PSA for Colonoscopy Prep

I've been doing colonoscopies every five years since age 45 using same Miralax mixed with Gatorade concoction. It becomes an acquired taste...

Do you find that you want to keep some on hand in the fridge, just to toss back if you begin feeling sluggish?

Thanks for that info. Last time I had to use a liquid called SuPrep, which is the vilest tasting thing on the planet. Very happy to know of this pill version, since I have a scope coming up in a couple of years.

I've done SuPrep twice.

Do you remember that scene in Harry Potter where Harry has to make Dumbledore drink all of the poison so they can find the horcrux?

That's all I could think of as I gagged that stuff down! :LOL:

I will beg for the pills next time.

This group is definitely in the over-50 demographic!

I have a strong family history so I’m on the five year plan and am due this year. The first one I had a bunch of pills to take and it was easy, except each round was taken over a period of an hour with many full glasses of water. I recall by the end, just getting any more water into me was a real challenge. I’ve had the suprep as well, and a trick I found on the internet was to chill it as cold as you can to dull the taste, then use a large diameter straw jammed to the back of the tongue and suck it down fast-as-you-can.

I was surprised recently that they put you completely under for the procedure now. The first time, I recalled every bit of it of even though they told me I’d be awake but wouldn’t remember. Thought it was cool to see my insides on the monitor.

I watched Mom and Grandma both die of this disease, so yeah, that’s the PSA. Don’t neglect this, y’all.

I’m told Medicare only covers us once every 10 years normally, or up to once every 2 years if your doctor declares you high risk for colorectal cancer.

I was surprised recently that they put you completely under for the procedure now. The first time, I recalled every bit of it of even though they told me I’d be awake but wouldn’t remember. Thought it was cool to see my insides on the monitor.

They do, but it's not the same as a surgical-general anesthesia. It's a pump/drip, so you are out, but you awake as soon as the drip stops. I was being wheeled out on the gurney and already talking.

For my first one they gave me pills and I got really sick. That was 13 years ago. They no longer prescribe those because of this sometimes happening and said it was too hard on your kidneys.

OMG, I already bought my SuPrep for my procedure next Friday. Next week won’t be fun...the procedure is the easy part as most here probably know.
I'm weird. I think SuPrep tastes fine.

The pills of years ago were taken off the market due to kidney damage. I'm sure the new pills have that in mind and have been properly vetted.

I’m told Medicare only covers us once every 10 years normally, or up to once every 2 years if your doctor declares you high risk for colorectal cancer.
Once every 10 years if you have no polyps and then at whatever frequency your doctor suggests depending on the outcome. I'm on a 5-year recall and there is no issue with Medicare paying.

- Rita

I had my third (and hopefully last) colonoscopy last fall. Used the Suprep--actually it was not as bad as the awful stuff I had to take 10 years ago. I have fortunately never had any polyps so I had colonoscopies at ages 50, 60 and the recent one at 70. After the colonoscopy was over the doctor told me that unless I had problems I did not need anymore colonoscopies in the future. YAH!!!

Last edited:
My DH had a colonoscopy 09/2015, 09/2018, 04/2019 and was supposed to get another one 04/2020. He kept putting it off due to the pandemic. He is scheduled to have another one 04/30/21. He has had both of his Pfizer covid vaccinations and is planning on going to this one. He has had polyps every time and he also had a younger sister die from colon cancer.

How large are the pills? I gag and choke down as much as I can of that other crap and still throw up.

But I can't swallow very large pills either. Maybe if they are like coated . . .

The pills are large, but well coated and I had no problem swallowing them.

How large? Well, smaller than the Cipro pills I had with the Diverticulitis, but a bit larger than an extra strength Tylenol.

I've said it on here before, if you take the liquid prep, just drink it down and then wash it down with a beer. It really does help. I use a lighter beer, since the prep instructions say no red liquids. So no stouts or amber ales. Just simple lager type.

For my first one they gave me pills and I got really sick. That was 13 years ago. They no longer prescribe those because of this sometimes happening and said it was too hard on your kidneys.

I heard (so it must be true!) that one problem was some people didn’t drink all of the copious amounts of water that they were supposed to. Not saying at all that was your issue, but I could see how a lot of fluid would be needed given what’s about to happen.

Those of us who learned to chug beer in college have an advantage. I just chug the Suprep and required water like a college boy. I channel my youth. Gone in a matter of seconds.

I know some people may heave it back if they do this. Sorry that you had insufficient "training" in college.:LOL:

But seriously, get it down, don't think it about. For God's sakes, don't sip it.

First thing on my March calendar, 3 years from my last colonoscopy.

I will call for an appointment this week.

I like the Miralax, Dulcolax, with lemon-lime gatorade prep.

I'm theoretically overdue for my next colonoscopy. I was planning to do it last year, but Covid got in the way. I had nothing the first time (in my 40s) and a couple of miniscule benign polyps the second time (in my 50s).

I've done the stool test for two years running. I read that two of the annual stool tests is comparable to a colonoscopy in effectiveness, but perhaps that's wishful thinking.

+1, except that I have had 4.

If people think colonoscopy is a big deal, wait till you get older. There are much scarier procedures awaiting the unexpecting.

I don't mean to scare you, but people should know that getting old is not for sissies. :LOL:

You got that right.
I had my first colonoscopy in November at 68, 4 days after I tore my meniscus. It was a little rough doing the prep with a really bad knee that made it difficult to walk and get on and off the throne. I remember thinking how easy it would be if my knee was normal. The prep is just more of an annoyance. My actual colonoscopy was really easy. I checked in at 9:50 and was on my way home at 11:15.
I may have to have a second prostate biopsy and that is 1000 times worse than the entire colonoscopy experience.
People, do not put off your colonoscopy.

Last edited:
Just had my third colonoscopy - age 51 (all clear), 61 (1 benign polyp), 66 (3 small benign polyps). I did SuPrep, and it is awful, no amount of lemon flavor helps. BUT the 12 hours after (including getting up at 3am for the second “helping” of SuPrep) is WAY worse than anything we drink...

Just had my third colonoscopy - age 51 (all clear), 61 (1 benign polyp), 66 (3 small benign polyps). I did SuPrep, and it is awful, no amount of lemon flavor helps. BUT the 12 hours after (including getting up at 3am for the second “helping” of SuPrep) is WAY worse than anything we drink...

Which is why I recommended the SuTab pills.

None of the prep is pleasant. The colonoscopy is the easy part.

FYI, I had 3 polyps as well. Now on the 5 year plan.

Which is why I recommended the SuTab pills.

None of the prep is pleasant. The colonoscopy is the easy part.

FYI, I had 3 polyps as well. Now on the 5 year plan.
Definitely. I don’t remember anything from the time the anesthesiologist said “here comes the good stuff” until I woke up about an hour later. It’s a remarkable sensation.

Humor in the prep

I never got past the line by humorist Dave Barry. He was cleaned out so well that he passed food he hadn’t even eaten yet... that sounded about right.

For me the worst thing about the colonoscopy prep. is not being able to eat all day. That is what I hate the most.

Although the prep. drink is gross I don't find it that bad- I just guzzle it down quickly. If I recall correctly I made sure it was very cold as well. Mind over matter.

I have always had the choice of pills vs. drink and always choose the drink.

I'm due for my first colonoscopy. Since it looks like there are a lot of "frequent fliers" on this post, any recommendations for scheduling that work best? For example, should I do on a Monday (to prep on Sunday), first thing, or later in the day?

I'm due for my first colonoscopy. Since it looks like there are a lot of "frequent fliers" on this post, any recommendations for scheduling that work best? For example, should I do on a Monday (to prep on Sunday), first thing, or later in the day?

When I was working that is what I did. Sunday spent the day relaxing and fasting. Appt for procedure scheduled for first thing Monday morning. You want a morning procedure or else you will have to continue to fast until it is done.

This way I did not have to worry about fasting while I was working and just take the one day off for the procedure.

Back
Top Bottom