Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-22-2016, 12:34 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Typically when I do pushups, I don't exhale on the "push" because the pace at which you do pushups is generally going to be a lot faster than the pace for, say, a bench press or a squat. I just focus on breathing normally, making sure I don't hold my breath at all, and just allow my body to determine how fast I inhale and exhale. I have the most success with enduring longer sets of just about any exercise from running to cycling to lifting or bodyweight exercises and HIIT when I don't try to force myself to breathe in some pre-determined pattern. The exception would be swimming for obvious reasons!
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2016, 12:40 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Know When To Hold It: How To Breathe While Lifting

Might stir the pot a bit.
Exrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 12:50 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exrook View Post
Quote:
When the loads get huge, the tough guys momentarily hold their breath
Not sure we've got any ER folks planning to squat 800 lbs like the roided up Ronnie Coleman does, but natural may include holding one's breath briefly on a single or low-rep max effort lift. I doubt many folks here are doing that type of thing, and for longer, multiple rep sets, breathing - whether rhythmically or naturally - is most definitely advisable.

Holding your breath through, say, a ten-rep set is only going to leave you gasping for air by the sixth rep and is detrimental not only to your performance but also your health!
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 12:55 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

when I'm trying to grunt out a last rep I'll hold my breath (I think)

that's when my trainer normally yells at me to breathe
Old 08-22-2016, 02:07 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Looking at youtube videos is a great idea (I'd say at least 2 to make sure they are consistent to protect against the yahoo showing you how to do it wrong), but also record yourself doing it and compare. It is easy to think you are doing it correctly, and then see that you aren't. A good personal trainer could help here, but I agree with the comment that you may not know if they are actually good.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 03:02 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
A good personal trainer could help here, but I agree with the comment that you may not know if they are actually good.
a good personal trainer is one that drinks with you
Old 08-22-2016, 03:47 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Oh, I was mislead by the title.

I was going to say when I see a large pushup, my breathing goes a little faster and my eyes seem to bulge out a bit.

But now that I know the topic, my answer would be breathe out on the up and in on the down, if I was concerned about it and didn't breathe normally.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 09:29 PM   #28

If you are just starting, you need to be sure that you do not hold your breath while exercising. Also, start slow and go slow. Too many trainers (and videos) will push you to find your maximum exertion point. That may be an effective way to build muscle for someone already in shape, but it's a good way to injure yourself, or worse have a heart attack, if you are new to exercising.

A good trainer (exercise physiologist if possible) can guide you about how to find safe levels of exertion and GRADUALLY increase as you get stronger. It's very very common for new exercisers to feel good after a few weeks and throw caution to the winds with a big jump in effort or endurance. This is a recipe to injury and may lead you to abandon your plans to exercise altogether. Be cautious. Go slow. Be safe.

Many trainers are not as knowledgeable as they think they are. Be especially careful of those that exhort you to greater effort and to push you harder. It's all too common, and can be very dangerous.
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote