Quadruple Bypass surgery recovery?

Scuba - a couple things your DH may want to consider after he recovers from this are increasing the amount of exercise he gets, and reviewing his diet to make sure it is healthy overall. In my earlier post I mentioned the triglyceride/HDL ratio. If he had a lipid panel test done recently, he should have those numbers, and be able to figure out what his ratio is. Basically, you want to lower triglyceride, and raise HDL, so that your ratio is at or near 1.0. The best way to lower triglycerides is to reduce the amount of sugar and processed grains in the diet (things like bread, pasta, cookies, crackers, pretzels, chips, etc). Replace those things with whole foods, like veggies of all kinds, fish, eggs, grass-fed meat, and healthy fats. The best way to raise HDL is to get more exercise - some cardio, and also some resistance exercises to build muscle. One last thing - a few cappuccino's a day shouldn't be a big problem, unless he is drinking the "sweetened" cappuccinos, which can be loaded with either sugar or artificial sweeteners. I would personally avoid drinking anything with added sugar if I was concerned about cardiac health. Anyway, just some things to consider - hope he is still doing well and makes a full recovery.

There is nothing wrong with regular meat,it doesn't have to be grass fed. A cardio diet should be something you read widely about, talk over with your doctor and then tailor to something that will work for your individually. In fact diet has been proven to be a small factor...avoid bad fats yes and try to maintain a normal weight. I feel it works best if each person figures out their own diet instead of following other peoples ideas. Your more likely to have success.

Yeah, my LDL is considered high also (149), and my doctor also used to push statins on me. I declined the statins, but asked him to do an LDL particle size test, and he agreed to do it. The results came back showing that the vast majority of my LDL consisted of the larger, fluffy particles, which pose no danger to the heart (probably because I don't eat many processed grain products, and consume very little sugar). That result, combined with my other cardiac blood test markers (which were all good), caused him to finally stop pushing the statins.

Isn't it interesting that with the widespread use of statins the good LDL number keeps getting revised downward. 20 years ago my DH got dinged on a term life insurance physical because his HDL (which was around 100) pushed his total into the high range. They don't that anymore.

It's also my opinion that way too many primary care docs just write statins RXs and call it good.

HDL and LDL are just a number in your cardiac health.

Last edited:
There is nothing wrong with regular meat,it doesn't have to be grass fed. A cardio diet should be something you read widely about, talk over with your doctor and then tailor to something that will work for your individually. In fact diet has been proven to be a small factor...avoid bad fats yes and try to maintain a normal weight. I feel it works best if each person figures out their own diet instead of following other peoples ideas. Your more likely to have success.

Well, we'll have to disagree on whether diet is or is not closely linked to cardiac health. Quite a few studies have found a link between the Western diet, with it's high content of ultra-processed foods (including seed oils, high-fructose corn syrup, processed grain products) and poor cardiac health. Here is one, there are many others if you do a search: https://www.bmj.com/content/365/bmj.l1451

Also, keep in mind that doctors typically get very little training in the way of nutrition and healthy eating during their formal education. My experience is that a lot of doctors are hesitant to make any recommendations regarding diet and lifestyle, other than very general advice ("i.e., get more exercise and try to lose a little weight"). I do agree that everyone should do a lot of research and reading on their own before making any major dietary changes............I certainly did that.

As for meat, it's true that having any meat in your diet is better than having no meat, but there is a nutritional difference between grass-fed and CAFO-produced meat. Here is more information on that, for anyone that is interested: https://chriskresser.com/why-grass-fed-trumps-grain-fed-and-why-you-should-try-it/

As I said before the main thing on diet is to keep at an acceptable weight. That would include limited corn syrup and highly processed foods, so that's a good start.

It wasn't that long ago they told us not to eat eggs and butter, so it's a work in progress.

Should I Get a Coronary CT Scan?

JAMA Internal Medicine Patient Page--Should I Get a Coronary CT Scan?

ipg210001fa_1619193285.52146.png

I guess the calcium test is still somewhat controversial although my cardiologist uses it at UCSF and so do others that I’ve read.

There’s a heart attack risk calculator that also uses it. The difference between a 0 and 100 for example is very significant.

https://www.mesa-nhlbi.org/MESACHDRisk/MesaRiskScore/RiskScore.aspx

True story. One of my friends decided to do a calcium scan and ended up with a very high score, over 1000. Took it to his doctor and long story short after further tests he ended up getting a triple bypass in short order. Hes sure that the test saved him.

Here’s a good article from the Skeptical Cardiologist

https://theskepticalcardiologist.co...oronary-artery-calcium-scan-score-circa-2019/

Last edited:
My uncle had a quadruple bypass 6 or 7 years ago. He did absolutely nothing for his recovery. He never did any of the rehab exercises and never even followed up with his cardiologist or went to an appointment because he didn't like the traffic around the doctor's office. He made absolutely no changes to his diet. I think his mind may be going but at this point his ticker seems fine.

I had a cardiac calcium test a few weeks ago based on my family history (mother died of a heart attack at 70, as did her sister when she was just 49).

The test was easy, quick and cheap ($99). Insurance didn't pay but $99 is a great price for peace of mind.

The test showed a score of zero which means I have no plaque at all which was a relief.

bmcgonig; said:
I guess the calcium test is still somewhat controversial although my cardiologist uses it at UCSF and so do others that I’ve read.

There’s a heart attack risk calculator that also uses it. The difference between a 0 and 100 for example is very significant.

https://www.mesa-nhlbi.org/MESACHDRisk/MesaRiskScore/RiskScore.aspx

True story. One of my friends decided to do a calcium scan and ended up with a very high score, over 1000. Took it to his doctor and long story short after further tests he ended up getting a triple bypass in short order. Hes sure that the test saved him.

Here’s a good article from the Skeptical Cardiologist

https://theskepticalcardiologist.co...oronary-artery-calcium-scan-score-circa-2019/

In 2016 I had a cardiac calcium scan done and had a score of 1037. There was a 95% chance of a cardiac event within five years. I’m in the 5% [emoji16].
My cardiologist put me on 40mg of atorvastatin daily and I haven’t missed one. I know there are a lot of statin haters on this forum, but I’m one of those that definitely needs them. My stress tests and carotid scans have been good. While I’ve modified my diet, I can’t eliminate meat. I’m limited on many veggies, including most beans. I try to limit processed foods and avoid fructose and lactose. I don’t know why, but my triglycerides are always a problem.
I see my cardiologist next month and am going to ask if I should get another cardiac calcium scan.

If these calcium scans are so important, why are they not covered by insurance or Medicare? :confused:

If you look at the earlier post’s chart from JAMA it seems like it’s not universally agreed that it’s important.

Thank you for the link.

It has led me down a big rabbit hole regarding aspirin. I take a daily low dose aspirin but now see it's not recommended. The cardiologist at your link is against it for primary prevention as the risk of bleeds outweighs the benefits and seems to be supported by recent studies.

In my case though the gastroenterologist doing my colonoscopy told me back in 2012 it was "good stuff" as it lowered the risk of colon cancer (I had polyps in 2007 but none in 2012 or 2017).

Asking my PCP is no help. Their attitude seems to be take it if you want, don't take it if you don't want to.

Scuba - I'm wishing you and your DH the best of health. I was diagnosed with aFib / aFlutter 3 years ago. Recently a 48 hour Holter monitor revealed persistent flutter, had an ablation April 5 and now in the healing 'blanking' period. Fortunately, we now have these procedures, a quadruple bypass for your DH and ablation for me. Likely lifestyle changes ahead - and for those who have not had any of these procedures, practice prevention - you'd rather not need them !
Rich

My uncle had a quadruple bypass 6 or 7 years ago. He did absolutely nothing for his recovery. He never did any of the rehab exercises and never even followed up with his cardiologist or went to an appointment because he didn't like the traffic around the doctor's office. He made absolutely no changes to his diet. I think his mind may be going but at this point his ticker seems fine.

Sounds like my dad...heart attack at 42, had his quad bypass just before age 60, back to smoking 2 packs a day within a few weeks.

Died last year in his 80s, almost 25 years after the bypass.

In 2016 I had a cardiac calcium scan done and had a score of 1037. There was a 95% chance of a cardiac event within five years. I’m in the 5% [emoji16].
My cardiologist put me on 40mg of atorvastatin daily and I haven’t missed one. I know there are a lot of statin haters on this forum, but I’m one of those that definitely needs them. My stress tests and carotid scans have been good. While I’ve modified my diet, I can’t eliminate meat. I’m limited on many veggies, including most beans. I try to limit processed foods and avoid fructose and lactose. I don’t know why, but my triglycerides are always a problem.
I see my cardiologist next month and am going to ask if I should get another cardiac calcium scan.

Congrats on beating the odds! I too was in the 'never statins' camp until my 243 CAC last year. Got a 40 mg atorvastatin Rx, but stuck with the 20 mg intro dose. I'm also taking daily amla powder (Indian gooseberry) and have eliminated all added oils and sugars. My LDL went from 143 to 55 in 2 months.

Not sure how high your Tryglcerides are, but mine seem very sensitive to simple carbs. I try to stick to whole grains, and whole, non-processed, plant-based foods are much as possible.

Congrats on beating the odds! I too was in the 'never statins' camp until my 243 CAC last year. Got a 40 mg atorvastatin Rx, but stuck with the 20 mg intro dose. I'm also taking daily amla powder (Indian gooseberry) and have eliminated all added oils and sugars. My LDL went from 143 to 55 in 2 months.

Not sure how high your Tryglcerides are, but mine seem very sensitive to simple carbs. I try to stick to whole grains, and whole, non-processed, plant-based foods are much as possible.

This brings up an interesting questions is there such a thing as a too low LDL number? I don't think we have a definitive answer for that question at this point in time. I wonder if anyone not on statins has LDL at 50 or lower.

HenryD; said:

Earlier this month my triglycerides were 288. I see my cardiologist mid May and I’m sure he’ll say something. Between my heart, kidneys, liver and digestive tract issues, my proposed dietary suggestions all conflict with each other. So I try to strike a balance and so far it works.

Four weeks after DH’s heart attack, we have better insight. Here is what we’ve gleaned from his cardiologist and several neighbors/acquaintances.
- DH will likely feel significantly better after completing a cardiac rehab program, which he should be able to start within the next couple of weeks. It’s 12 weeks, 3 times a week.
- However, getting back to his pre heart attack/bypass surgery “normal” will likely take at least 6 months, maybe as much as a year.
- Once he is finally back to “normal,” he may feel even better than before the surgery as he won’t have the obstructions he had then.

Does this sound right to those of you who have been through this? We are definitely cancelling our July/August Croatia trip based on this information.

Does this sound right to those of you who have been through this? We are definitely cancelling our July/August Croatia trip based on this information.

I'm going through my own heart surgery recovery now (stents), and yes this sounds right. I was naive, thinking I'd be better almost immediately after my procedures. But I am definitely feeling stronger, now, although I still have a ways to go. From my experience, anyway, patience is important for the emotional aspect of the recovery. It took a couple of weeks of cardiac rehab before I started noticing the beneficial effects. I'm now not 100% by any means, but significantly better. I expect to be 100% "soon," but I no longer project a date for that 100%. FWIW I think it was smart for you to postpone that trip.

Glad to hear you DH is coming along well. For me, the advantage of the cardio rehab program was to have some social contact with other folks going through a similar life changing process and provided encouragement, in a monitored environment, to become active and not worry about heart issues. I opted out after 16 sessions as I felt I was progressing too slow, the weather started changing to pleasant, and I have always hated exercising indoors. But I had always been pretty active.

As I mentioned in post #10, getting the meds and dosages adjusted takes some time also.

- DH will likely feel significantly better after completing a cardiac rehab program, which he should be able to start within the next couple of weeks. It’s 12 weeks, 3 times a week.
- However, getting back to his pre heart attack/bypass surgery “normal” will likely take at least 6 months, maybe as much as a year.
- Once he is finally back to “normal,” he may feel even better than before the surgery as he won’t have the obstructions he had then.

This sounds about right for any extensive/organ type surgery, especially one that put him flat out for a few weeks. And for anything (illness, surgery, etc.) I figure an average of one week of recovery for every day in the hospital just to overcome the atrophy of everything, then adjusting by age and starting fitness.

His doc/pt may also encourage additional activity based on his progress after the first couple of weeks in the program.

Four weeks after DH’s heart attack, we have better insight. Here is what we’ve gleaned from his cardiologist and several neighbors/acquaintances.

I had OHS via median sternotomy 9 weeks ago for mitral valve repair so can partially relate.

How is your DH doing mentally and physically today compared to prior?

Did you say the trip is 11 weeks post surgery?

That sounds about right. I only had the stents installed but never had a heart attack. I just knew I had a problem and called the doc before the heart attack, but one was well on the way - the LAD (AKA "widowmaker") was 90% blocked. Not having actually had the heart attack accelerated recovery and they kicked me out of cardiac rehab at about six weeks if memory serves. They said there was nothing further to be gained for me since I'd been going to the gym for several years before all that started.

I'm going through my own heart surgery recovery now (stents), and yes this sounds right. I was naive, thinking I'd be better almost immediately after my procedures. But I am definitely feeling stronger, now, although I still have a ways to go. From my experience, anyway, patience is important for the emotional aspect of the recovery. It took a couple of weeks of cardiac rehab before I started noticing the beneficial effects. I'm now not 100% by any means, but significantly better. I expect to be 100% "soon," but I no longer project a date for that 100%. FWIW I think it was smart for you to postpone that trip.

Best wishes for your recovery and thank you for sharing.

Back
Top Bottom