PSA: on PSA Test (for men) - Part 2

I always get the PSA test. since I was around 60. after a few years of gradually elevated results I had a prostate biopsy several years ago. nothing there. the Dr. said PSA readings usually fall after a biopsy, which they did. It all seems so mysterious.

Might be a fatal assumption thinking that agressive vs non-agressive PC can be determined without biopsy?

I'm in questioning mode.
:angel:

Might be a fatal assumption thinking that agressive vs non-agressive PC can be determined without biopsy?

I'm in questioning mode.

My recent experience:

PSA blood test identifies elevated antigen present.

Prostate specific MRI with contrast identifies size of prostate, lesions, and stage (spread).

Biopsy guided with MRI/sonogram samples lesion area to identify Gleason score in order to determine aggressiveness of cancer cells.

Bone scans used to identify if stage 4 cancer is present.

I am not an MD. Just a recent patent going through steps to biopsy. High PSA was due to prostatitis - cleared up with 40 days of Cipro.

Atom

I'm in questioning mode.

From my experience, it was the biopsy pathology report that determined the 'Gleason score' of my cancer. The Gleason score is an assessment of the cancer's aggressiveness.

Without a biopsy, they are not able to determine the Gleason score.

My recent experience:

Prostate specific MRI with contrast identifies size of prostate, lesions, and stage (spread).

Biopsy guided with MRI/sonogram samples lesion area to identify Gleason score in order to determine aggressiveness of cancer cells.

I am not an MD. Just a recent patent going through steps to biopsy. High PSA was due to prostatitis - cleared up with 40 days of Cipro.

Atom

Would not the Cipro have been a better first course of action?

My recent experience:

Atom
Wait...Are you saying that you did all the above and only had prostatitis?

I am 72 and get prostatitis about once a year. Just finished Cipro yesterday. I would say it is a miracle drug. I feel better in 24 hours after first pill.

:cool:

Cipro almost killed my wife. Some can take it and some can't. Lucky that it works on me. Unlucky that I have to take it :facepalm: My PSA last month was 0.9 and I hope it stays that low. I will keep getting tested.

My Dad was really sick a couple years ago and misdiagnosed with pneumonia and given Levaquin (sp). He took one pill and the next morning said his calves were killing him. Not thinking there was any correlation he took more. The next morning he was still sore but feeling better overall. I had been sleeping at his house to look after him. Since he seemed better my wife and I were going to go out for a couple hours. He took another pill, I went home to get my wife and when I got back 20-30 minutes later he was out of it. Hallucinating and thinking he was dying. We took him to ER where he was diagnosed with the flu.He quit the Levaquin and got better but had he ruptured one or both achilles he likely would have ended up in a nursing home. Achilles are hard to recover from if your young. but at 95 he'd probably never get back on his feet.

Hallucinating and thinking he was dying. We took him to ER where he was diagnosed with the flu.

I had that twice. it's called toxic psychosis in the package insert. I was unable to even call 911. Just laid there for 24 hours having what I imagine was something akin to a very bad LSD trip. Took weeks to get over it. Of course my doctor said it was just some mystery illness unrelated to the drug. Four yrs later had the same reaction from eating a piece of chicken back when they used Baytril, a vetrinary version of quinolones, in poultry. It has since been banned for use in poultry. As far as I know they still use it in non-bird food animals so I don't eat them unless they're organic.

I was in my 40's then. I am 62 now. I would not expect to survive another exposure.

I had that twice. it's called toxic psychosis in the package insert. I was unable to even call 911. Just laid there for 24 hours having what I imagine was something akin to a very bad LSD trip. Took weeks to get over it. Of course my doctor said it was just some mystery illness unrelated to the drug. Four yrs later had the same reaction from eating a piece of chicken back when they used Baytril, a vetrinary version of quinolones, in poultry. It has since been banned for use in poultry. As far as I know they still use it in non-bird food animals so I don't eat them unless they're organic.

I was in my 40's then. I am 62 now. I would not expect to survive another exposure.

Wow. No way I take any Cipro related antibiotics.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom