Quadruple Bypass surgery recovery?

Scuba

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
My DH had emergency quadruple bypass surgery yesterday. We were completely shocked as he just had an annual physical on 3/28 with no indication of any issues. Wednesday night he had chest pain that radiated to his arm so I took him to the ER. Fortunately he survived the surgery and the Cardiac ICU nurses say he’s doing really well. He is 63 and had no previous health issues - has never smoked, light drinker, very slightly overweight (200-210, 6 ft tall), no diabetes or any other chronic disease). He didn’t exercise much and he did drink a lot of cappuccino - probably 6+ per day.

For those of you who have been through this, what lifestyle changes were necessary to minimize future cardiac risk?

If you are a spouse of someone who had a major cardiac event, how has this affected your life? I’m scared now that he could have another heart attack or worse yet, a stroke.

Thank you for any information you’re willing to share.

I’m 63 - had a quadruple bypass 7 years ago. I remember talking to my surgeon about what I could do after the surgery. His answer was - anything! He did recommend shopping around the perimeter of the grocery store (a little less processed foods).

I recommend walking as much as possible once allowed to regain stamina. I now exercise 60-75 minutes a day (weight training, rowing, etc). Have rowed a couple of half marathons just to show myself I could do it.

My advise is to stay away from people that complain about medications and recovery. The bypass surgery provides a great 2nd chance. Every day is a good day.

I'm so sorry to hear this. My Dad had a quad bypass when he was 58. He didn't drink as much coffee as your DH, but otherwise he sounds similar -- a tall man, just slightly overweight, never smoked, mostly healthy, never had high colesterol or other risk factors.

Like your husband's, the whole event was very sudden, one day he was planning to come visit for my daughter's first birthday, and the next day he was having major surgery. I remember the recovery period afterwards was pretty long. He got tired very easily and slept a lot more than usual for the first 6 months or so, and I'd say it was probably a year before he was fully back to normal. He was not yet retired, and he went back to work (electrical engineering) after 3 months off. The surgery was overall a great success and he lived to age 80.

I know some people from the Mended Hearts organization visited him and my Mom in the hospital. They shared their experiences with having gone through this and gave a lot of advice on what to expect during recovery and afterwards, and they also had a support group for the spouses. My parents found this organization so helpful that they both ended up volunteering with them for several years and made some lifelong friends. If you see something similar is offered in your hospital, I highly recommend spending a few minutes with them just to have some direct contact with someone who's been through the same thing you're going through. Even if you don't need them right now, you might in a few months.

I wish you and your DH both all the best.

Last edited:
Two of my friends had the same surgery in the last couple of years, both were overweight and didn't do much in the way of prevention (not that it mattered).

Both are OK now and watch their diet and exercise a good bit. One is in my golf foursome, the other is a "walker". All of us guys are in our mid to late 70's.

So, diet and exercise are important to help prevent another incident.

Maybe this can give some perspective, based on my recent, ongoing, experience: 2 months ago I had 2 stents put in 2 coronary arteries; 4 weeks later (March 25) had 2 additional stents. Prior to this I was an avid runner, swimmer, cyclist, weightlifter. I'm still in recovery, so cannot resume my activities yet. I am currently up to walking 10 minutes at a time, 3 times a day.
In addition, I am now doing "cardiac rehab." This is a controlled set of exercising as an outpatient at hospital. I'm on a monitor while I do exercises on stationary and recumbent bikes, as well as hand cycle. I will later "graduate" to weights and treadmill, over the 8 week program. If this has not yet been mentioned to your DH, you should ask about cardiac rehab. My understanding is that bypass surgery is much more invasive than stenting, so it's possible cardiac rehab may be too soon for DH, but you should ask.

ETA: I didn't eat a bad diet before, but I had my vices. My doctor told me - no surprise - "everything in moderation," and as long as I don't go overboard I do not have to deprive myself of the OCCASIONAL treat. In my case, anyway, he said over time I will be back to my pre-surgical lifestyle and exercising.

Last edited:
In August, my wife fainted, and I rushed her to the emergency room. Her blood pressure was "54 over dead" and her heart was beating about 150x per minute. She was in AFIB. They "shocked" her back into rhythm the next day and she's been okay until now.

2 weeks ago, she woke up coughing and she wasn't thinking straight. I took her back to the same emergency room, and she slipped into a coma within 15 minutes. I thought she was having a heart attack. A quick blood gas indicated her CO2 was extremely elevated--and she had pneumonia. They put her on Bipap and blew out the CO2, and she came back as fast as she went down.

My wife had an appointment with a heart surgeon to do a heart ablation for the AFIB--the best way to insure no more AFIB episodes. Now we've got to get back in line again as he's booked up weeks ahead. In the meantime, she's taking meds for the rhythm.

When it comes to the heart, some issues come on slowly and some come on very fast. Just be very attuned to your health, and the signs to watch for. And if you have any of the symptoms, don't hesitate to head for the emergency room or see your doctor.

We're sorry what your DH has had to go through. But glad he was taken care of, and he'll back doing his regular routine shortly. They'll be preaching healthy eating--diet change--to you.

How much pain and how long does it last ?

I worry I won't recognize it happening, as my Mom didn't recognize it and then just slowly died.
She said she didn't feel well, and was tired, not exactly an alarming situation.

^ I too have felt some things that worried me. I made an appointment with the cardiologist and I am on the schedule for a treadmill test in June.
I had my own trip to the cath lab in 2017 with chest pains, and they found nothing actionable. I had some slight blockages and the thought was I had pericarditis due to a head cold. I went on avarastatin until I developed that severe allergy to it. I stayed with the 325 aspirin.
After the cath lab trip I was off the treadmill for a month or so, and then worked back up to the previous levels.
Scuba, that event sneaked up on him. Now he is in a program and they will be looking to minimize his future risks.
Some of the diet changes might be surprising, but expect a cut in sugars. They are not so good for us all.

How much pain and how long does it last ?

I worry I won't recognize it happening, as my Mom didn't recognize it and then just slowly died.
She said she didn't feel well, and was tired, not exactly an alarming situation.

I had a different kind of heart problem. Last month I spent 4 days in the ICU from a Saddle Pulmonary Embolism. The Cardiologist at the hospital said it was “life threatening”. I was able to do my daily 3 mile walk on Monday. Struggled and out of breath on Tuesday. Didn’t walk and in denial on Wednesday and in the Emergency room on Thursday. Before that I had no warning signs.
In its wake it left me with Atrial Flutter and a reduced Ejection Fraction %. I’m 61, thin and very active. At least I was very active. After a month of recovery my doctor has limited me to 45 minutes of light exercise a day.
I will have a stint put in at the end of this month and a probable Ablation procedure in the near future.

For those of you who have been through this, what lifestyle changes were necessary to minimize future cardiac risk?

If you are a spouse of someone who had a major cardiac event, how has this affected your life? I’m scared now that he could have another heart attack or worse yet, a stroke.

Life style changes: diet and exercise.
Largest challenge for my spouse: dealing with depression, mostly mine.

History. I was very active and in good shape, but family history and genes trumped all my effort to be invincible. At the age of 70, two and a half years ago, I had a heart attack with no hint of any problems. Major blockages and cardiac heart disease. Quad bypass followed three days later by a stroke.

Physically, the first four months were difficult, constantly tired, multiple naps each day, frustrated with the feeling that my life's favorite activities may no longer be within reach. I became extremely regular in walking and hiking (a local forest preserve became my refuge). Strongly believed in the concept of use it or lose it. One day, I forgot to take the heart meds, a beta-blocker, and for the first time in month, I felt normal and energetic. Related my experience with my cardiologist and got off that nasty drug. I understand the reason for the beta-blocker but I was an atypical candidate, it forced my resting heart rate too low (mid-40s). My standard resting heart rate is now 50s

I was extremely fortunate in that I survived the heart with virtually no heart damage, all tests on heart performance are normal to high. However, the cardiologist is aggressively interested in getting my LDL results low to prevent the cardiac disease process from also blocking the bypasses. Once off the beta- blocker, within four additional months I was back to cycling, jogging, snow shoveling, lawn mowing.

The stroke and resulting aphasia (speech, reading, writing, math difficulties) took much longer to recover from and to much frustration and depression. Required much encouragement and patients on my wife's part. Again, use it lose it, so I read (or attempted to read) as much as possible. For about six months, I never knew what my capabilities would be like from day to day, my abilities would change from day to day.

Again, I have been very fortunate in regaining much of my cognizant abilities. Currently a volunteer in the iRS VITA tax program.

Life style changes: diet and exercise.
Largest challenge for my spouse: dealing with depression, mostly mine.

History. I was very active and in good shape, but family history and genes trumped all my effort to be invincible. At the age of 70, two and a half years ago, I had a heart attack with no hint of any problems. Major blockages and cardiac heart disease. Quad bypass followed three days later by a stroke.

Physically, the first four months were difficult, constantly tired, multiple naps each day, frustrated with the feeling that my life's favorite activities may no longer be within reach. I became extremely regular in walking and hiking (a local forest preserve became my refuge). Strongly believed in the concept of use it or lose it. One day, I forgot to take the heart meds, a beta-blocker, and for the first time in month, I felt normal and energetic. Related my experience with my cardiologist and got off that nasty drug. I understand the reason for the beta-blocker but I was an atypical candidate, it forced my resting heart rate too low (mid-40s). My standard resting heart rate is now 50s

I was extremely fortunate in that I survived the heart with virtually no heart damage, all tests on heart performance are normal to high. However, the cardiologist is aggressively interested in getting my LDL results low to prevent the cardiac disease process from also blocking the bypasses. Once off the beta- blocker, within four additional months I was back to cycling, jogging, snow shoveling, lawn mowing.

The stroke and resulting aphasia (speech, reading, writing, math difficulties) took much longer to recover from and to much frustration and depression. Required much encouragement and patients on my wife's part. Again, use it lose it, so I read (or attempted to read) as much as possible. For about six months, I never knew what my capabilities would be like from day to day, my abilities would change from day to day.

Again, I have been very fortunate in regaining much of my cognizant abilities. Currently a volunteer in the iRS VITA tax program.

Amazing recovery. You are very fortunate.

I have a dozen close friends over 75 and all kinds of negative health things are happening within the group. We lost one group friend to a series of strokes over the last 6 months. He was my weekly golf partner and was 85 and healthy. :(

This day and age with advancements in medical diagnostics, we still don't give meaningful routine tests to old folks? It's disappointing that stuff like this can happen right after a good yearĺy physical.

The heart CT scan is expensive and most insurances will not pay for it. I ran into that myself. I will do a treadmill test and if that indicates a need then the cardiologist can try and get it through.
We can all have plaques in the arteries, and function just fine until one of the plaques ruptures and starts the full blockage that results in an MI.

Thank you all for sharing your stories. It sounds encouraging. I hope DH can in time live a relatively normal life again. He definitely needs to be more active and I’m willing to be more vigilant in the kitchen to support our health.

We have a trip booked in 11 weeks to Croatia for a couple of months. I’m thinking we will have to cancel, but we have some time before we have to decide. I’m feeling like we shouldn’t push it and should perhaps defer any travel until the fall. Am I being too pessimistic?

Thank you all for sharing your stories. It sounds encouraging. I hope DH can in time live a relatively normal life again. He definitely needs to be more active and I’m willing to be more vigilant in the kitchen to support our health.

We have a trip booked in 11 weeks to Croatia for a couple of months. I’m thinking we will have to cancel, but we have some time before we have to decide. I’m feeling like we shouldn’t push it and should perhaps defer any travel until the fall. Am I being too pessimistic?

What does the cardiologist say about the trip? I would follow his/her recommendations.

Scuba--the cardiologist will be your best friend for a while. Follow her/his recommendations.
Also, if no one has mentioned it, check on Cardiac Rehab through the hospital. It is a great program, usually run by RN and RD and if ordered by Dr, is paid for via insurance (at least my DF was when he developed heart failure) It is pretty intensive, if I remember and requires weekly classes, but you and DH will greatly benefit, I believe.

Best Wishes to both of you during his recovery. Take care of yourself, as you help your DH.

The heart CT scan is expensive and most insurances will not pay for it. I ran into that myself. I will do a treadmill test and if that indicates a need then the cardiologist can try and get it through.
We can all have plaques in the arteries, and function just fine until one of the plaques ruptures and starts the full blockage that results in an MI.

Does the CT scan show heart abnormalities? I can't get my head around healthy and active one day and getting a quadruple bypass the next.

My DSI had a bad case of Covid. Normally, she has low blood pressure. Out of the blue, her heart would start racing and BP shoots up. She's been to ER several times and wore a heart monitor. Drs can't figure it out. Due to Covid? This happens every so often now. She's under normal daily stress and back to the ER.

Some folks have mentioned treadmill tests. My internist, who was very wise and data oriented, said treadmill tests generally only detected heart disease if you were at a point that climbing 2 flights of stairs made you extremely winded.

I deferred doing one for a long time though cardiologist was pressuring me to. Finally gave in--passed with flying colors.

Four months later after a "heart event" it was discovered I had a 95 percent blockage just below my earlier stent...in the Widowmaker.

All better now. But I continue to be very diligent about signs of problems.

I'm not sure treadmill tests are the answer but of course defer to your trusted care providers.

Last edited:
That is great news all went well!

Some folks have mentioned treadmill tests. My internist, who was very wise and data oriented, said treadmill tests generally only detected heart disease if you were at a point that climbing 2 flights of stairs made you extremely winded.

I deferred doing one for a long time though cardiologist was pressuring me to. Finally gave in--passed with flying colors.

Four months later after a "heart event" it was discovered I had a 95 percent blockage just below my earlier stent...in the Widowmaker.

All better now. But I continue to be very diligent about signs of problems.

I'm not sure treadmill tests are the answer but of course defer to your trusted care providers.

So what is the test ?

I've had sharp pains in the heart area, that last 5->10 seconds, then go away. So I worry something is wrong.
I told my doc days or weeks later, and he did an EKG said everything was fine.
I've had 2 EKG's , he says all is fine.

I can walk a mile, no issues, but I still worry every time I get a sharp short pain in the chest.

My DH had emergency quadruple bypass surgery yesterday. We were completely shocked as he just had an annual physical on 3/28 with no indication of any issues. Wednesday night he had chest pain that radiated to his arm so I took him to the ER. Fortunately he survived the surgery and the Cardiac ICU nurses say he’s doing really well. He is 63 and had no previous health issues - has never smoked, light drinker, very slightly overweight (200-210, 6 ft tall), no diabetes or any other chronic disease). He didn’t exercise much and he did drink a lot of cappuccino - probably 6+ per day.

Thank you for any information you’re willing to share.

People who have heart attacks can have cholesterol numbers all over the place but I'm curious whether his HDL ('good' cholesterol) was low.

You walk and run on a treadmill while they monitor your heart. Basically they increase the pace or incline until you become exhausted. They monitor and analyze all the key heart metrics.

But the heart is resilient and does not always reveal its secrets.

My guess is you want a heart scan. I'm going to ask my cardio about that.

Sharp intermittent chest pain is something I experience frequently. It sent me to ER once. If it does not worsen upon exertion my cardio tells me it is not cardiac.

You might look up "costochondritis" and see if symptoms match.

As always consult with your health care providers and follow their guidance.

Last edited:
The heart CT scan is expensive and most insurances will not pay for it.

Just out of curiosity, I looked up my bill for a heart scan last December. Radiology charged $393.00, Blue Shield paid $0, I paid $393.00.

I’m not a cardiologist, but from what I’ve read, a heart scan is a CT of the heart looking for the presence of and extent of calcifications in the coronary arteries. Absence of calcifications gives a high probability that plaque rupture in the coronary arteries will not occur in the next 5 years.

Back
Top Bottom