. Not sure what I took last time, but had the same reaction. You mixed a powder with about a gallon of water and Gatorade. Tasted horrible and I could not keep it down.

One warning with the pills. The last dose starts 6 hours before the procedure, so don't schedule it early in the morning. I made the mistake of scheduling for 9:30. Had to get up at 3:30 to finish prep.

Hopefully the pills will be more "insurance friendly" in a few years. That said, when I get my next one in 5 years, I think I would pay the price. (Blow that Dough)

Due for a colonoscopy this year. Will wait until after vaccination.
As far as bad tasting stuff, I just hold my nose when drinking.

Yes, I am due for another this year. I think I'm on the 3 or 4 year plan, my colon loves to grow polyps for some reason. The last colonoscopy found 3 polyps, one was in my appendix, so I had the appendix removed.

I am grateful the colonoscopies are available, it's much easier to deal with than colon cancer.

Yeah. For me, that works until I let go of the nose and barf.

I don't remember what it was I took, but I remember it was flavored pineapple orange, and it didn't taste bad at all to me. Of course I wasn't thrilled not venturing more than 20 feet from the bathroom, but I hope I get the same stuff my next time, which is due to be end of this year.

I don't remember what it was I took, but I remember it was flavored pineapple orange, and it didn't taste bad at all to me. Of course I wasn't thrilled not venturing more than 20 feet from the bathroom, but I hope I get the same stuff my next time, which is due to be end of this year.

You went that far? :D:D

Yes, I am due for another this year. I think I'm on the 3 or 4 year plan, my colon loves to grow polyps for some reason. The last colonoscopy found 3 polyps, one was in my appendix, so I had the appendix removed.

I am grateful the colonoscopies are available, it's much easier to deal with than colon cancer.

I have had non cancerous polyps each 5 year visit. Yup, colon cancer is mostly avoidable.

My gastro told me to use a whole bottle of miralax powder plus a couple ducolax. It went down easy because you can hardly taste the miralax, like drinking water that is a little gritty. Cleaned me out nicely.

I have had non cancerous polyps each 5 year visit. Yup, colon cancer is mostly avoidable.
One of my former co-w*rkers is stage 4. I don't think he's 50, maybe that's the PSA.

And definitely worth avoiding. I just read the book "Denali" about a young guy who went through it, and his relationship with his loyal dog. The colostomy stories are not something I want to experience.

The doc tried to make me buy some overpriced prep. I reminded him that last time I did the sugar-free gatoraid and miralax and it worked fine. He said "whatever works". I just did an internet search for " university of michigan gatorade miralax" and the PDF was the first link. Of course it's all "free" to buy the same thing through a pharma company if you have insurance, which is why they keep inventing the same thing over and over and over, and charging $150 for it.

OMG, I already bought my SuPrep for my procedure next Friday. Next week won’t be fun...the procedure is the easy part as most here probably know.

My gastro told me to use a whole bottle of miralax powder plus a couple ducolax. It went down easy because you can hardly taste the miralax, like drinking water that is a little gritty. Cleaned me out nicely.

This is the concoction my wife and I used this past Autumn and way back in 2010. Mixed with the white Gatorade flavor, it worked well.

OMG, I already bought my SuPrep for my procedure next Friday. Next week won’t be fun...the procedure is the easy part as most here probably know.

Isn't that the truth. I got to the front desk at the desk at 9:00am. Right back to a cube to get the full check-in and change. Got wheeled out promptly at 9:30. I was awake and putting my cloths on by 10:05.

FYI, just did a quick search. SuPrep is made by the same company as the SuTab I used.

Maybe Sengsational has a point?

I've had 2 colonoscopies. Neither was as bad as the horror stories I heard.

It's just not that bad in my opinion. Thank goodness.

And to all, here's to clean reports. My internist used to say 80-85 percent of cancers are found on first colonoscopies. So risk way down on subsequent ones.

He also did checks as part of annual physical.

Whatever you do, don't put them off!

I had my first last year, and it wasn't near as bad as I'd been warned. mixed it with Sprite, drank it super fast, over about a 30 min period. 24 pill might have more of a PITA for me. If anything, I remember downing all the water to go with was harder.

I've had 2 colonoscopies. Neither was as bad as the horror stories I heard.

It's just not that bad in my opinion. Thank goodness...

+1, except that I have had 4.

If people think colonoscopy is a big deal, wait till you get older. There are much scarier procedures awaiting the unexpecting.

I don't mean to scare you, but people should know that getting old is not for sissies. :LOL:

I have a relative that died of it and zero polyps. How common it is IDK.

Last edited:
+1, except that I have had 4.

If people think colonoscopy is a big deal, wait till you get older. There are much scarier procedures awaiting the unexpecting.

I don't mean to scare you, but people should know that getting old is not for sissies. [emoji23]
+1
I'm on an every 3 year plan and to think I fought to get on it. My last PCP wouldn't listen to what I was told by the doctor who performed it my last one. She had me on a 10 year plan and I argued about the prior findings and my sister's CC, she agreed to 5. I fired her and went to the doctor who said 3.

How large are the pills? I gag and choke down as much as I can of that other crap and still throw up.

But I can't swallow very large pills either. Maybe if they are like coated . . .

Had my colonoscopy yesterday (2nd) and the clinic also used the dulcolax pills, then Miralax mixed with 64 oz Gatorade ( I used sugar free). I didn’t find the prep bad, and I was surprised that they allowed up to 3 high protein Ensure/Boost drinks during the clear liquid portion of the day before drinking the prep.

I had to pay for the Dulcolax, Miralax and Gatorade and I think that the last time the jug of prep I got from the pharmacist was free. Another small way to pass the costs to the consumer!

I've been doing colonoscopies every five years since age 45 using same Miralax mixed with Gatorade concoction. It becomes an acquired taste...

Back
Top Bottom